Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-08, 07:17 AM   #1
kebw2

Exclamation Monitor turns off after boot and before login screen due to Nvidia driver - Ubuntu

The problem:
My monitor seems to be having a problem in that after it boots up with the Ubuntu splash screen and just before it shows the graphical login it displays:
Quote:
usplash 1024x768: Failed
usplash someresolutionthaticantremember: Failed
usplash somesmallerresolutionthatialsocantremember: Failed.
Using 800x600...
Or words to that effect, and then my monitor simply shuts itself off. After I Ctrl+Alt+Backspace it gives me a CLI login, and from there I did sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf to make it sort itself out. Upon restart, this worked, although the Nvidia Restricted Driver is disabled - this had previously given me no problems. Whenever and however I reenable this driver the problem comes back. As stated, without the driver the display does function, but I can't use Compiz. I like Compiz

Potential causes:
This could be down to two things:
- Before I last restarted my computer I received quite a few system updates
- I "uninstalled" (i.e. used gparted to simply delete) my Kubuntu partition - causing problems with my GRUB etc, but that's another story...

Extra factors:
In an attempt to get my GRUB back i installed Ubuntu again on the partition where Kubuntu used to be, and now I can boot both successfully.
On the fresh Ubuntu install the NVidia drivers work fine - with all the updates installed. I tried copypasting the fresh Ubuntu's xorg.conf into the original Ubuntu's since all the hardware is identical but this just caused the problem again.

Some specs:
Graphics card: NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
Installed Driver: "NVidia binary X.Org driver ('new' driver)" (This is disabled on original Ubuntu install)

Any help is greatly appreciated
kebw2 is offline   Reply With Quote