Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-03-08, 09:45 AM   #1
yekibud

Default 2 second delayed window responses on one of two X screens, no xinerama

GeForce 7300
NVIDIA driver: x86_64-169.12
Ubuntu Hardy

I can only get my my 40" LCD TV working as a separate X display if I disable Xinerama - which makes sense. But when I do that, the windowing behavior of my applications in Gnome on my 20" desktop LCD has a 2 second delay on things like: clicking a menu and the menu items drop down appearing, or re-sizing a window.

2 strange things:
  • java windows and their menus/ resizing respond quickly/ as normal
  • the gnome application windows on the 40" LCD TV respond quickly/ normally

No clue what to do. Is there a driver setting that could possibly help with this?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.gz (34.1 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by yekibud; 06-03-08 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Sorry - just saw sticky about including bug report... (attached)
yekibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-08, 08:06 PM   #2
yekibud

Default Re: 2 second delayed window responses on one of two X screens, no xinerama

Still can't figure this out. Any tips from anybody? Again: click on a GNOME menu, or a menu in firefox, or other GUI apps - and there is a 2 second delay before you see the menu item drop-down list. Also, window resizing is slow - 2 second delay between the window maximizing or restoring to it's original size. Only exception is the windowing behavior on Java apps. Other separate X screen is fast as normal.

Any ideas? Anybody? Could this be a compiz setting? An nvidia setting? How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-08, 03:34 AM   #3
pe1chl

Default Re: 2 second delayed window responses on one of two X screens, no xinerama

I don't think this is a driver issue...
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 04:42 AM   #4
maniac103

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl View Post
I don't think this is a driver issue...
Would you mind sharing the reasons for that conclusion with us?
After all, this effect _only_ happens on Nvidia, not on any other driver.
maniac103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 09:33 AM   #5
yekibud

@pe1chl: If it's not a driver issue then what is it? Why wouldn't it be a driver issue?

I can only get dual head working at all under Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) with the NVIDIA drivers, but running separate X screens doesn't seem to work effectively. By "effectively" I mean that you can actually use the window manager on both screens without the performance delay I'm describing.

Has anyone gotten separate X screens working effectively on _any_ linux distro? Has anybody got it working specifically with Ubuntu/GNOME? If so, please let me know what driver you are using and what your system set up is like.
Old 06-18-08, 01:39 AM   #6
MagnusVonMagnum

I've got the same problem here and have had it for some time. It only happens when I start up the 2nd (non-xinerama) display. The 2nd (new) display works fine. The original has those 2 second or so delays on SOME (not all) programs. It's most annoying on Firefox (but then so is the inability to open a 2nd Firefox on the other display with its "you must quit first" type answers. I've got an Nvidia 7900GS card. I originally had the 169 drivers on Mandriva 2008.1 I've since upgraded the kernel to 2.6.24.5-2mnb and the Nvidia drivers to the newer 173 ones. It's made no difference to the problem. I also had the same issue in 2008.0 for Mandriva and whatever kernel it used (I did a fresh install with 2008.1 due to temporary freezes (on the order of 20 seconds or so) on the 64-bit version with my AMD 5600+ CPU. The 32-bit version doesn't freeze.

I don't like Xinerama because some programs try to display across the middle of two monitors and refuse to behave correctly. Two separate displays works much better, except that you can't drag programs over to the other display. I find it odd that I can drag the mouse pointer and even desktop icons across, but not a program. That sucks almost as bad as having a program that refused to stay on one monitor with Xinerama turned on. Neither are acceptable, IMO, but two displays is the lesser of two evils. I'd be happy if I could just click on the window button and tell it to move to the other display instead of dragging it, but you can't even do that. Given Linux/Unix has had multiple displays since the dawn of X, I can't comprehend why these newer window managers don't support the feature properly.

In any case, my only 'solution' has been to stop using the 2nd monitor. If I set up the xorg.config file to use only one display (regardless of whether I do it manually or let the Nvidia control panel do it), the first display runs fine. But then, of course, I get no 2nd display which defeats the point of having two monitors. I've thought about switching the cable outputs as at least then maybe my primary display would be the fast one and the secondary would be slower which would be more acceptable than the other way around, but I haven't tried it yet.

I experience NO 3D Compiz 'slowdowns' for things like window movement, rotating the 'cube' desktop, etc. It's not like I only have 3D acceleration on one display is what I'm saying.

So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to hear about them (other than run Xinerama or use one display).

