Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-16-08, 08:45 AM   #25
grey_1

Default Re: Overclocking E6300 browser shuts down Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by musman
I oveclocked it to 2.10GHz & run Orthos and the temp stays the same as if I never overclocked it?? I'm using speedfan and coretemp with identical readings.
Not bad...my temps with a 600mhz overclock aren't much higher than at stock. From what I've read that stock cooler will handle a pretty decent overclock. Just take it slow and keep an eye on the temps. As long as you don't up the voltage you should be able to get a 4-500mhz clock increase out of that.
Old 05-16-08, 10:09 AM   #26
musman
I Derail Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Not bad...my temps with a 600mhz overclock aren't much higher than at stock. From what I've read that stock cooler will handle a pretty decent overclock. Just take it slow and keep an eye on the temps. As long as you don't up the voltage you should be able to get a 4-500mhz clock increase out of that.

OK cool, thought something was wrong. I took off the side panels of my case & the temp (at idle) of my video card dropped from 129 to 114, I really need a fan! So I cranked up the GPU from 620MHz to 720 without it getting too hot. I bumped up the memory a little too. I did not see and difference with temp on my CPU.

Anyway, I will have two fans, one pulling one pushing like you said, in a few days.
musman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 12:33 PM   #27
grey_1

You'll notice a huge difference with those fans.

Beware though, it's about this point that the upgrade bug really bites - You have been warned.
Old 05-16-08, 02:07 PM   #28
musman
I Derail Threads

Quote:
You'll notice a huge difference with those fans.

Beware though, it's about this point that the upgrade bug really bites - You have been warned.

LOL! Yes I know, I can't help it . What I would like to do is sell this one to my buddy & use the money to build me a new one with a much better power supply and a motherbored with SLI & a cooler case. After talking to you I don't think I will be able to do much more with this machine.

I completely understand the bug, I caught the HI-FI bug when I was a kid & have now built a system I never could have never even dreamed about 6yrs ago.

For kicks here is a picture of my main stereo.

System information:

Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) Matrix 800

Pre-Amp: Conrad Johnson Premier Ten (electron tube)

Power Amp: Rotel RB-1092 (Solid State 500wpc)

Turntable: Linn LP12 (full upgrades)

CP Player: Classe CDP-102

Phono-Pre: Hagerman Cornet (Electron Tube, kit)

Cables & Interconnects: Audioquest (various)

AC Filters: AudioPower & Panamax

Extras: 20AMP dedicated AC line
Old 05-16-08, 02:14 PM   #29
grey_1

HOLY CRAP! That's awesome!

LOL, You'll have every audiophile on the forum filling your pm box!

Very, very sweet, I bet you never get tired of the sound.

Crap. I just glanced at my little logitech 5.1s after seeing that - another upgrade coming...

EDIT: You should post this in the open forum...you'll have em drooling.
Old 05-16-08, 02:35 PM   #30
musman
I Derail Threads

Quote:
HOLY CRAP! That's awesome!

LOL, You'll have every audiophile on the forum filling your pm box!

Very, very sweet, I bet you never get tired of the sound.

Crap. I just glanced at my little logitech 5.1s after seeing that - another upgrade coming...

THANKS! I never get tired of the sound but I do change some of the equipment often, just like some of the peeps on here with computer upgrades. I have several power amps that I swap out from time to time.

That system is one of three that I have setup right now. Along with this one I also have a system in the family room & one in my beadroom....Oh... and one by my drum set also.

The bedroom system is all tube with one of a kind high efficiency single driver speakers, way different sound than my main system, but still very good in it's own way.

Audio is very subjective and that can make it fun but also frustrating at times too. Better specifications (in audio) don't always mean better sound. Tube amps have horrible specifications in comparison to most solid state but with the right match between amp & speakers, tube amps have a more natural sound...in general...and in most of my experimenting and experiences. Tube amps have a different type of distortion than solid state & the human ear likes the distortion that tube amps put out.
Old 05-16-08, 02:55 PM   #31
grey_1

LoL, You have three such systems? let me guess, that's your 'small one'?
Old 05-16-08, 03:05 PM   #32
musman
I Derail Threads

Quote:
LoL, You have three such systems? let me guess, that's your 'small one'?

No that's the big one. I have another pair of speakers just as tall as them but they are very thin like 2in or so. The are a hybrid of planar magnetic & ribbon drivers, so they do not need a cabinet to produce bass....they have a much larger surface area to produce sound than a conventional speaker (electro magnetic) system like the one in the photo.

If you are looking for computer speakers Klipsch make some nice ones, but they did have some reliability issues awhile back, don't know if they fixed that.

Old 05-16-08, 03:22 PM   #33
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by musman
No that's the big one. I have another pair of speakers just as tall as them but they are very thin like 2in or so. The are a hybrid of planar magnetic & ribbon drivers, so they do not need a cabinet to produce bass....they have a much larger surface area to produce sound than a conventional speaker (electro magnetic) system like the one in the photo.

If you are looking for computer speakers Klipsch make some nice ones, but they did have some reliability issues awhile back, don't know if they fixed that.
See, that went around 25 feet over my head. WRT the computer speakers, yeah, these I have are a great deal at $70 USD and meet my needs, but with the refinement of sound in games lately + me getting back into my music, I need a good soundcard and a good, but not expensive set of speakers.

thing is, i have a bit of trouble with my ears, so finer nuances in sound that you would hear, and could be a deciding factor for you, would be lost on me. But I can still easily enjoy above average quality.

The Auzentech Prelude is the card I have in mind this summer, but speakers I haven't even shopped for yet.
Old 05-16-08, 05:19 PM   #34
musman
I Derail Threads

Quote:
See, that went around 25 feet over my head. WRT the computer speakers, yeah, these I have are a great deal at $70 USD and meet my needs, but with the refinement of sound in games lately + me getting back into my music, I need a good soundcard and a good, but not expensive set of speakers.

thing is, i have a bit of trouble with my ears, so finer nuances in sound that you would hear, and could be a deciding factor for you, would be lost on me. But I can still easily enjoy above average quality.

The Auzentech Prelude is the card I have in mind this summer, but speakers I haven't even shopped for yet.

Hooking it up to a Surround Receiver, like the way the show it in this photo will open up a whole new world of speaker choices for you. See, computer speakers are powered speakers (they have a power amp for every speaker) and it limits you to mostly very small speaker with cheap amps and so so speakers.

If you get a AV/Surround Sound Receiver you can now chose some very nice home audio speakers. Like these http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=2356
Old 05-16-08, 05:35 PM   #35
musman
I Derail Threads

This is one of the best speakers system you can find for the $$$$ http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/...-2-4.paradigm#

I'm not sure how much it is exactly but it's called the Atom Monitor System, it's made by a Canadian speaker manufactured called Paradigm. I'm guessing it's around $1200 or so.

It will kick the crap out of any Bose system, even the most expensive one. Bose are actually the most overpriced under performing speakers money can buy. One HUGE red flag is they DO NOT post ANY specifications on their speakers at all. That tells you something there, they are trying to hide something. I have many links to websites explaining how Bose is the worst performing speakers out there, if you want to ever read any of them.