Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-08, 05:47 AM   #1
ThomasS

Thumbs down Newest NVIDIA driver 173.xxx for FC9 with SSE support only available?

Happy to see that NIVIDIA has responded to Fedora 9 users geared with a NVIDIA chip set! But something still does not work for me.
Here is my system:
Fedora-kernel 2.6.25-18.fc9.i686
Graphic card: GeForce FX 5200

Installation using yum/Livna repo went fine, without any traceable hassles! Now I do have a nearly unusable system due to this:

thomas> glxinfo |grep direct

NVIDIA OpenGL Driver requires CPUs with SSE to run.

The current CPU does not support SSE.

Hmm, at the moment my system offers at best a dissolution of 640X350 leaving me in a nearly unmanageable state!
Most interesting is that FX 5200 model is listed as supported in the Readme of the newest driver?
Now I do wonder where to proceed from here? Any ideas? Workarounds? Is there an alternative driver configuration for Fedora 9 I've missed for now?

Regards

Thomas

Last edited by ThomasS; 06-06-08 at 06:57 AM. Reason: typo
ThomasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 06:55 AM   #2
Fackamato
User

Default Re: Newest NVIDIA driver 173.xxx with SSE support only compiled?

Please see the sticky posts on how to file a bug report, also, what CPU is in your system?
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 07:00 AM   #3
ThomasS

Hi,

thx for your answer!

Unfortunately I didn't see any reported errors in the named log-file! The only hints was given when using : glxinfo :grep direct!

Thomas
ThomasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 07:29 AM   #4
Fackamato
User

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 12:51 AM   #5
mooninite

Sorry to be so blunt, but do you not understand the English language?

What CPU are you using with your FX5200?
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 03:58 AM   #6
pe1chl

The newest NVIDIA driver no longer works on CPUs that do not have SSE support. The 100.14.19 driver still works on such a CPU, but of course it will not work with Fedora 9.

Again, it is usually not a good idea to keep installing the newest Linux versions when you have old hardware. At some point there are going to be problems, and performance-wise the situation is not going to improve either.
(the newest Linux versions usually expect more performance from the system)
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 05:44 AM   #7
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl View Post
Again, it is usually not a good idea to keep installing the newest Linux versions when you have old hardware. At some point there are going to be problems, and performance-wise the situation is not going to improve either.
It's nvidia fault not Linux. Their newest drivers require SSE support, but what for? They're sometimes slower than older drivers (especially in 2D acceleration if they even provide hardware 2D acceleration...) . They shouldn't force people to buy new CPU's just because they don't know how to write good drivers. Linux kernel is becoming better and faster from version to version, but situation with nvidia drivers is contrary.
Old 06-07-08, 06:41 AM   #8
lloeki
Arch Linux

Quote:
the newest Linux versions usually expect more performance from the system
bull****. I installed again some linux on a PII-266 with a rage3d and 64mb ram (max'ed out: no more mem slots). barring the swapping requiring the use of it as a server or with a very lightweight DE (awesome) it runs very good.

limitation comes from stupid motherboard which won't take more ram: I have a PII 350 here with 384mb and a ati 9000-something that runs like hell. full-blown gnome and OOo run good enough, and neverball is playable (thanks to the good card, I don't expect a rage to drive it)
lloeki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-08, 08:22 AM   #9
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawels133 View Post
It's nvidia fault not Linux. Their newest drivers require SSE support, but what for? They're sometimes slower than older drivers (especially in 2D acceleration if they even provide hardware 2D acceleration...) . They shouldn't force people to buy new CPU's just because they don't know how to write good drivers. Linux kernel is becoming better and faster from version to version, but situation with nvidia drivers is contrary.
because there is more than 2d. And 2d is very well on MY system.

3D needs a lot of fp match today. 3dnow and SSE can speed that up A LOT.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 08:33 AM   #10
kwizart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl View Post
The newest NVIDIA driver no longer works on CPUs that do not have SSE support. The 100.14.19 driver still works on such a CPU, but of course it will not work with Fedora 9.

That's not a problem with linux version. Fedora 9 itself requires at least 400mhz Cpu to work (you can have a kernel.i586 / or a kernel.i686) Of course there is still dedicated distro for old hardware. But the Fedora choice remains possible.

In this case, you just have to pick the 96xx series of the nVidia driver (but for Fedora 9, it will be possible when legacy with be compatible with the new xorg-server - and i don't expect something from nVidia before xorg-server-1.5 is out for the legacy series).

I'm thinking of preventing the newest series (kmod-nvidia in rpm.livna.org case) to be installed if sse isn't present on the system cpu. but the test will only be present on install time whereas it is only usefull at runtime (Livecd creation for example). So this remains a "documentation regression" (users need to read docs).
kwizart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 09:10 AM   #11
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b View Post
because there is more than 2d. And 2d is very well on MY system.

3D needs a lot of fp match today. 3dnow and SSE can speed that up A LOT.
Right, but SSE should be optional.
Old 06-08-08, 06:12 AM   #12
castor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawels133 View Post
They shouldn't force people to buy new CPU's just because they don't know how to write good drivers.
The fact is that everything created at day 1 will not be supported forever. Not by any vendor under the sun.
Why would you even need to install new drivers for such a setup? If there is no SSE support, the system is probably too old make any practical use of the features provided by latest drivers. Its more likely to present new problems rather than making anything better.
castor is offline   Reply With Quote