Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-10-08, 07:01 AM   #1
Tub

Default strange Xinerama configuration?

Hi,

I'm currently using TwinView with two monitors (and one gfx board), but I've got the option to get a cheap third monitor, so I was wondering if my desired configuration actually works before spending the money.

I want to keep my two monitors attached via TwinView and add the second one using a cheap gfx card using Xinerama.
(I'm aware that that'll kill the Xinerama information from TwinView and I'll have to work around that)

It'll look like this:
Code:
    -----
   |GPU A|  --> Monitor 1
   | :0  |
   |     |  --> Monitor 2
    -----
   |GPU B|  --> Monitor 3
    -----
According to other threads here, it's possible. But I still need to do some gaming, right? Of course, the second cheap gfx card won't do no good there, and I prefer to spawn a second X server for games anyway. Which means: only use twin view (or even single screen) on GPU A.
Code:
    -----
   |GPU A|  --> Monitor 1
   | :1  |
   |     |  --> Monitor 2
    -----
The difficult question is: is it possible to have the third monitor still display the third screen from :0 while I'm switched to :1? Like this?
Code:
    -----
   |GPU A|  --> Monitor 1
   | :1  |
   |     |  --> Monitor 2
    -----
   |GPU B|  --> Monitor 3
    -----
Yes, mouse/keyboard won't work on :0 when switched to :1, I just want the picture displayed. Is it possible for apps on :0 to draw stuff when GPU A isn't available, even when it just needs to redraw on GPU B's parts? Or is that question moot since the WM will need access to all Xinerama screens anyway, thus blocking draw operations?

I know I could just ditch Xinerama and set up Monitor 3 on a different X screen. But then I'd have to switch X servers each time I'd want to work on Monitor 3, and I couldn't just drag a reference manual over there, so that's kind of useless.
Tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 12:37 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: strange Xinerama configuration?

No, that's unfortunately not one of the configurations the X server supports. Either all of the configured devices are available or none of them are.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 02:09 PM   #3
Tub

Default Re: strange Xinerama configuration?

thanks a lot.

I suspect it might still be possible to reach the goal by abusing DMX, but the amount of misconfiguration required for that will only lead to tears and performance issues, so I won't even try.
Tub is offline   Reply With Quote