Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-19-08, 10:53 PM   #1
blindkiller85

Default Problem

Okay, First off this is my first post so please let it tell that im a virgin here and pretty much a virgin when it comes to bios configuration but im not new to computers. I'm pretty sure that I'm asking a redundant question thats probably been asked before but I'm sick of dealing with this thing and trying to avoid sending it back to the builder. I.E. trying to save myself some time to see if I can avoid this rather than sending it back.

System Specs:
evga 780i main board
qx9650 quad core 3.0 ghz
evga 9800gx2
4.0 gb pc2-8500 ram ( corsair dominator )
(3) WD Raptors on a raid 5
SATA dvd-lite on drive

Now I know that I have a custom pc thats decent, to say the least, but i bought it from a chain of pc stores in the mid-west. Been saving since my last build in 2004 so believe me I'm not some rich 12 year old with daddy's credit card. When it arrived I have no clue why but the dvi cable wouldn't work with my acer 22" lcd monitor. Are there any problems with the video card and this monitor or is it more than likely just a bad cord? Fixed that by using dvi adapter and using avg cable, big deal seeing stuff on the screen is what matters. Next problem that I identified was the ram was failing and would not pass the memory test upon posting on startup, it would just freeze and give you that blank stare of what the hell do you want me to do now? Got new corsair dominator ram and worked fine.

Onto the problem I cannot seem to get past. After reading alot I now know that the 780i main board has problems with the SATA dvd drives. The problem comes up to when it boots and says " verifying DMI pool data " and it fails saying disc read error. Is this my hard drives failing to boot; is this my SATA dvd drive failing to boot? Also after loading and doing memory testing it gives me a failed Floppy drive and to continue press F1 or to enter setup press delete.

So, what the hell can I do except send it back to the pc store that I bought it from?
blindkiller85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 12:12 AM   #2
bacon12

Default Re: Problem

Dunno, but I won't be buying another nvidia board for my gaming rig. I would send it back and next time get an intel board instead. X38/X48 with that processor would be very nice.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 12:26 AM   #3
blindkiller85

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12
Dunno, but I won't be buying another nvidia board for my gaming rig. I would send it back and next time get an intel board instead. X38/X48 with that processor would be very nice.
Well thanks for the future advice, i appreciate it, but that doesn't help my current issue.
Old 05-20-08, 02:22 AM   #4
mcolbourn
Time waits for no man!

IMO blindkiller85 as the system did not work from the getgo it is not fit for the purpose it was sold for so I would send it back. Explain to them the faults and that they should replace it with a similar product but with compatible parts.
Old 05-20-08, 11:32 AM   #5
blindkiller85

Thats what I plan on doing if i can't get it to work myself. But considering the price tag that comes with those parts and them assembling the PC the last thing I really want to do is send it from FL back to the mid-west. To be more specific, Milwaukee, and be out of a pc again for a few weeks. All in all though I guess it would be better at this point to just go fourth with it considering my problems.
Old 05-20-08, 04:18 PM   #6
blindkiller85

Everything being shipped back im being upgraded to a 790i and 4mb ddr3 ram.

Thanks for the input that i got.