Default Re: Mass Effect (PC) Feedback Thread

edit: nvm
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 12:19 PM   #326
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
Have you messed with the squad AI options much? I haven't really so I wouldn't know, but I seem to remember on the Xbox version that they would actively seek cover and use their abilities intelligently...I've set them on manual so far.
No, I haven't played with the squad AI options. I've been spoiled by NWN2:MoTB, were your party tends to act intelligently with the default settings.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 12:32 PM   #327
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

in Mass Effect team often gets stuck behind stuff. Once i was running got into gun fight and realized my team is missing.

Went back and both idiots where stuck behind a rock.
Old 06-04-08, 12:40 PM   #328
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
in Mass Effect team often gets stuck behind stuff. Once i was running got into gun fight and realized my team is missing.

Went back and both idiots where stuck behind a rock.
Yeah this happens on occasion. Definitely frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowmk84
I've been spoiled by NWN2:MoTB, were your party tends to act intelligently with the default settings.
I know I'm verging on fanboyism here the way I defend this game, but honestly comparing the two is kind of unfair - the demands of a squad-based action shooter with RPG elements and a straight up D&D game using turn-based rules in realtime are a bit different, or so I would imagine. And most of the time the AI does a good job on default settings. It's mostly in cramped spaces that it has problems.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 01:30 PM   #329
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
I know I'm verging on fanboyism here the way I defend this game, but honestly comparing the two is kind of unfair - the demands of a squad-based action shooter with RPG elements and a straight up D&D game using turn-based rules in realtime are a bit different, or so I would imagine. And most of the time the AI does a good job on default settings. It's mostly in cramped spaces that it has problems.
The game is based on UE3. You'd think Bioware would be able to take a look at UT3's bot code. The requirements for UT3 bots and Bioware NPCs shouldn't be all that different. They have to navigate around the environment, prioritize targets and shoot them, accounting for weapon (and biotic power) selection and skill level (and yes, I'm aware that actual atomized requirements and implementation are far more complex than that, but both games have NPCs trying to accomplish similar goals).

Now, granted, the environments in UT3 are no where near as cramped and cluttered as some of the levels in Mass Effect, but the point is still valid.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 02:19 PM   #330
LycosV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84 View Post
The game is based on UE3. You'd think Bioware would be able to take a look at UT3's bot code. The requirements for UT3 bots and Bioware NPCs shouldn't be all that different. They have to navigate around the environment, prioritize targets and shoot them, accounting for weapon (and biotic power) selection and skill level (and yes, I'm aware that actual atomized requirements and implementation are far more complex than that, but both games have NPCs trying to accomplish similar goals).

Now, granted, the environments in UT3 are no where near as cramped and cluttered as some of the levels in Mass Effect, but the point is still valid.
I would assume that Epic doesn't give out the bot code with the engine.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 04:13 PM   #331
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

So far im pretty impressed with this game. Its fun, and im only 3 hours into it
Old 06-04-08, 04:45 PM   #332
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84 View Post

Yeah that's true. I guess I don't really know, maybe it's that way by design? I'm gonna try out some different squad AI options and see how it goes.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-08, 06:18 PM   #333
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
anyone else think that this might be one of the weakest bioware games?

compared to NWN, BG, Kotor, this could have been better
I agree completely, still with how good those games are, being the weakest still puts Mass Erect over most other games.

The random planet exploring was what let them down the most. It's easy to see they just added it to flesh out the game and doesn't fit in. 'You are a special agent sent to take out one man, you don't have a lot of time, the fate of the galaxy is in your hands. Oh and we need you to explorer the galaxy, we just never had the time to do it ourselves with our own huge fleets'.

They would have been better to delay the game, and add more linear dialogue based areas to take advantage of the awesome good/evil conversation mechanic.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 06:19 PM   #334
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

Okay ran into my first issue. I go to open up the Galaxy Map on the Normady and it doesnt work. Its just black screens with music playing.
Old 06-04-08, 06:25 PM   #335
JigenD

The game had a TON of problems IMO :

1. Economy system really weak, I love games that FORCE you to manage that stuff efficiently.
2. The conversations are WAY too easy. There's only 1 or 2 dialogs in the whole game where you have to be really picky about what you say.
3. Inventory system was gutter crap (on the 360 version).
4. Dumb AI (but that's typical for Bioware games).
5. Barren planets (even if they had added foliage and more structures it would have been way better)
6. Health system (just felt really weak, you always have way more medigels than you can use)
7. Hacking system (I hear they improved it in the PC version, but it should have been way more)
8. Omnigel system (get out of jail free)

That's all I can think of for now.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 06:28 PM   #336
malachi1313

Finished the game as a sentinel the first time and am now playing it thru again as a soldier. Better weapons trained and armor upgrades. Awesome game IMHO..
malachi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote