Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-07-03, 02:13 PM   #1
skoprowski

Default How loud are the NON-Ultra 5800's

Newegg has 3 5800's in stock. A Chaintech with the standard Nvidia 5800 cooling, Leadtek with the "Boombox" cooling and an Abit which looks like their own FX-flow cooling. Does anyone know how loud the standard 5800's are? The Abit looks like the card to get if you want to overclock, but the Leadtek may be the quietest.

Thanks,

Scott
skoprowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-03, 02:57 PM   #2
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney

They sound like any other videocard with a regular fan.
Unless u get one with the flow fx.
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-03, 04:25 PM   #3
marcocom

FlowFX is pretty cool , really.

for example, i run my machine all day as a workstation...can someone please point me to the 'quiet-by-day-and-scream-by-night' alternative because that would be awesome.

no?

What other cooler can run INACTIVE (no fan running) while clocking 300mhz core/600mhz ram and pretend its a mild-mannered, un-assuming, on-board workstation solution?

hey what about a decent GPU cooler that doesnt take my first useless PCI slot?

the only time you notice noise is when it first kicks in and frankly...i smile everytime it does- because i know workday is done and its TIME TO PLAY!

Whats funny is how 'happy' and 'satisfied' you guys will be when nvidia ships their next hi-end graphics card with a nice, slim, flimsy, cheap cooler like ATi seems able to do without criticism.

honestly, i might have bought FlowFX on aftermarket , if it had been for sale at a cooling shop, for the 50$ it would have costed and then i would have been stoked and so would everyone else probably...but because its free, consumers feel compelled to complain. the smarter business men among us would do wise to make note of what can be learned from this mistake by nvidia.

humans.

if you actually held a FlowFX in your hands, then looked at that ThermalTake Copper alternative on sale at the local computer store...you would be laughing with me right now too.
marcocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-03, 04:33 PM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by marcocom
Whats funny is how 'happy' and 'satisfied' you guys will be when nvidia ships their next hi-end graphics card with a nice, slim, flimsy, cheap cooler like ATi seems able to do without criticism.
The same "cheap" cooler that VR-Zone was able to use in taking their Sapphire Radeon 9800 from stock speeds of 378/338 to 472/370 without any sort of cooling on the RAM?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-03, 07:06 PM   #5
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
The same "cheap" cooler that VR-Zone was able to use in taking their Sapphire Radeon 9800 from stock speeds of 378/338 to 472/370 without any sort of cooling on the RAM?
As a consumer who bought a retail one. I wish i could hit that, but alas, i cant. my memory donset like to be oc'ed much i get the specs very soon, the core is more oc'able to me though.
Old 05-07-03, 07:28 PM   #6
VoodooNinja

The Winfast Twin-Turbo solution is the most quiet cooling solution of the bunch. All the reviews have mentioned that. The only negatives are you still lose a PCI slot (If you need it) and all the heat stays in the case. (Doesn't matter if you have very good case cooling)
2GB OCZ Reaper HPC
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
74GB WD Raptor
300GB Seagate Barracuda
Creative Audigy 2
Asus 52X CDROM
LiteOn DVD R/RW
Samsung 226BW
Win XP
VoodooNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-03, 07:35 PM   #7
surfhurleydude
Radeon 9900 Pro

That sucks Voodoo, because apparently that cooling solution isn't all that quiet either.
surfhurleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-03, 08:36 PM   #8
Moose
Cheating is for losers!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by marcocom
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

You have got to be kidding right???? Either that or you have been hopelessly brainwashed by Nvidia's PR.

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-03, 08:54 PM   #9
garikfox

Well Flow FX HAS probs guyz man u guyz and yer "DustBuster", LoL
Old 05-07-03, 09:17 PM   #10
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Why don't you just face up to the fact that nvidia screwed up with .13 micron and had to make a quick fix for it? You won't lose your super powers.... unless they are super fanboy powers, then maybe you will...
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-03, 11:06 PM   #11
VoodooNinja

surfhurleydude, all the reviews I read said it was much better in terms of noise compared to the Flow-FX coolers.

Here is from one review. The MSI had the Flow-FX.

The sound produced by the Leadtek is definitely lower than the MSI solution and cooling works much better as well. One fan takes the air in while the other blows it out. The average temperatures as measured by nVidia drivers were close to 60 degress on the MSI whereas the Leadtek runs almost ten degress cooler- around 50-53 range.
2GB OCZ Reaper HPC
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
74GB WD Raptor
300GB Seagate Barracuda
Creative Audigy 2
Asus 52X CDROM
LiteOn DVD R/RW
Samsung 226BW
Win XP
VoodooNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-03, 06:02 AM   #12
surfhurleydude
Radeon 9900 Pro

Quote:
surfhurleydude, all the reviews I read said it was much better in terms of noise compared to the Flow-FX coolers.

Here is from one review. The MSI had the Flow-FX.

The sound produced by the Leadtek is definitely lower than the MSI solution and cooling works much better as well. One fan takes the air in while the other blows it out. The average temperatures as measured by nVidia drivers were close to 60 degress on the MSI whereas the Leadtek runs almost ten degress cooler- around 50-53 range.
Compared to the Radeon 9700 Pro cooler though, they are stilll loud. Everyone that has a Leadtek card considers the noise on par with a CD ROM drive speeding up, I personally consider this loud.
surfhurleydude is offline   Reply With Quote