Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-08, 12:54 PM   #1
Kain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,264
Default Wireless router recommendations

Can anyone recommend me some wireless routers? I read around a bit and asked this question on another forum and most people told me to get the Linksys WRT54G. Is it a good model?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 12:58 PM   #2
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

I've got one. It's as crap as every other one i've had. Why can't anyone make a wireless router that just works as it should

I'm gonna go N+ on my next one to see if they're any better, but they're just too expensive ATM.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 01:00 PM   #3
Bman212121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,726
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain
Can anyone recommend me some wireless routers? I read around a bit and asked this question on another forum and most people told me to get the Linksys WRT54G. Is it a good model?
It is basically the standard model when it comes to wireless routers. I've set up a couple of these for people in the past few months. It is easy to set up and they seem to work good. I would recommend it as well.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 01:09 PM   #4
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,334
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

that router is decent but i prefer the Linksys WRT54GX2
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 01:10 PM   #5
Kain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,264
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
that router is decent but i prefer the Linksys WRT54GX2
What's the difference between the two?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 01:19 PM   #6
Bman212121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,726
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

It looks like it has better antennas on it.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=0458039789B09

It also has MIMO technology, but you probably have to have a special Linksys card to take advantage of it because MIMO isn't part of the 802.11g spec.

I'm going to disagree with Zoomy because it's hard to find and costs twice as much as a regular WRT54G. At $80+ you'd be better off getting a 802.11N router which every device that is N compatible can use MIMO.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 01:39 PM   #7
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,334
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

there ya go! the one you listed doesnt have srx200.....

http://www.wifi-forum.com/wf/showthread.php?t=64069
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 01:41 PM   #8
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,334
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
It looks like it has better antennas on it.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=0458039789B09

It also has MIMO technology, but you probably have to have a special Linksys card to take advantage of it because MIMO isn't part of the 802.11g spec.

I'm going to disagree with Zoomy because it's hard to find and costs twice as much as a regular WRT54G. At $80+ you'd be better off getting a 802.11N router which every device that is N compatible can use MIMO.

fair enough. for me, i have this one, three of them actually, deployed across 2 buildings at work so i didnt feel comfortable getting a consumer grade device. that being said, I'm sure the one you listed and the one i listed are probably made in the same factory, by the same guy in Taiwan, so they are probably bascailly the same.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-08, 02:38 PM   #9
einstein_314
w00t!!
 
einstein_314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,905
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

I recently picked up a Dlink DIR-655. So far so good. It replaced my Dlink DGL-4300 ("gaming" router) which served me well, but in the end started dying just like every other router I've ever owned.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz (9 x 355) w/ Swiftec APOGEE GTX Waterblock|| Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi Edition
eVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked Edition @ 675/1150 w/ DangerDen 8800GTX Waterblock|| 4x1GB Mushkin XP2 PC2-8500
X-Fi Fatal1ty 64MB || PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W || Seagate 7200.10 320 GB || Dell 2407WFP
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 02:41 PM   #10
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314
I recently picked up a Dlink DIR-655. So far so good. It replaced my Dlink DGL-4300 ("gaming" router) which served me well, but in the end started dying just like every other router I've ever owned.
After how long, bud? If I could get one that did a couple of years i'd be happy. Most last 12-18 months for me. This Lynksis is about 12 months old and it's starting to cut off randomly for no reason

I've tried Lynksis(x2), Belkin and D-Link(x3) (by far the worst). I was thinking about Netgear but i've heard the D-Link gaming ones are good.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 12:56 PM   #11
Bman212121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,726
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs
After how long, bud? If I could get one that did a couple of years i'd be happy. Most last 12-18 months for me. This Lynksis is about 12 months old and it's starting to cut off randomly for no reason

I've tried Lynksis(x2), Belkin and D-Link(x3) (by far the worst). I was thinking about Netgear but i've heard the D-Link gaming ones are good.
My DGL-4300 has been going for about 2 years now. I had almost a full year of uptime before I rebooted it for a firmware update. I think it is nearing 300 days uptime right now since the reboot.

I'm just guessing you probably move a ton of data through it causing them to overheat. You'd be better off with a business model if you move a lot of data or a have a lot of simultaneous connections. One router I've been happy with is the Linksys RV042. We use one of these at work and it gets hammered with connections at certain times of the day. No issues with it so far and we've had it for at least a year if not more.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=7161845678B04
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 02:29 PM   #12
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: Wireless router recommendations

Cheers Bman. Yes, there are three PC's linked up at all times, two wireless and one wired. They get a fair bit of heavy use on an evening, downloading and sharing media. Wireless is a must though.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$29.99 - Linksys WRT120N 802.11b/g/n Wireless Home Router up to 150Mbps/ 10/100 Mbps News Latest Tech And Game Headlines 0 06-20-12 09:00 PM
7Gbps wireless transfers and streaming, no router required News Latest Tech And Game Headlines 0 06-08-12 09:20 PM
Desktop wireless problems? Vanzagar General Hardware 14 06-06-12 06:06 AM
Dawn of a new wireless: first 802.11ac router available today News Latest Tech And Game Headlines 0 05-14-12 08:00 AM
Winxp Router Config Help.! styles-T Microsoft Windows XP And Vista 15 08-02-02 11:13 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.