Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-08, 04:05 AM   #1
maistru

Default When 96.43.xx ?

Great news having 173.14.05 for Linux x86/x86-64 released to work on Fedora 9, but what about legacy driver?
maistru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 07:23 AM   #2
simaqs

Default Re: When 96.43.xx ?

I am also want to know the answer
simaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 11:51 AM   #3
eliwap

Me too
eliwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 12:10 PM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

An updated driver with support for Linux 2.6.25 and a few other fixes should become available in the near future. Support for the X.Org server shipped with Fedora 9 will follow some time after that, but unfortunately, no firm date is available at this point.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 02:10 PM   #5
eliwap

Great news. Looking forward to seeing drivers for FC9.
Old 05-31-08, 02:11 PM   #6
eliwap

Oops I meant Fedora 9
Old 06-30-08, 09:38 AM   #7
pensrock68

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
An updated driver with support for Linux 2.6.25 and a few other fixes should become available in the near future. Support for the X.Org server shipped with Fedora 9 will follow some time after that, but unfortunately, no firm date is available at this point.
Any updated word on the status of this? I want to be able to use my Quadro4 750 in F9. Thanks in advance!
pensrock68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 08:27 AM   #8
bjrosen

Is there any ETA yet on the new legacy driver? It's been a long time since F9 came out and it's also been almost a month since the new driver for current boards came out.

I've been patient because a lot of this is Fedora's fault for jumping the gun on Xorg 1.5. I've used nothing but Nvidia cards in all of my systems (I currently have 7) because Nvidia has always had timely releases and the quality of their Linux drivers was so much better than the competition that I was willing to live with the inconvenience of binary drivers. However the world has changed, Intel has always been open source and now ATI/AMD has completely open sourced their drivers and whats more the quality of their Linux drivers is now competitive with Nvidia. I'm about to buy a new laptop in the next month. I've been waiting for Centrino 2 to come out (it's due next week) because it appears that the next generation of Intel graphics chip will have reached the "good enough" level that I can get good graphics performance with a chip that is well supported out of the box and that won't have the risk of being orphaned like my Nvidia 440GO chip in my current laptop. I'm also planning on building a couple of new desktop systems this year and I'll probably use ATI/AMD cards in them for the same reason.
bjrosen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-08, 11:03 AM   #9
Big P

Quote:
ATI/AMD has completely open sourced their drivers and whats more the quality of their Linux drivers is now competitive with Nvidia.
Misinformation? ATI have not open sourced their drivers, they have opened the specifications for some chipsets (and even then, there's lots more they still have to release) so that an open source driver can be written. FGLRX is and always will be proprietary.

Secondly, if you think fglrx is comparative to nvidia in terms of performance (or features), then you should really research their (lacklustre) xvideo driver, terrible wine support and multiple x server support (to name but a few).

I suggest everyone read this article on why Nvidia and ATI will always produce a proprietary driver and how their proprietary one will always be superior to an open source equivalent. Although the guy who wrote it is quite irritating, it's clear he knows exactly what he's talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/4urlll - Note: I had to use tinyurl since the url contains a "curse" word.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 12:22 PM   #10
memeyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big P View Post
I suggest everyone read this article on why Nvidia and ATI will always produce a proprietary driver and how their proprietary one will always be superior to an open source equivalent. Although the guy who wrote it is quite irritating, it's clear he knows exactly what he's talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/4urlll - Note: I had to use tinyurl since the url contains a "curse" word.
i lol'd
memeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 03:49 PM   #11
bistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by memeyou View Post
i lol'd
Ow what a useful blog !...
bistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 09:36 PM   #12
simaqs

I will post a reply everyday until they give the driver!
simaqs is offline   Reply With Quote