Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-12-08, 08:05 AM   #493
sammy sung

Default Re: Mass Effect (PC) Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
rpg stands 4 role playin game any game ware u play a role is a role playin game. d00m is a roll playin game is you play da roll of the universal space marine, prey is a rpg as you play tommy the indianan. nwn2 is not a rpg, u dun play a role, u make ur own character and play urself. so it no roll playing game. Crysis is a rollplayning game is you ply nomda who has to kill all the trigens on the aircraft carrier and boink that reporter cia chick ****ing game wont run proply on vista i hate it.
:
Old 06-12-08, 12:32 PM   #494
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I think most people who are disliking this game are too stupid to realize that this is not an FPS or even an action game. Are people that retarded that they expected the game to play like Quake or any other quick to shoot anything you see action game? ITS AN RPG..
Yup it's an RPG, but it's incredibly easy. I didn't die ONCE during the entire main story/side quests. The game was also short and very repetitive. Weren't it for the wonderful story, I don't think I could have managed to get through it. I really hope they make the battles more interesting, and the game a lot harder with some variety in gameplay for Mass Effect 2, and of course fix the freaking rover!
Old 06-12-08, 01:27 PM   #495
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Yup it's an RPG, but it's incredibly easy. I didn't die ONCE during the entire main story/side quests. The game was also short and very repetitive. Weren't it for the wonderful story, I don't think I could have managed to get through it. I really hope they make the battles more interesting, and the game a lot harder with some variety in gameplay for Mass Effect 2, and of course fix the freaking rover!

You never died at all? I played as a Vanguard on Normal and died a good several dozen times. Did you play as a soldier by chance? That class is suppose to be super easy.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 01:44 PM   #496
shilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0
is it better than knights of the old republic?
Same developer, so it still has it's roots that are similar. Take out the Stars Wars references, and you pretty much have Mass Effect.

If you liked KOTOR, then this game should definately be on your "to play" list. I think KOTOR was awesome, so I felt right at home when I played ME. The Paragon/Renegeade alignment system is pretty much a play off of the Light Side/Dark Side choices from KOTOR, so it's definately something we're all familiar with from Bioware games.

Instead of Force Powers, we get Biotics. We still get the two party members in the group and love interest storylines. The only thing that's not the same is the ending. In KOTOR the ending was drastically different depending on your choice of alignment. spoiler highlight - In Mass Effect, the ending is still pretty much the same aside from a few differences on your choice prior to the last scene. - end spoiler

If anything, hit up YouTube or something and check out some videos. Then you can get a better idea on what the game is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
RE4 is sort of a FPS, but its hack and slash elements + platforming make it pretty much an action platformer. Guns play a very small role.
You seriously have never played it, have you?
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 04:45 PM   #497
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
You never died at all? I played as a Vanguard on Normal and died a good several dozen times. Did you play as a soldier by chance? That class is suppose to be super easy.
Yup. Soldier plus extra lift ability makes the game crazy easy. You can even take down a Thesher Maw on foot and abuse the XP system as you always get more XP on foot then in the Mako. So all I did was hop out and kill all the enemies for massive XP. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 08:22 PM   #498
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

I think a survivor mode would be pretty neat. Wave after wave of bad guys. The combat is pretty entertaining, with Biotics at least.
Old 06-13-08, 01:27 AM   #499
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I wish it were more talking and combat. **** the exploring and Mako **** right off!
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-08, 04:24 AM   #500
Jackrabbit710
The NVNEWS thread killer

just starting it now, loving the vangelis style intro music!
Asus P5W Deluxe
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Jackrabbit710 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-08, 05:17 AM   #501
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Well after having it for two weeks I finally sat down and put some time into this game.

So far I love it.

The characters, the story and the dialog are great. I'm only on Citadel right now though. I've spent half the time talking to people and getting new information and reading the Codex stuff. I love how they really fleshed out the world and connected all the dots. So far the only thing I can't explain is how everyone speaks English. I don't know if they are going to cover that or not.

With the world they've created, I'd be surprised if we didn't see any books or movies come from this. This is as good as any Sci-Fi universe out there IMO... especially because it connects it all to the real world.

I haven't done too much combat yet, but what I've seen so far is decent. Nothing real involved and definitely not strategic like KOTOR, but it's not bad at all.

I played for hours today though. I can't wait to get back into it after I get some sleep.

BTW, is there any way to fix the glitchy shadows on people's faces? It looks great in some scenes but terrible in others.

Also, the game runs great at 1600x1200 with 16xAF and no AA, with all details maxed (motion blur and grain filter disabled). I get between 45fps and 70fps most of the time.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-08, 06:56 AM   #502
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0 View Post
is it better than knights of the old republic?
no, KOTOR is a much better game
Old 06-13-08, 07:18 AM   #503
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
no, KOTOR is a much better game
You say this, but all the complaints you cited are present in KotOR as well - poor inventory management, short, linear environments, quick game time. And frankly KoTOR suffered from its "silent protagonist" in comparison to ME. The story and character development is not only more original in ME, the presentation is much better. Honestly the only real difference between the two games is the combat system.

If you ask me zer0, both games are about equal in quality. What KotOR lacks, ME makes up for, and vice versa. ME's biggest weakness is its "uncharted worlds" exploration system and sidequests that are seemingly pointless or don't make sense in the context of the main plot. Despite this, some of them have interesting story lines and tie in to what you have been doing. There are a few character-based sidequests that are very quick but allow you to interact with your party members more meaningfully, much like in KotOR. It blows KotOR away in terms of the feel of the size of the game world (however artificial, the scope of being able to travel all over the galaxy at will is pretty cool), storyline and character development, and conversation system. I find ME to be more replayable too, with more character classes to choose from and a rewarding achievement system. Not to mention, the conversation trees are so robust, you can have fun seeing what different kinds of results you get from the various encounters in the game.

ME's combat system is as simple or complicated as you want it to be, depending on what class you play. Most people run through the first playthrough as the Soldier class, which is comparatively simple - just blast everything you see until it's dead. On subsequent playthroughs, crank the difficulty up and try an Engineer/Adept or one of the hybrid classes - it's a lot more challenging and very fun. Large battles, especially with biotic-enabled enemies, require a lot of planning and split-second decision making. There is a fair learning curve to the system because it's fairly deep but that isn't entirely apparent, even after completing the game once.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-08, 07:46 AM   #504
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

kotor is a longer game, more planet that take longer to complete. in my opinion with better story, you can actually take control of your squad, inventory is about equal

note: i don't like star wars universe, movies etc.. for a star wars game to win me over was a huge suprise for me.