Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-02, 12:41 PM   #13
dpanter
Using a GF3 Ti500

I seem to recall that Wing Commander 4 was realeased on DVD also. The damn game was 6 CD's btw.
http://home.arcor.de/S.Kohlmann/dvdgames/wc4.htm
http://www.mobygames.com/game/versions/gameId,343/

Blizzard have two DVD's with super-high quality movies from various games. If you recall, the compression in WC3 movies was quite bad and IMHO reduces the replay value of the game.

Anyway, one DVD was released with the Collector's Ed. of WC3, and the other was released separately containing the Starcraft movies etc.
http://www.blizzard.com/starcraft/scdvd/

Seems like you can't buy just the WC3 DVD atm...

Let's hope more game companies go for DVD also.
Old 09-11-02, 09:42 PM   #14
YodaMattAUS

hey fotis where did u get that dvd version of freespace 2?

coz i find it annoying that i have to change between cd's every time i play the campaign

Old 09-12-02, 02:16 AM   #15
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970

Quote:
Originally posted by YodaMattAUS
hey fotis where did u get that dvd version of freespace 2?

coz i find it annoying that i have to change between cd's every time i play the campaign
If you look under my name you'll see I live in Greece.The store is www.e-shop.gr It's in greek so find a translator(if there is one) and buy it.It costs 35.51 euros.You'll have to use the search machine.
I can tell the the dvd version is so cool!!!It has all the patches + close to a dozen new missions.
The dvd disk has some nice reflections!!!
Lood luck!!!
Old 09-12-02, 06:23 AM   #16
Smokey
Team Rainbow

I used to buy Gen4 DVD pc mag every month, and I couldnt belive that Riven wasnt on DVD (5 cds) which needed to be changed all the time. Myst3 also came with 5 cds, but I could do a full install of 3Gb, so not as bad as Riven. I also cant belive games like Diablo2 dont come on DVD
Old 09-12-02, 06:38 AM   #17
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactor...alog=55&DEPA=1

$37, $38, $43... the cost of high quality 16x DVD drives by Liteon, Pioneer, LG... basically what I'm saying is they dont cost much at all anymore. Therefore I think it'd be awesome to see more DVD games released! If your not willing to spend $37 on a DVD drive, then you should be playing games on your PC? I mean not to sound insensitive, but at that price you can have a DVD drive by working a couple hours at any restraunt or retail shop! We're not talking a lot of money here. Even if you go retail instead of online reseller, Compusa is advertising DVD drives for $40 too!

It's time for DVD games (are you reading this Infogrames? Epic? Legend? heh heh)
Old 09-12-02, 07:18 AM   #18
StealthHawk

when so many games are still using only 1 cd it's little wonder as to why we don't see dvd games being embraced.

eventually games will grow faster than compression techniques though.

Old 09-12-02, 03:02 PM   #19
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970

Has anyone got any info as to how many cds for doom3?
Old 09-12-02, 07:44 PM   #20
gmontem

Aside from the DVD version of Wing Commander 4, there are two Japanese games from Falcom that are stored on DVD-ROM which I happen to own -- Ys II Eternal and Ys I+II Complete.

Old 09-13-02, 03:29 PM   #21
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

I think I read a rumour that doom3 would be shipped on dvd, as well as multiple cd's.
Old 09-13-02, 04:43 PM   #22
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by Fotis

If you look under my name you'll see I live in Greece.The store is www.e-shop.gr It's in greek so find a translator(if there is one) and buy it.It costs 35.51 euros.You'll have to use the search machine.
I can tell the the dvd version is so cool!!!It has all the patches + close to a dozen new missions.
The dvd disk has some nice reflections!!!
Lood luck!!!
Are the cinematics uncompressed?

That's what it looked like when i saw the dvd in action, although i coulda been wrong
Old 09-13-02, 04:57 PM   #23
gmontem

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]

MSDN Libraries come on 3 CDs. Why not make a DVD?
I thought it was pretty clear to MSDN subscribers that MSDN is available in DVD as well, not unless you're getting the MSDN CDs from another *cough cough* means.
Old 09-14-02, 01:42 AM   #24
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]

Are the cinematics uncompressed?

That's what it looked like when i saw the dvd in action, although i coulda been wrong
I think they are but I'm not sure.I've never seen how they look on cd!!
Closed Thread