Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-26-09, 10:49 PM   #1033
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Default Re: Mass Effect (PC) Feedback Thread

I was reading in the Mass Effect forum and also saw that link. I can see now the PC version is a low res and the xbox is a higher res of Garrus. The higher res did look better but in the game his face just didn't cause me to freak out over it. Even after seeing this difference, I'm still not bothered by the way it looks in PC. So it's low res, not the first time it's been this way in a game character. It could have been worse. Lots of people over there in the Mass Effect forum are pretty upset that Bioware didn't fix it. Bioware claims it would take a gigabyte patch to fix it.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 11:19 PM   #1034
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Bioware has a history of terrible post-release support. Fortunately the game is basically fully functional and the PC interface is great compared to the 360, so there's no question as to which version to get. It's just irritating to see.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 11:19 PM   #1035
trivium nate

i registered my game and was able to get something called Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky is this dlc?
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 11:21 PM   #1036
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivium nate View Post
i registered my game and was able to get something called Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky is this dlc?
Yeah, it's a short mission you can access during any save where you can explore the galaxy map with the Normandy (i.e., not at the beginning or end of the game).
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 11:22 PM   #1037
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivium nate View Post
that is the first DLC, there is also recently released second DLC
Old 08-26-09, 11:30 PM   #1038
trivium nate

ah ok i bought htis game forever ago but only recently for w/e reason got into it
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 12:01 AM   #1039
shilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
I was reading in the Mass Effect forum and also saw that link. I can see now the PC version is a low res and the xbox is a higher res of Garrus. The higher res did look better but in the game his face just didn't cause me to freak out over it. Even after seeing this difference, I'm still not bothered by the way it looks in PC. So it's low res, not the first time it's been this way in a game character. It could have been worse. Lots of people over there in the Mass Effect forum are pretty upset that Bioware didn't fix it. Bioware claims it would take a gigabyte patch to fix it.
See, that's the thing. They said it was fixed in the 1.02 patch notes. And now they're just turning the other cheek. I can live with it though. At least I'm not as bitter about it as I am with Left 4 Dead.

As a consumer, I don't like being lied to. It's one thing if they never said that they'd fix it. But it's a completely different story when they tell you 8 months ago that there's going to be a patch and that this certain issue (among others) would be addressed, and it's not.
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 12:06 AM   #1040
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilk View Post
See, that's the thing. They said it was fixed in the 1.02 patch notes. And now they're just turning the other cheek. I can live with it though. At least I'm not as bitter about it as I am with Left 4 Dead.

As a consumer, I don't like being lied to. It's one thing if they never said that they'd fix it. But it's a completely different story when they tell you 8 months ago that there's going to be a patch and that this certain issue (among others) would be addressed, and it's not.
They explained this on the Bioware forum, for what it's worth. His face used to be even more messed up in the character screens, like with equipment and the like... used to look like a mud pool. They fixed that, and now the character always has the same low texture version face. So that is what they meant by fixing it.

They also said fixing it entirely was outside their patch budget.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-09, 04:49 AM   #1041
shilk

Yeah, I read that topic.

Can you believe what the Q&A guy said? It completely pissed me off. He's so damned cluless. He even asks for the link where someone actually made the high-res texture mod for Garrus which means he didn't even know wtf the whole community was talking about since day one? Some guy in the community just makes a high-res face mod for Garrus which works perfect and they can't even get it to work without it crashing? ROFLMAOWTFBBQ. What the hell are these guys getting paid for then?! He's too busy sitting there gloating about ME2 on his "PC".

http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopi...1470&forum=125

Quote:
Well I've been digging into this a bit trying to figure out what's going on.

People's original problem was that Garrus didn't look to be at a high enough resolution anywhere, if my understanding is correct.

Our fix was to change his LOD around in the UIs where he looked like a completely grey blob, since his LOD was reversed.

There were a couple weeks of attempts to replace the art to make his texture appear perfect in and out of the GUIs and they either crashed the game, or required a very large patch (possibly in the gigabyte range).

We couldn't release a patch that large, and crashing the game isn't good, so we stuck with the original texture the game shipped with and put in code fixes to address the LOD in the UIs. I'm pretty sure we all figured it was alright.

But I take it Garrus' face in the UI being a pure grey/brown smere wasn't the issue you guys were looking to be fixed, and you wanted his face to be perfectly crisp in normal gameplay?
Is this guy off his freakin rocker? Of course it has everything to do with the gameplay and the UI face. He addresses the problem in his second sentence, and then closes with a doubt on whether or not he got it right? Give me a damn break.

I never got the blobby face in the UI. It's always been this same look no matter where I see his face in the inventory UI and during dialog scenes. In other words, there was no difference for me pre-patch. I was under the impression that what the readme meant was it fixed the whole issue and not being specific to only the UI areas.

This guy is a complete moron and he should seriously get the freakin boot. I know a handful of more competent people in the gaming industry that could easily replace his position. He can't even spell "smear" right. Dumbass.

After being part of the gaming industry for more years than I care to remember, I figured that a little competence and communication isn't too much to ask for. Is it? For as long as this patch took, it's completely worthless. I'm losing my faith...
Old 08-27-09, 11:22 AM   #1042
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
They explained this on the Bioware forum, for what it's worth. His face used to be even more messed up in the character screens, like with equipment and the like... used to look like a mud pool. They fixed that, and now the character always has the same low texture version face. So that is what they meant by fixing it.

They also said fixing it entirely was outside their patch budget.

how can it be outside teh budget? They have the textures, just swap them out
Old 08-27-09, 12:23 PM   #1043
nomec

Anyone else unable to force AA through the nvidia control panel or with nHancer using 190.xx drivers? It doesn't work for me in these drivers so I have to go back to 186.xx.

8800 Ultras and a 680i mobo.
nomec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 12:37 PM   #1044
shilk

Exactly. Thank you nekro.

nomec: Did you get the beta nHancer?