Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-14-08, 08:49 PM   #1
Lyme

Default The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/ar..._it_ships.html

The Guardian has done some number crunching that places Sony as losing $260 on every PS3 sold. It is almost as though they are paying 1/4th to 1/3rd the price to get you to buy in.

No, I still don't own or want a PS3, but that is a completely different matter.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:07 PM   #2
MowTin

Default Re: The PS3 is a steal of a bargin.

I've been saying the same thing for a while now. It's the best buy in consumer electronics that I can remember.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:09 PM   #3
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05

I want one solely because of MGS4 and it's the cheapest Blu-Ray player that does more than just play BR movies.

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:26 PM   #4
|MaguS|

Um isn't it old news by now that Sony is losing alot per system? It was far higher when it launched but smaller die size on CELL and RSX with the removal of BC helped lower it.
Old 05-14-08, 09:27 PM   #5
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/ar..._it_ships.html

The Guardian has done some number crunching that places Sony as losing $260 on every PS3 sold. It is almost as though they are paying 1/4th to 1/3rd the price to get you to buy in.

No, I still don't own or want a PS3, but that is a completely different matter.
I could take $780 worth of diamonds and smelt it within a $20 ball of cast iron. That dosen't mean the result is wroth $800 or even $500.

I basically have the same opinion of the PS3. I don't care if it costs 10k to make each one. It's worth about $100 to me (PS2 compatibility and blu-ray being the main reasons). Anything above that is a clear ripoff.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 09:28 PM   #6
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
I could take $780 worth of diamonds and smelt it within a $20 ball of cast iron. That dosen't mean the result is wroth $800 or even $500.

I basically have the same opinion of the PS3. I don't care if it costs 10k to make each one. It's worth about $100 to me (PS2 compatibility and blu-ray being the main reasons). Anything above that is a clear ripoff.
This from the guy who thought the Gamecube was a great console...
Old 05-14-08, 09:29 PM   #7
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
look who's leading sales in the current gen?

You lose.

Come back and try again next gen.
Old 05-14-08, 09:38 PM   #8
nrdstrm

Quote:

You lose.

He doesn't loose...Neither do you...It's all just opinion. I have both, and PERSONALLY, my PS3 is worth more to me : SOME good games, Blu-Ray, Streaming Media, Plays almost all video formats, etc. It's more of an all purpose device for me, thus it is worth more to me...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-08, 09:40 PM   #9
|MaguS|

Quote:

You lose.

So there are more Wii's on the market that aren't being used when compared to the amount of PS3's that are... whats your point? Because the hardware is selling better doesn't mean its automatically a better console. I go by the software... and the PS3 is clearly winning on that front when compared to the Wii.

Oh and go ask EA what system is making them the most money... They would answer PS2 and the PS3.

BTW This article calculates the loss of the units by Sony's total loss which isn't right considering that Sony puts alot of R&D into many aspects of their game divison, not just manufacturing the PS3.
Old 05-14-08, 10:10 PM   #10
Ninja Prime

Quote:
What was wrong with gamecube? It had its moments.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 10:18 PM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime
What was wrong with gamecube? It had its moments.
It had its titles but in no way was it a great console in my opinion... A great console is something that has many great titles.

Theres a reason the SNES is considered a great console, not because a single title but because there is a nice long list of great titles.
Old 05-14-08, 10:21 PM   #12
Zelda_fan

Quote:
So there are more Wii's on the market that aren't being used when compared to the amount of PS3's that are... whats your point? Because the hardware is selling better doesn't mean its automatically a better console. I go by the software... and the PS3 is clearly winning on that front when compared to the Wii.

Oh and go ask EA what system is making them the most money... They would answer PS2 and the PS3.

BTW This article calculates the loss of the units by Sony's total loss which isn't right considering that Sony puts alot of R&D into many aspects of their game divison, not just manufacturing the PS3.
rofl PS3 isn't making anyone money.

Right now is a fluke month since GTA IV has been released (and surprise surprise the 360 version is outselling the PS3 version by a large amount). Even still Wii is dominating:

http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php

121 million total software sales for the Wii
50 million total software sales for the PS3.

That's like a 2.5:1 margin.

And in America Mario Kart Wii is outselling the PS3 version of GTA IV.

And in Japan, where GTA hasn't been released, the PS3 barely cracks the top 10. It's number 1 title in Japan is getting outsold by friggen Link's crossbow training rofl.

So in your dreams magus.