Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-04-08, 07:22 PM   #1
Revs

Default Intel won't let Nvidia make Nehalem chipsets

Despite the license

Nvidia's Director or PR, Derek Perez, has told Fudzilla that Intel actually won't let Nvidia make its Nforce chipset that will work with Intel's Nehalem generation of processors.

We confirmed this from Intel’s side, as well as other sources. Intel told us that there won't be an Nvidia's chipset for Nehalem. Nvidia will call this a „dispute between companies that they are trying to solve privately“ but we believe it's much more than that.

We all know that Jensen, Nvidia’s CEO, officially stated that Intel stepped over the edge with its comments about Nvidia. Ever since Nvidia entered the chipset license with Intel, Graphzilla was concerned with Intel's history of competing, and they would be naive not to.

If you are old enough, you will remember that Intel killed VIA’s Pentium chipset business even though VIA had a legitimate license. Intel was cool towards Nvidia until recently, up until the point when Intel realized that graphics card might be used for more than gaming and after Nvidia’s bold decision to keep SLI for itself. It was a tough decision to go against Intel but if Intel got the SLI for its X58 chipset or any previous Intel’s chipset, business will be good as dead, or things would get much tougher then they are.

At this point Intel simply doesn’t want to honour its commitments toward he chipset license deal.

Nvidia has confirmed that it is officially becoming a victim of what VIA, AMD and many other companies have felt for a long time, as Intel tends to repress competition when threatened by superior products and technologies.

Nvidia is not the cleanest player around, but without a Nehelem chipset their chipset business unit might actually suffer some heavy losses, and obviously this is not what Nvidia wants.

Despite the fact that Nvidia has a license, Intel simply decided to cut Nvidia off. Intel is playing dirty as Nvidia is the only company that has something that Intel really wants, and cannot get.

It’s a catch 22 situation as Nvdia wants SLI support for itself while Intel would love to get SLI for its Nehalem chipset but Nvidia refuses to give it away.

Intel was always the bully and they simply won't let Nvidia make Nehalem chipsets, which is not really fair and honest way of playing the game. At least Jensen and the rest of Nvidia are not sitting and waiting for mercy; they are all locked and loaded for the biggest fight of their careers.

Let’s not forget that Nvidia said that “Intel's attempt to unilaterally and publicly interpret a contract between the two companies is unprecedented and unsupportable both legally and commercially.”

This Nvidia vs Intel dispute is simply becoming more interesting by the hour.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=7713&Itemid=1
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 08:15 PM   #2
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Thumbs down Re: Intel won't let Nvidia make Nehalem chipsets

They both suck , we don't get SLI with intel chipset and nvidia woun't get Nehalem , consumers loose.
Old 06-04-08, 08:16 PM   #3
grey_1

Default Re: Intel won't let Nvidia make Nehalem chipsets

I hate corporate pissing contests. But if Intel truly is playing dirty I hope they are taken down a few notches this time around.
Old 06-04-08, 09:05 PM   #4
Medion

I have a few beefs with this.

Quote:
Nvidia has confirmed that it is officially becoming a victim of what VIA, AMD and many other companies have felt for a long time, as Intel tends to repress competition when threatened by superior products and technologies.
nForce is utter ass compared to Intel chipsets, with SLI being their ONLY advantage. Superior my ass.

Quote:
Despite the fact that Nvidia has a license, Intel simply decided to cut Nvidia off. Intel is playing dirty as Nvidia is the only company that has something that Intel really wants, and cannot get.
This is a huge mistake on Intel's part, IMO. If they do this, they get no SLI support for their processors, meaning that anyone who wants to run an SLI rig would absolutely have to go AMD. While this won't affect Intel's mobo business, it will reduce sales of their CPUs.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 09:33 PM   #5
Luieburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
This is a huge mistake on Intel's part, IMO. If they do this, they get no SLI support for their processors, meaning that anyone who wants to run an SLI rig would absolutely have to go AMD. While this won't affect Intel's mobo business, it will reduce sales of their CPUs.
I don't think SLI is the thing that sells motherboards. What % of rigs are actually using SLI right now? The situation is bad for consumers, but it is also bad for nVidia because they can't sell chip sets. nVidia will still sell cards (maybe a few less because of no SLI) but Intel probably won't see a change in their CPU sales.
CPU: Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 3.0 Up to 3.8 for heavy jobs
GPU: EVGA 8800GTX
RAM: 4GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4D @ 900mhz 4-4-4-12 Timing (Running without swapfile)

