Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-03, 04:58 PM   #1
AFCommando

Default can't get any sound

I've been trying to get my onboard sound on my MSI K7N2G-ILSR working in linux for over a week now without any success. I'm using kernel 2.5 w/ alsa in the kernel. snd-intel8x0 is the driver I'm using. The driver loads fine, no error messages or anything. But when I try to play mp3s or media files, all the programs I've tried (xine, xmms, mpg123) failed. They seem to only get so far as to try to load the sound to the device, but thats it.

Like if I push play on xmms, it'll stay at 0:00 and with mpg123 I tell it to play a mp3, and after like 5 mins I'll do ctrl+c and it'll give me [0:00] <filename> meaning its decoded nothing of the song. If I were to add the -t argument (Test mode. The audio stream is decoded, but no output occurs.) It'll finish in like 1 second.

I can't find any error messages in any of my logs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm banging my head on the desk now. I know the hardware works, cause I dual boot with Windows 2000 Professional, and everything works fine there.
AFCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-03, 07:25 AM   #2
Kiamu

hmm...

could be anything.

as for my experience with xmms under kde: if the arts sound server is started, you will not be able to play anything with it. until you stop the server.

alsa in general: (this point i always forget after a new linux installation ) all channels are muted by default. you have to unmute them to hear anything...
Kiamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-03, 11:17 AM   #3
AFCommando

I'm not using gnome or kde, so I don't think the arts thing is an issue. Would a muted channel prevent mp3s from being decoded? I realized if it was playing but I didn't hear any sounds, it would be another story. But it seems to have problems just trying to decode anything and sending it to the audio device.
Old 05-06-03, 04:14 PM   #4
Kiamu

Quote:
Originally posted by AFCommando
I'm not using gnome or kde, so I don't think the arts thing is an issue. Would a muted channel prevent mp3s from being decoded? I realized if it was playing but I didn't hear any sounds, it would be another story. But it seems to have problems just trying to decode anything and sending it to the audio device.
i even did _not_ mention it could be a solution. just a bit of my experience with some BTE errors that occur while i meddle around with sound. (rare information about distro/system/version of software = wild guesses)

in my oppinion running a (still) totally unstable 2.5 series is never a good option until you _really_ know what you are doing. switch back to 2.4 and i guess most of your problems will be solved.

ah and another hint: check if all devices are correctly created and the permissions are suitable. check if any daemon/server is using the devices. but i am sure you have done all of that, including RTFMing...
Kiamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-03, 05:23 PM   #5
AFCommando

Thanks for the friendly reminder but I was testing as root so I don't think thats an issue. I'll take ur advice and go back to 2.4. Its too bad though before i switched motherboards, everything was working fine in 2.5
Old 05-08-03, 12:17 PM   #6
AFCommando

I finally figured it out apparently it was something with acpi

I thought i disabled it when I added noacpi to my boot parameter, but apparently u have to use acpi=off to disable it

Just thought I'd let you know

Thanks for your posts on trying to help me.