Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-14-08, 08:49 PM   #1
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/ar..._it_ships.html

The Guardian has done some number crunching that places Sony as losing $260 on every PS3 sold. It is almost as though they are paying 1/4th to 1/3rd the price to get you to buy in.

No, I still don't own or want a PS3, but that is a completely different matter.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:07 PM   #2
MowTin
 
MowTin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,205
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

I've been saying the same thing for a while now. It's the best buy in consumer electronics that I can remember.
__________________
i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz | 480 GTX | 3x2GB OCZ Gold | x58 3SLI | X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Samsung 226BW | Samsung 4665F LCD HDTV | Kenwood 500W receiver

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:09 PM   #3
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang
 
Zapablast05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Carson, CA
Posts: 3,133
Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

I want one solely because of MGS4 and it's the cheapest Blu-Ray player that does more than just play BR movies.
__________________

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:26 PM   #4
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

Um isn't it old news by now that Sony is losing alot per system? It was far higher when it launched but smaller die size on CELL and RSX with the removal of BC helped lower it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:27 PM   #5
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/ar..._it_ships.html

The Guardian has done some number crunching that places Sony as losing $260 on every PS3 sold. It is almost as though they are paying 1/4th to 1/3rd the price to get you to buy in.

No, I still don't own or want a PS3, but that is a completely different matter.
I could take $780 worth of diamonds and smelt it within a $20 ball of cast iron. That dosen't mean the result is wroth $800 or even $500.

I basically have the same opinion of the PS3. I don't care if it costs 10k to make each one. It's worth about $100 to me (PS2 compatibility and blu-ray being the main reasons). Anything above that is a clear ripoff.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:28 PM   #6
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
I could take $780 worth of diamonds and smelt it within a $20 ball of cast iron. That dosen't mean the result is wroth $800 or even $500.

I basically have the same opinion of the PS3. I don't care if it costs 10k to make each one. It's worth about $100 to me (PS2 compatibility and blu-ray being the main reasons). Anything above that is a clear ripoff.
This from the guy who thought the Gamecube was a great console...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:29 PM   #7
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
This from the guy who thought the Gamecube was a great console...
look who's leading sales in the current gen?

You lose.

Come back and try again next gen.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:38 PM   #8
nrdstrm
 
nrdstrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 1,677
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
look who's leading sales in the current gen?

You lose.

Come back and try again next gen.
He doesn't loose...Neither do you...It's all just opinion. I have both, and PERSONALLY, my PS3 is worth more to me : SOME good games, Blu-Ray, Streaming Media, Plays almost all video formats, etc. It's more of an all purpose device for me, thus it is worth more to me...
__________________


On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-08, 09:40 PM   #9
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
look who's leading sales in the current gen?

You lose.

Come back and try again next gen.
So there are more Wii's on the market that aren't being used when compared to the amount of PS3's that are... whats your point? Because the hardware is selling better doesn't mean its automatically a better console. I go by the software... and the PS3 is clearly winning on that front when compared to the Wii.

Oh and go ask EA what system is making them the most money... They would answer PS2 and the PS3.

BTW This article calculates the loss of the units by Sony's total loss which isn't right considering that Sony puts alot of R&D into many aspects of their game divison, not just manufacturing the PS3.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 10:10 PM   #10
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
This from the guy who thought the Gamecube was a great console...
What was wrong with gamecube? It had its moments.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 10:18 PM   #11
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime
What was wrong with gamecube? It had its moments.
It had its titles but in no way was it a great console in my opinion... A great console is something that has many great titles.

Theres a reason the SNES is considered a great console, not because a single title but because there is a nice long list of great titles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 10:21 PM   #12
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
So there are more Wii's on the market that aren't being used when compared to the amount of PS3's that are... whats your point? Because the hardware is selling better doesn't mean its automatically a better console. I go by the software... and the PS3 is clearly winning on that front when compared to the Wii.

Oh and go ask EA what system is making them the most money... They would answer PS2 and the PS3.

BTW This article calculates the loss of the units by Sony's total loss which isn't right considering that Sony puts alot of R&D into many aspects of their game divison, not just manufacturing the PS3.
rofl PS3 isn't making anyone money.

Right now is a fluke month since GTA IV has been released (and surprise surprise the 360 version is outselling the PS3 version by a large amount). Even still Wii is dominating:

http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php

121 million total software sales for the Wii
50 million total software sales for the PS3.

That's like a 2.5:1 margin.

And in America Mario Kart Wii is outselling the PS3 version of GTA IV.

And in Japan, where GTA hasn't been released, the PS3 barely cracks the top 10. It's number 1 title in Japan is getting outsold by friggen Link's crossbow training rofl.

So in your dreams magus.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I play PS3 on my Sony Vaio while using HDMI cable? AbbieJohnson Archived News Items 0 06-18-12 06:04 AM
Iran-targeting Flame malware used huge network to steal blueprints News Archived News Items 0 06-04-12 05:20 PM
Rumor: Sony Cloud Deal Will Make PS3 Backwards Compatible, Stream PS2/PS1 games News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 01:10 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.