Built: March 2007 with love <3
Cooling: All Air
Luieburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 10:32 PM   #6
Medion

Quote:
I don't think SLI is the thing that sells motherboards. What % of rigs are actually using SLI right now? The situation is bad for consumers, but it is also bad for nVidia because they can't sell chip sets. nVidia will still sell cards (maybe a few less because of no SLI) but Intel probably won't see a change in their CPU sales.
While SLI doesn't sell the majority of motherboards, it's the only advantage nFarce mobos have, and thus, a large portion of NV's sales. Those who want an SLI mobo would have to go AMD, thus cutting out Intel's CPUs.

It would be small margins, but it's still a loss.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 10:46 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

i think what they meant by "superior" is that Intel is a bit scared of stuff like CUDA and Tegra.

GPU with CUDA can be a lot more efficient than best Intel CPU, and well Tegra from what we been hearing is a lot better then Atom. Nvidia needs to get X86 license would be interesting to see what they could do with Tegra chips

this could be simply Intels plan to hinder Nvidia, to make it easier for their Intels new video card venture
Old 06-05-08, 01:41 AM   #8
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
GPU with CUDA can be a lot more efficient than best Intel CPU, and well Tegra from what we been hearing is a lot better then Atom. Nvidia needs to get X86 license would be interesting to see what they could do with Tegra chips
Yes Tegra seem much better than Atom, only thing Nvidia need is write x86 translation software to do x86 decode like Transmeta did with their x86 code morphing software. What I find really very interesting when I searched for Transmeta's x86 licence everywhere and in Transmeta's annual reports, here are no mention of Intel x86 license but Transmeta did licensed AMD's x86-64 and HyperTransport technologies.

Maybe Nvidia do not need x86 license to write x86 translation software.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-08, 02:37 AM   #9
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 View Post
Yes Tegra seem much better than Atom, only thing Nvidia need is write x86 translation software to do x86 decode like Transmeta did with their x86 code morphing software. What I find really very interesting when I searched for Transmeta's x86 licence everywhere and in Transmeta's annual reports, here are no mention of Intel x86 license but Transmeta did licensed AMD's x86-64 and HyperTransport technologies.

Maybe Nvidia do not need x86 license to write x86 translation software.
Uhh, how do you mean, "better" than Atom? Tegra isn't x86 and isn't even close in terms of performance. Kinda limits it to cell phone/pda.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 02:53 AM   #10
Absolution
AbsoUI

Uhm, I'm not buying a nVidia chipset for a long time - thing took like 3 months to get stable.

nVidia needs however, to let Intel use SLI - and I honestly hope Intel agrees to let nVidia make chipsets if they get a SLI license. Competition in MB market is good for us (even though I won't buy NV's chipset as said previously).
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 03:09 AM   #11
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Uhh, how do you mean, "better" than Atom? Tegra isn't x86 and isn't even close in terms of performance. Kinda limits it to cell phone/pda.
It could run x86 with the right software..

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...7642&Itemid=65
Old 06-05-08, 03:10 AM   #12
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I hate corporate pissing contests. But if Intel truly is playing dirty I hope they are taken down a few notches this time around.
Yeah, this is a situation where no-one wins, including the end user. It think this could just be the start of things to come if they don't see sence and start coming to some agreement, which is not likely to happen. I can see things getting out of hand, with both companies competing with new hardware.