Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-04-03, 11:00 PM   #1
Fooberman

Send a message via AIM to Fooberman
Default cannot configure nvnet device

I'm having trouble getting my Asus N7N8X nforce2 ethernet working. here is my setup:

Asus A7N8X
Athlon 2100+
Red Hat 9.0 kernel 2.4.20-8
GeForce4 MX 440SE

Trying to compile the modules doesnt' seem to work properly, here's what i get when i do a " make && make install":

nvcrush.c: In function `Nvaudio_mmapwrite':
nvcrush.c:426: warning: passing arg 1 of `remap_page_range_R2baf18f2' makes pointer from integer without a cast
nvcrush.c:426: incompatible type for argument 4 of `remap_page_range_R2baf18f2'
nvcrush.c:426: too few arguments to function `remap_page_range_R2baf18f2'
nvcrush.c: In function `Nvaudio_mmap':
nvcrush.c:465: warning: passing arg 1 of `remap_page_range_R2baf18f2' makes pointer from integer without a cast
nvcrush.c:465: incompatible type for argument 4 of `remap_page_range_R2baf18f2'
nvcrush.c:465: too few arguments to function `remap_page_range_R2baf18f2'
make[2]: *** [nvcrush.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/nforce/nvaudio'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/nforce/nvaudio'
make: *** [nvaudio_make] Error 2

the nvnet.o file does seem to get built anyways, so i decided to try to just put that where it belongs. the module loads fine but lsmod tells me that it is "unused" and I get teh following error when i try to get it running with redhat-config-network:

redhat-config-network:
Cannot activate network device eth1!
nvnet device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

I noticed this same error (nvnet device... not present...) in the bootup process. Anyone know how to fix this?

Chris~
Fooberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 04:25 AM   #2
pixelxeno

You're right: the nvaudio part has nothing to do with the nvnet, and is not at all a good driver. It's in fact a kind of on the fly modification of your kernel driver, which is only valid for 2.4.18 kernels.

For the nvnet part, you did good by installing yourself the driver. And it seems afterward you ran into the same problems as me. But you should try eventually to compile yourself a kernel, like one of the pre-2.4.21 since I got the nvnet part of the nforce driver working with a 2.4.21-pre7 kernel (and not with any other one, like the 2.4.18 or 2.4.20)
pixelxeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 12:29 PM   #3
Fooberman

Send a message via AIM to Fooberman
Default compile kernel?

I'm kind of a newbie, never compiled a kernel before, I dotn 'want to break my system. Can you give me an overview how to do it? I think i can figure out how to get the source code, and then maybe compile it, but how to install it correctly and not break my system is what i worry about. are the 2.4.21 series kernels stable? is it going to break anything else?

Chris~
Fooberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 03:14 PM   #4
pixelxeno

Well, in all cases, you should at least try to compile one kernel once in your life if you seriousely want to stay on linux ;-)

So, do not fear too much of breaking your system. Everybody has once break his system ;-)

But, well, I do NOT recommand compiling a kernel under a redhat linux with the gcc-2.96, because THAT could really break down your system. I remember spending hours fighting with a kernel on a redhat with that dummy compiler.

So, first, check your compiler is either the 2.95.3 either the 3.X with gcc --version

Next, download the tarball of the kernel you want to compile from ftp.XX.kernel.org, with XX is your country code, or ftp.kernel.org if you live in the USA.

If you want to compile a 2.4.21-preX, you have to first download the source for the 2.4.20 then the patch for the 2.4.21-preX you want. The patch is always in the subdirectory "testing" of the "v2.4" directory.

Go to /usr/src and uncrunch your kernel tarball there. If you downloaded the 2.4.20, it should create the directory linux-2.4.20. If you want to apply the patch, say, patch-2.4.21-pre7.bz2 (I suppose this file is located into your home), then go into the linux-2.4.20 and patch the kernel with the following command:

bunzip2 -c ~/patch-2.4.21-pre7.ba2 | patch -p 1

Then, you have to configure your kernel. Do the following command:

make menuconfig

or, if you prefer a clicy interface,

make xconfig

This should take you some time if this is the first time you compile a kernel. Maybe you should read very carefully every option help and so. Do not hesitate to read and ask about options you do not quite understand but have the feeling you should need it.

When you're done, compile your kernel with the following command:

make dep clean bzImage modules

Depending on your CPU, it should take around 15 minutes.

When you're ready to install your kernel, first do

make modules_install

to copy all the modules you selected into your system. Then I recommand you to backup your old kernel. This is usually a file pointed by a symbolinc link called /vmlinuz and is usually located into the /boot directory. Eventually, edit your /etc/lilo.conf in order to add a new entry pointing on your old kernel you just backuped. Finally, do

make bzlilo

to install the kernel as the file /vmlinuz. If this file is still a symbolic link, it will erase the corresponding file, so, take care. Maybe you should first erase the old symbolic link so you'll have a plain /vmlinuz file. In all cases, the make bzlilo will create a backup of your kernel called /vmlinuz.old

Now, some hints about configuring your kernel:

-) If you put "modules", it will mean that you'll have to "load" them, so take care. For example, if your harddrive is SCSI, do NOT put your SCSI card into a module, otherwise there will be a chicken-and-egg problem: the kernel won't be able to read the disk to load the module. In all cases, about the modules, depending on your distribution (I do not quite know redhat...) then you'll have to change some configuration file in order to load your new modules at boot time.

-) check the "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers", it will give you more options, marked usually as "experimental", but often useful.

-) do not touch the networking options. All the TCP stack is good enough by default.

-) Since you have a nforce chipset, be sure to check the IDE chipset called "AMD Viper" otherwise your harddrive will be slooooow, and for the sound part, check the "Intel ICH (i8xx), SiS 7012, NVidia nForce Audio or AMD 768/811x" driver.

Okay, not it's time for me to say "good luck" ;-)

And I repeat: do not hesitate to ask questions about options in your kernel.
pixelxeno is offline   Reply With Quote