One other graphical corruption I've noticed is that in Firefox3 (not sure about two, but I think so there too), I get "lines" above text I'm typing in text input boxes. In the search box, I'll have this line above the text as I type a search query. Right now, it's two lines above the one I'm typing but changes as I go to a new line or move the cursor backwards and disppears when I hit return (send input). I can't find any references to such a thing on the web so far. It'll also corrupt the cursor if I move it quickly from left to right across text I've already typed, but then clears up once I type something else. It doesn't do this in any other program in Linux or in WindowsXP on the same machine nor have I seen it on my Mac running OSX 10.4.11 using Firefox3 on all of them. Has anyone else seen something like that before in Linux with or without an Nvidia card? Or is it just my machine? Could some kind of setting be causing it that I'm unaware of? I did import my Windows fonts, but I did it before I tried running Firefox when I was first setting up. I don't recall it doing this at all in Mandriva 2008.0. I don't know if it's compiz or not, but given only Firefox does it (Konqueror does not do it, for example), I kind of doubt it. Besides, I was using Compiz then also.
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 02:11 AM   #7
MagnusVonMagnum

I tried swapping the monitor cables. It didn't change a thing. The primary display is still getting 2 second displays and the secondary is not. So it must be an internal driver/display assignment that determines which display gets slowed, not the actual video card output.

Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I'm using a 20" CRT for my primary display and have a 24" LCD for my secondary display at a higher resolution (in Windows, I use the secondary display mostly for driving games as I have a G25 steering wheel to my right sitting in front of it). I kept a CRT for pinball game development in Windows (i.e. Visual Pinball) as fast ball movements simply look smooth on CRT and blurry on LCD (and that LCD is only a few months old so they're still not fast enough even on 2ms displays compared to CRT for some things). Therefore, I don't know if the delays might be related to using different types of displays. I kind of doubt everyone else having the problem are using two types, though.
Old 06-18-08, 11:10 AM   #8
yekibud

@Magnus:

Good to know it's not just me.

For your Firefox 'you must quit first' problem, try launching it as a different user.

I'm using a 20" Dell LCD and a 40" Samsung LCD-TV - so, yeah, not a problem with your CRT/LCD set-up.

My 'work-around' is to use xinerama - but the results are unsatisfying because, like you say, a lot of the programs do not scale properly, and I get things like distorted aspects in my video players.

But more than that, I'm trying to see if it's possible to send I/O to the different screens from different devices - so I can effectively have two terminals with independent keyboards/mice. Not sure if that's possible - but probably the subject of another thread.

In any case, even if I did get that working, it still wouldn't be a viable solution unless both separate X screens had satisfactory performance. The 2 second delay issue makes it seem that separate X screens is really not possible with NVIDIA/Linux.

Old 06-18-08, 04:28 PM   #9
mocharhw

This is a compiz problem. There is a thread on the Ubuntu forums about it. They are down for maintenance right now though. Anyway, either disable compiz and use metacity or stagger the startup of compiz on the second screen. Someone had posted a little script on the Ubuntu forums to stagger the startup when Gnome boots up.

#!/bin/bash
sleep 5
DISPLAY=:0.0 compiz --only-current-screen --replace &
disown $!
sleep 15
DISPLAY=:0.1 compiz --only-current-screen --replace &
disown $!
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 11:11 PM   #10
MagnusVonMagnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekibud View Post
@Magnus:

Good to know it's not just me.

For your Firefox 'you must quit first' problem, try launching it as a different user.
I guess that's one possible solution, but I'd have to set them up to have the same attributes, etc. I guess I just don't get why the Firefox team hasn't addressed this issue. It can't be that difficult. I can open Konqueror on both displays just fine. I might end up using that browser more often.

Do you see any line above or graphics corruption with Google input boxes, though? I can't figure out why I'm getting them. I've been thinking it's probably just me since I can't find anyone else mentioning the problem anywhere. But it only seems to be Google that has the issue here and only in Linux with Firefox3, specifically.
Old 06-23-08, 04:39 PM   #11
masterpop

Hi,
I am experiencing exactly the same infuriating problem, using two separate x screen displays. I was wondering if anyone has found a solution. I've tried various configuration in xorg.conf to no avail. Thank you kindly.
masterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 02:41 PM   #12
MagnusVonMagnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharhw View Post
This is a compiz problem. There is a thread on the Ubuntu forums about it. They are down for maintenance right now though. Anyway, either disable compiz and use metacity or stagger the startup of compiz on the second screen. Someone had posted a little script on the Ubuntu forums to stagger the startup when Gnome boots up.

#!/bin/bash
sleep 5
DISPLAY=:0.0 compiz --only-current-screen --replace &
disown $!
sleep 15
DISPLAY=:0.1 compiz --only-current-screen --replace &
disown $!
Where do I put this code at, exactly?

Meanwhile, I just installed an update to Mandriva and it included an update to Compiz. The problem still exists. Apparently, they do not either know about the problem, acknowledge it or have little interest in fixing it. It ruins two monitor support and turning off Compiz sucks. I'm all for trying that 'fix' but I need to know where the script goes. I'm not exactly a master of all things Linux yet. I do not use Gnome. I'm using KDE 3.5.

Also, I'm still getting some weird glitches in browser text boxes. Apparently, asking other people if they see anything similar in Linux with Nvidia cards is a waste of time. No one responds even though all they have to do is look at their text boxes while typing a reply (I'm getting vertical lines down the left side of the text box and a horizontal one two lines above the one I'm typing until I do a carriage return).