Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-13-08, 07:39 PM   #13
musman
I Derail Threads

Default Re: Overclocking E6300 browser shuts down Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Personally I get nervous at 50c and above. My E4600 is dead on 3ghz using an Ultima 90 heatsink and a silent Zalman 92mm fan, and maxes out at 44c.

Others here may feel differently, but 50c is my max even though more is safe. Depending on the airflow in your case, all you may need is a better fan setup.

Can you post a pic of your case with the side open? Better cooling may be easier than you're thinking.

EDIT: From what I can see, I think you are right about the max temp for that proc.
Here is my exact case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856110072

musman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 08:40 PM   #14
grey_1

Yep, a fan at the front for intake and one at the rear for exhaust will do wonders for you. I looked over the specs and didn't see what size fan it takes though, almost looks like 80mm. Fortunately they are easy to come by, lots of staples, bestbuys etc usually carry some. Screw them in, plug em in and you'll be running a good bit cooler.

If I were you, for now, I'd leave my side panel off and keep gaming.
Old 05-14-08, 05:07 PM   #15
musman
I Derail Threads

Quote:
Yep, a fan at the front for intake and one at the rear for exhaust will do wonders for you. I looked over the specs and didn't see what size fan it takes though, almost looks like 80mm. Fortunately they are easy to come by, lots of staples, bestbuys etc usually carry some. Screw them in, plug em in and you'll be running a good bit cooler.

If I were you, for now, I'd leave my side panel off and keep gaming.

I don't think they list a specification on the fan size? I can't find one. Looking at some on New Egg there is a lot of different air flow rates and things....computers are so complicated lol!

I'm going to get two fans, one in & one out like you said, over clock it to 2.0GHz and watch the temp. After that I will look into a CPU fan.
Old 05-14-08, 05:27 PM   #16
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by musman
I don't think they list a specification on the fan size? I can't find one. Looking at some on New Egg there is a lot of different air flow rates and things....computers are so complicated lol!

I'm going to get two fans, one in & one out like you said, over clock it to 2.0GHz and watch the temp. After that I will look into a CPU fan.
Just a thought, if you aren't overclocking much the retail cooler actually does a pretty respectable job. You can latch onto a decent case with good cooling for less than the cost of 2 fans and a new cpu heatsink.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119115

I use the above case for one of mine and while it isn't high performance, it is solid and cools well with the 120 in the rear. Plug another into the front slot later and you would be set.

Lots of options, especially if you aren't going to crank the cpu way up.
Old 05-14-08, 05:44 PM   #17
musman
I Derail Threads

Yea that's a good thought!

I just got off the phone with the guy who originally built my computer and he says that computer is not really made for overclocking. It's really hard to get information out of him & he's a nice guy and all just not always the most helpful.

I want to be able to overclock it to 3GHz if possible nothing more.

Here is the exact bare bones computer he got me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16856110072R

What do ya think? I think I could be going over my head lol.
Old 05-14-08, 05:57 PM   #18
XDanger
Whaaat?

The chip under the black Asus heatsink is probably getting too hot, See about a Zalman Passive NorthBridge Cooler ZM-NBF47

And maybe some little heatsinks on whatever else is hot.

And before you put a 120mm fan at the back ,Cut out the grill.

Also move that super long ide cable out of the way of the front fan (when you install one)
Old 05-14-08, 06:24 PM   #19
grey_1

Quote:
Yea that's a good thought!

I just got off the phone with the guy who originally built my computer and he says that computer is not really made for overclocking. It's really hard to get information out of him & he's a nice guy and all just not always the most helpful.

I want to be able to overclock it to 3GHz if possible nothing more.

Here is the exact bare bones computer he got me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16856110072R

What do ya think? I think I could be going over my head lol.
For $79 USD that's not bad at all.

Things to watch for if you plan on playing some of the latest games..

I decent graphics card - think 9600GT or better + overclocking your cpu to 3ghz will likely push that power supply to the edge. Most bundled PSUs in less expensive systems probably won't deliver max rated load for long.

XDanger makes a good point about the northbridge too, they get HOT when overclocking.

What specifically is going to be the main purpose of your rig, gaming?

If so, the 9600GT and a more solid power supply would be the best start..my opinion only.

9600GT$149.99
Better PSU $59.99
Fans for existing case x 2. $6.99 Each.

Just tossing some ideas out there for you to consider while keeping a reign on the cash going out....
Old 05-14-08, 06:33 PM   #20
XDanger
Whaaat?

Ive just seen the case has a duct , Take off the duct and put a 120mm (assuming the position of the holes) fan there but with a dust filter ,Then put the duct back on top of that

If you do that you might need a fan controller to get the balance right.

Or you could have the duct fan as your main air intake and the front and rear fans both as air out-takes (weird)

Old 05-14-08, 07:15 PM   #21
musman
I Derail Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger
The chip under the black Asus heatsink is probably getting too hot, See about a Zalman Passive NorthBridge Cooler ZM-NBF47

And maybe some little heatsinks on whatever else is hot.

And before you put a 120mm fan at the back ,Cut out the grill.

Also move that super long ide cable out of the way of the front fan (when you install one)

Thank XDanger, I will check that out.
Old 05-14-08, 07:21 PM   #22
musman
I Derail Threads

Quote:
For $79 USD that's not bad at all.

Things to watch for if you plan on playing some of the latest games..

I decent graphics card - think 9600GT or better + overclocking your cpu to 3ghz will likely push that power supply to the edge. Most bundled PSUs in less expensive systems probably won't deliver max rated load for long.

XDanger makes a good point about the northbridge too, they get HOT when overclocking.

What specifically is going to be the main purpose of your rig, gaming?

If so, the 9600GT and a more solid power supply would be the best start..my opinion only.

9600GT$149.99
Better PSU $59.99
Fans for existing case x 2. $6.99 Each.

Just tossing some ideas out there for you to consider while keeping a reign on the cash going out....

Here is the card I purchased a few months back before I ever thought of overclocking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150229

Main use is gaming & surfing the internet. He did say that the power supply is not made for overclocking.

I think I really need to think about all of this before I do anything, I have a bad habit of getting carried away with electronics. If you seen my main stereo system you would know what I'm talking about lol.
Old 05-14-08, 07:40 PM   #23
grey_1

Quote:
Here is the card I purchased a few months back before I ever thought of overclocking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150229

Main use is gaming & surfing the internet. He did say that the power supply is not made for overclocking.

I think I really need to think about all of this before I do anything, I have a bad habit of getting carried away with electronics. If you seen my main stereo system you would know what I'm talking about lol.
I feel your pain.
Old 05-15-08, 10:59 PM   #24
musman
I Derail Threads

I oveclocked it to 2.10GHz & run Orthos and the temp stays the same as if I never overclocked it?? I'm using speedfan and coretemp with identical readings.