Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-16-08, 08:23 AM   #541
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Mass Effect (PC) Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post

There are just some games that go better on console. Mass Effect is one of them. ::

its simply not one of Bioware best
Old 06-16-08, 08:29 AM   #542
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Well I liked it on 360. PC is meh. Both have technical glitches with the 360s being the worse, but I still like the 360 version more.

and you can't call BS on my own personal opinion...
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 09:54 AM   #543
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Have you guys looked at the Bioware forums for support? I hate to keep being this Bioware fanboy but I've had absolutely no problems with the game, no crashing, sound issues, or anything like that. Are you sure you have your drivers updated and everything? I mean honestly to say this is better on the 360 is crazy - the framerate, lack of texture pop-in and load times alone make it better, if not the improved inventory management and controls.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 10:05 AM   #544
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

my game hasn't crashed even once
Old 06-16-08, 10:11 AM   #545
ArrowMk84

The only problem I've had with the game is the bug where your weapon overheats and then won't cool down. This happened only once, and it was easily fixed by switching to another weapon and back again.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 10:16 AM   #546
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Heh, even with the problems I've had, I still think its a great game.

After thinking about that second error message a bit I remembered that I did an .ini file tweak that made dead bodies (listed as pawns in the .ini file) have physics. I'm fairly certain that there was a body in the area where the mining laser fired, so it was probably trying to lay on a piece of ground that was "deleted" and it caused the game to crash.

I had another really messed up bug right after that though. I restarted my PC, loaded up the game, and was talking to Ashley on the Normandy. While exiting the dialog I accidentally tapped "e" and ashley's locker happened to be selected. To my surprise, the equipment in her inventory had reverted back to what she started the game with. When I exited her inventory screen, there was another ashley following me around (as if we were outside the ship) and she was wearing the armor that was supposed to be in the locker. I did this again and there were 2 ashley copies following me around (one with new armor, one with old) and the real one was still standing by the lockers.

Very irritating because I had just talked to 4 other characters and I had to reload a game and redo all of the dialog. Its a good thing you can skip dialog easily.

The strange thing is, after reloading I played the game for almost 7 hours (yeah.... non stop... ) without a single error.

I also didn't have any real issues in combat either. Garrus was having some retard moments and wouldn't move where I pointed, but overall the levels I was fighting in must have been laid out MUCH better than the previous ones because my squad mates actually helped me win battles.

The game may have some nasty bugs and an inconsistent combat system, but overall I think its awesome. The dialog and quests so far are excellent. To my surprise, the quests all WORK. The Witcher, Vampire: Bloodlines, STALKER, KOTOR 2 and even KOTOR in some cases... all had glitchy side quests that would break other quests when done out of order. So far I haven't had any of that in this game. If I do or find something before being given the quest, there is dialog and journal entries to account for it.

If it weren't for the strange technical problems and the generally crappy combat AI, I'd say this was an extremely polished RPG. Which is pretty rare these days...
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 02:20 PM   #547
K-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
I tried what you said with making use of each characters abilities, but I'm running into a major problem.

They don't freaking do what I tell them.

If I tell wrex to go to a wall, he will run half way there and then go to a different area. Or if I tell someone to use their abilities, they won't do it unless they are in clear sight of their target (ie, if they are hiding behind a wall they won't look out and attack) and some times they don't even acknowledge my orders. I told wrex to use carnage on someone and he didn't do anything. 10 seconds later I gave him a move order and he used carnage on the wall in front of him and then went to where I told him to go. Its like the order was stuck or something.

Also, the enemy AI doesn't make any sense to me at all. I try to use strategy, but most of the time they just run strait at my squad, run around us in circles while firing (point blank) and then run away. The cover system is completely worthless when the enemies just run around behind you anyway. I keep getting stuck on walls and my team won't follow orders.

So far its worked much better to just let my team follow me around while I run around and randomly shoot at people. If they die, it doesn't really make any difference.

I'm trying to use Wrex and Garrus.

The rest of the game kicks so much ass, I can't believe that the combat is this bad...

EDIT: For what its worth, I loved the combat system in KOTOR. This isn't even close to the same thing. This plays more like that Shadowrun game from last year. It feels loose, clumsy and the weapons are inaccurate with lots of brightly colored stuff flying around.
Oh I know what you mean! If you're standing in the way of a party member when you give them a move order, they won't walk around you and just stand in place saying "I can't get there!" so you have to make sure to move out of the way lol. And also, when you do give a move order, they will go over there but also move to the nearest cover almost always, which often results in them going the wrong way...

I've used Wrex briefly as the party tank, and this is just a theory, but I think because he's so large he has more trouble than everyone else following orders. When I use Ash, she generally moves when I tell her, but when I was using Wrex, half the time the big lug would just stand in place like he was stuck, moving only in open areas with very clear paths.

I agree with your analysis of the enemy AI, which is why it's important to have your party tank run out first since the AI will almost always exclusively attack who they see first (when you can get the tank to move where ya want anyways ). Enemy snipers and stuff tend to stay back and try to do their thing, most regular Geth troopers also stay back, stronger enemies generally fire and slowly approach then when close enough love to bum rush and try to smack people. It's really handy to have a biotic around when the rushers try to get in close, you can put them in stasis and run away or lift them and quickly take care of them.

I guess I just really like the combat because it's so different to what I'm used to (plain jane FPS action), it's got problems for sure, but it's a fun change of pace!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 04:08 PM   #548
brady
I'm like everyone else.

I haven't had any problems so far. Everything's running great even with supersampling and max settings. I'm pretty impressed. I actually prefer using the 360 controller to the KB/M even with the new UI.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-08, 05:47 PM   #549
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Well I liked it on 360. PC is meh. Both have technical glitches with the 360s being the worse, but I still like the 360 version more.

and you can't call BS on my own personal opinion...

no harm done ?
Old 06-16-08, 09:02 PM   #550
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

I am loving this game personally... just did the Noveria mission with the lab at peak 15.... that mission was a blast to play! I assume I am not terribly far into the game so I am looking forward to this game taking some time to play through (expecially if I do the side missions). I decided I am going to go the route of the "Good Side". Basically.... whatever Ashley says to do... I do the opposite and get "good side" points... lol. Seems like that will make things easier later on with more allies. I will probably end up playing the game again (assuming I enjoy the rest of the game) and try to go the route of the "dark side"

The only bug I have had so far (and cant seem to fix) is I can't talk to 2 of my crew members (Kaidan and Liara T'soni)... no matter what mission I finish... when I go to talk to them the game just sits there like its waiting for something to happen... all I can do is load to my last save to continue and can't talk to them.
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 09:08 PM   #551
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Sounds like the game is a random bug generator. Everyone is getting different bugs. Some crash, some sound, some quests break.

Also Ash is very hard to read, sometimes she'll want to do the good thing, other times the bad. Although I have a feeling her dialogue is a case of, I'll wish you did the opposite, much like the way the council will always be on your back no matter which decision you make in Noveria.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 09:16 PM   #552
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Quote:
Sounds like the game is a random bug generator. Everyone is getting different bugs. Some crash, some sound, some quests break.

Also Ash is very hard to read, sometimes she'll want to do the good thing, other times the bad. Although I have a feeling her dialogue is a case of, I'll wish you did the opposite, much like the way the council will always be on your back no matter which decision you make in Noveria.
In short... Ashley is like a real woman.. no matter what you do... you WILL be wrong... haha. Hopefully I don't run into any more bugs.... I suppose I can live without talking to two of my crew members.... better than crashes or anything like that.... it's just annoying becase I am sure talking to them adds to the story in some way.
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote