Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-08, 03:40 AM   #1
kinzeron

Default 173/169 driver bad performance on ubuntu

Hi,

I have an Asus A8SC, the gfx card is a GeForce 8400M G!!! just G, no GS, GT, or any other. The graphics rendering is slowing the system down to a zombie when running the Xorg, however when using xserver-xgl, the performance is quite good and response is smooth. I have tried all the drivers but none was able to deliver a good performance (yep even the 173 beta). So, can you tell me how can I have the same performance on Xorg without using XGL? and is my Card supported after all!

I bought a laptop with nvidia to get away from the trouble on linux, sadly the performance sux...

Regards,
kinzeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 05:45 AM   #2
txf

Default Re: 173/169 driver bad performance on ubuntu

Yay, another bad desktop performance post. I sympathize seeing as I have the same problems.

The reason XGL works well is because it uses opengl to accelerate drawing of primitves and nobody contests nvidia's opengl performance. The irony here is that nvidia supported aiglx instead of xgl and yet now we get better desktop performance on xgl. There are disadvantages such as bad ogl performance, no nvidia-settings and no nonfree flash to name a few. There was some hope for glucose which does the same thing and it was scheduled to be included in xog 7.4 but now it is MIA.

welcome to the club
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 08:22 AM   #3
kinzeron

hmm, that ain't encouraging, what is different between linux 2D and windows 2D! win 2D is by many order of magnitude faster than nvidia claimed AIGLX for their cards. Why windows drawing is faster? Shouldn't there be some flags to turn on/off? Ah yes, you can do tweaks like that, because the driver isn't opensource!

Can we have an official statement from nVidia ppl on this subject, at least out of respect for their custommers?

Regards
Old 05-08-08, 08:26 AM   #4
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinzeron

Can we have an official statement from nVidia ppl on this subject, at least out of respect for their custommers?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=42

and for the speed of gtk:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...4&postcount=49

(in this case: gtkperf, the app to test gtk speed.
But what he says goes for gtk (cpu, theme in use and other things
has big impact on speed))

So:
This is not only an issue on nvidia side,
and nvidia is working on solving problems on their side.

hth

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 09:26 AM   #5
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=42

and for the speed of gtk:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...4&postcount=49

(in this case: gtkperf, the app to test gtk speed.
But what he says goes for gtk (cpu, theme in use and other things
has big impact on speed))
But what about users with older cards like 6800 which suffer from very slow 2D performance? I think that nvidia don't care about Linux users...
Old 05-09-08, 02:09 AM   #6
Linuxhippy

Quote:
But what about users with older cards like 6800 which suffer from very slow 2D performance? I think that nvidia don't care about Linux users...
I don't know what to say ... but for me it has always be the same.
I also trusted NVidia some time ago, I trusted many companies when I was younger.

My mind has changed, also because I have been disappointed by companies quite often ... and although I am by far not as fanatic I quite understand now what stallman is talking about.
If code and spec is closed, you don't really own the thing, and its useless without the goodwill of the company.

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 03:18 AM   #7
kinzeron

NvFuchs, the problem exists since the release of GeForce 8, so the question is what were the engineers doing all that time? Shouldn't we get at least the performance we paid for?

Hope they work it out soon, because the more it is going to take, the more customers are going to be unsatisfied, and of course, that would change the sales figure in the future!

So nVidia, you'd better be REALLY working on this issue, because and, after more than 6 months, the solution is not here yet. I can't but doubt your effort

Regards