Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-31-08, 09:00 AM   #205
Destroy

Default Re: Mass Effect (PC) Feedback Thread

I'm finding I don't really care for the 'hold spacebar' pop up HUD crap setup. They could of made the PC game action flow and play MUCH better with a control system like GRAW used.

Move or delete these movies to skip the intro splashes.
Located in:

C:\Program Files\Mass Effect\BioGame\CookedPC\Movies

Mass_Effect_Logo_Movie.bik
ME_EAsig_720p_v2_raw.bik
BWLogo.bik
db_standard.bik

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 10:00 AM   #206
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
higher resolution textures in some places
Really?
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 10:04 AM   #207
simmonmsi
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero
In what way?

Are you serious? Well lets see......higher resolution, AA and AF....better frame rates. It looks good on the 360 for sure but it also looks that much better on the PC.
simmonmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 10:06 AM   #208
simmonmsi
*BANNED*

Quote:
I ask because, as I said, the screens posted here do not look any better. If there is more than just higher resolution options it might speed up my desire to rebuy the game, but right now I don't see it.

Well I think you just cleared it up for everyone. Your judging the comparison by these screen shots instead of playing the game for yourself.

I have Mass Effect on both the 360 and my PC and its noticeably better on the PC. You cant go on screen shots alone with this one as it needs to be played in order to appreciate the difference.
Old 05-31-08, 10:14 AM   #209
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Really?
Yeah. Some of the NPCs have higher resolution textures. Some of them don't. It's a little bit strange. The doctor, for example, seems to have the same lower resolution 360 textures for her suit while other characters get a bit of an upgrade. It's definately not a consistent upgrade. Still leaving textures aside, you have AA, AF, vysync, higher resolution, and better UI.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 10:20 AM   #210
simmonmsi
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
Yeah. Some of the NPCs have higher resolution textures. Some of them don't. It's a little bit strange. The doctor, for example, seems to have the same lower resolution 360 textures for her suit while other characters get a bit of an upgrade. It's definately not a consistent upgrade. Still leaving textures aside, you have AA, AF, vysync, higher resolution, and better UI.

Yeah I noticed these things too but as I said before you really must play it to appreciate the improvements. If anything the improved frame rate and no more stuttering makes it a much more enjoyable experience.
Old 05-31-08, 12:51 PM   #211
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
In what way?
Super sharp, extremely good performance, cooler effects, etc.

Yeah, this is a superior title by a tremendous margin due to the performance and the lack of texture pop in alone. Not to mention the redesigned interface, which removes any consolitis it may have otherwise had.

Beautiful work.

As said before, you need to play it to really know. Any gamer by now should know that screen shots and movies are pretty much worthless.
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 01:15 PM   #212
JigenD

Anyone know how this would perform on a less-than-cutting edge PC? Some reviews said you needed fairly decent hardware to run it well.

Also, I forget the name of the race, but the 'space jews' if you know what I mean, are the textures improved on them? The early 360 bullshots showed them with much sharper textures, and with the way the textures stream, I'm surprised the 360 version lacked those textures.

Anyone got any screenshots of any of the improved NPCs? I'm just curious to see them.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-08, 01:16 PM   #213
simmonmsi
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigenD
Anyone know how this would perform on a less-than-cutting edge PC?

Can you give some specs? cpu, gpu mem?
Old 05-31-08, 01:30 PM   #214
JigenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonmsi
Can you give some specs? cpu, gpu mem?
Well I was thinking of a few different things. But one I'm interested in is my friend's PC, he's already ordered the game but hasn't gotten it yet. He has a fine GPU (8800GT), but his CPU is old (single core AMD 2.8GHz, I'd have to check again which model), 2GB of RAM, nothing else worth bringing up.

I guess I wonder if the game is very CPU dependent, but I also wonder if a 7800GT would run the game fine at max details at 720p, with minimal AA and AF too.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 01:38 PM   #215
simmonmsi
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigenD
Well I was thinking of a few different things. But one I'm interested in is my friend's PC, he's already ordered the game but hasn't gotten it yet. He has a fine GPU (8800GT), but his CPU is old (single core AMD 2.8GHz, I'd have to check again which model), 2GB of RAM, nothing else worth bringing up.

I guess I wonder if the game is very CPU dependent, but I also wonder if a 7800GT would run the game fine at max details at 720p, with minimal AA and AF too.

The CPU will probably hurt him a lot. I remember reading a review where a Core 2 duo at 3.4ghz was maxed out with both cores at 100% the majority of the time, especially around a lot of characters and AI. If he would upgrade to a dual core he would be fine even if he just stuck with AMD.

A 7800GT would probably do ok at 720p with no AA and min AF.
Old 05-31-08, 03:07 PM   #216
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

little interesting piece of trivia, Bioware didn't actually ported it to PC, Demiurge Studios did.

what is more interesting that we were lied to from the start, PC version was in development before Console version was released, it was kept quite to sell more consoles.

http://www.demiurgestudios.com/?games/masseffect

Quote:
Demiurge and BioWare have teamed up to bring the award-winning title Mass Effect to the PC, customizing the experience to take full advantage of its newest home on the desktop.

Demiurge began working with BioWare during the final stretch of development for the Xbox 360 version, allowing the studios to collaborate closely throughout the co-development process. Mass Effect has been tailored to feel natural to the PC user while staying true to the original game experience. Mass Effect for the PC features a third command wheel so players can access squad members separately, a new inventory system, customized key mapping and a brand new minigame. Extra attention was focused on visuals, offering higher resolution graphics for an enhanced gaming experience for the PC.