Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-03, 05:17 PM   #1
Nigel J

Default Laptop stretching issues....

I have a problem with trhe drivers running on two Dell laptops, one is a Latitude C840 and the other a Precision M50.

The drivers appear to work great for most of the time, but when left idle or if the screen is closed upon opening the image is stretched horizontally (it appears to show only the left most 640 pixels that get stretched across the whole of the 1600x1200 display)

Now I also have a slightly older Latitude C840 and I have absolutely no problems at all with this stretch issue!!!

I've tried a number of older drivers right up to the newest, and they all work fine on the old laptop but not on the newer ones.

The two latitudes are identical except for different CPU speeds (1.6GHz and 2.4GHz), and the Dell BIOS are different (older one has BIOS A02, the newer ones have A08 and A09).

I've also tried a number of different kernels , from vanilla 2.4.17-2.4.20 and custom ones that I built myself and got all the same issues .....

I can sometimes fix the stretch with the switch to terminal then back to X, but this is intermitant and will sometimes crash the machine...
One of the laptops is to go into an exhibit in a museum and is to be operated by complete novices... so the terminal switch would be a complete nightmare...

Any help would be very very useful!

many thanks
Nigel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 10:48 AM   #2
mborgnia
Quadro4 500 GoGL

Default Same problem here with the latest version

So here goes the requested information Andy,

I reported a similar problem on my Dell Precision M50, Intel processor 2.4 GHz, with the previous version of the drivers.

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: Quadro4 500 GoGL
IRQ: 11
Video BIOS: 04.17.00.55.42
Card Type: AGP

The way I found to get out of this lock is to switch to a console and back. It doesn't always work. Last time Andy Mecham mentioned that Nvidia was working on this issue, unfortunately I did not receive any updates. Please keep me posted.

Thanks
mborgnia is offline   Reply With Quote