Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-08-08, 08:23 AM   #1
Hambone

Default ABIT IP35 Pro - Installation/Setup Help

Hey everyone. I haven't built a new system in a year and I'm just trying to get totally ready for this so no time sink hits me when my parts come in. ... thanks for any help.

My gaming rig toasted recently so I ordered some parts this weekend. I'm trying to get prepared for a fast re-build. If anyone here has one of these Abit boards I'd love to here how a new install will go. I went ahead and paid for 2 day shipping on everything I ordered (Q6600, Tuniq Tower, New DDR2), so I should be getting everything on Wed. I'd assume.

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127030

For the last year:
-I've only had to worry about Nforce drivers and Realtek drivers.
-Vista hasn't need a SATA controller driver while installing (F6)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread lists a lot of drivers and stuff, but a lot of them seem out of date and a lot of them will never start downloading:
http://forum.uabit.com/showthread.php?t=124502&page=153

Although, most of the drivers on that list are newer than on Abit's official driver list??

Questions:
1) Will I need a HD controller driver floppy (or CD??) during the install of Vista, or will Vista install and get to the desktop without a driver floppy.
2) Exactly what drivers do I really need and where to get them?
3) Any quirks installing Vista x64 or anything else I should know about?

[installing Vista x64] Looks like I'll need:
1) ??? A SATA controller boot floppy Vista installation (seriously hope not - hate that. )
2) JMicron SATA Driver
3) Realtek 8110SC Gigabit Lan Driver
4) Realtek High Definition Audio Driver ( I guess they only have 1 driver that works for everything they make???)
5) INTEL Chipset Driver - I can't figure out how to find the newest version off Intel's website yet. The download on Abits site is over a freaking year old: 2007-03-05. I guess I'm too stupid to navigate Intel's site.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 12:05 PM   #2
hokeyplyr48
hooah

Send a message via AIM to hokeyplyr48
Default Re: ABIT IP35 Pro - Installation/Setup Help

I have the ABIT IP35 Pro and love it!

1) unless you're using a raid setup, you won't need any drivers during the install. it will automatically use some which you can replace if you want to (although you don't need to) once Vista is installed.
2)N/A
3) only quirk i can think of is you can't install it with 4gb of memory. Install with 2gb, make sure you download the updates (there's a hotfix that cures the issue) then slap the rest of your memory back in.

you don't have to mess with drivers really at all. that's the nice thing, vista will go out and find all those drivers. I let it install sata, audio, lan, chipset, etc. drivers. But manually install your video card drivers from nvidia.com. just get the ones that you feel comfortable using (WHQL vs Beta) and you'll be good to go.

it's a great board, and good luck with your build!
CPU:Q6600 @ 3.5 w/ Ultra 120 extreme|| RAM: 4x2GB G. Skill || Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro || VideoCard: eVGA 260GTX & 7200GS for triple monitoring || Sound Card: Creative X-FI xtremegamer || Hard Drive: 2 x 150GB Raptor in RAID 0 (OS and Program Files) | 1 x 150GB Raptor (User Drive) | 1 x WD 2TB HD SATA II | 1 x 1TB Seagate | 1 x WD 500 GB HD SATA II | 1 x Seagate 400 GB HD SATA II | 1 x WD 160 GB HD IDE (slow, only for storage) || Monitor: Dell 30" 3007WFP LCD, Acer 22" widescreen, & Gateway 17" || Case: Antec 900 || PSU: 1 KW athenatech or force or something PSU || Keyboard: Logitech G15 || Mouse: Logitech MX 518 || OS: Windows 7 Build 7201 x64

Secondary Rig: FX-60, 7900GTX, 2 x 1BG OCZ Platinum, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Antec 180, XP x32
hokeyplyr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 12:23 PM   #3
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

For the Vista install you *might* need a USB drive to load the SATA drivers if you're running in AHCI mode, which is recommended since it enables Native Command Queuing and other features. If you run into any trouble, you'll want to get the boot floppy and extract it to a USB key. The best feature of the Vista install is it can see and browse removable storage devices, unlike XP.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...%2064&lang=eng

For the Intel chipset drivers this is what you need:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...%2064&lang=eng

Good luck!
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 12:26 PM   #4
baldbrad

Does the IP35 pro support 45nm cpus with out a bios flash?
baldbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 01:02 PM   #5
DeusGear

I formatted my vista 32 installed a few days ago and installed vista 64 on my ip35-pro. I did not need any F6 floppy drivers, it recognized my sata easily during the intro screen and let me format it and install vista 64. After I booted my network drivers were already running fine, and all I had to install was the intel matrix storage control driver, my sound drivers and my nvidia drivers. Then I was good to go: took 20 minutes tops.

I HIGHLY suggest downloading Vista 64 SP1 (I know people will bitch at me about pirating but I already own vista 32 with a real key). Reason for this the SP1 streamlined install has all the fixes and patches to problems that might make your install a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbrad View Post
Does the IP35 pro support 45nm cpus with out a bios flash?
Yes
8gb G.Skill
Win7
DeusGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 01:06 PM   #6
Hambone

Just looking around (the Abit forums are down for some reason), it looks like in early this year the board supported the 45nm cores with a beta bios. That makes me think that you couldn't count on a brand new board right now having a BIOS new enough to have 45nm support. But, would it at least POST with a 45nm CPU in so you could flash without having to jump start the board with another 775 processor?

-------------------

Thanks for the tips.

Dang, very sad to here I can only have 2G of RAM in for the installation of Vista. It would be nice to close the case and not go back in (that CMOS clear switch on the I/O plate looks freaking nice!).

Umm.. crap. I don't even know what AHCI is, and I've never put drivers on a thumb drive for using during an OS installed. I'll read up. I'm assuming AHCI is a SATA feature in the BIOS that isn't "on" by default?

Thanks again!
Old 06-08-08, 01:12 PM   #7
Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusGear View Post
I formatted my vista 32 installed a few days ago and installed vista 64 on my ip35-pro. I did not need any F6 floppy drivers, it recognized my sata easily during the intro screen and let me format it and install vista 64. After I booted my network drivers were already running fine, and all I had to install was the intel matrix storage control driver, my sound drivers and my nvidia drivers. Then I was good to go: took 20 minutes tops.

I HIGHLY suggest downloading Vista 64 SP1 (I know people will bitch at me about pirating but I already own vista 32 with a real key). Reason for this the SP1 streamlined install has all the fixes and patches to problems that might make your install a problem.

I just upgraded to Vista x64 from x32 a month ago. At the time Newegg listed the OEM version as "SP1" but it isn't what I got. I had a hell of a time installing in. The first time I was out of the room and it started pulling down 55 updates - 90% of them failed. In the end, I had to do this:

-Unplugged Network Cable
-One at a time w/ reboot, installed the 3 non-security updates that were newer than 1/29/08.
-Installed SP1 (had the x64 standalone version downloaded already)
-Installed the remaining 6 or so updates that were left on Windows Update after SP1 was installed - had them all pulled down at the same time
Old 06-08-08, 01:21 PM   #8
DeusGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
I just upgraded to Vista x64 from x32 a month ago. At the time Newegg listed the OEM version as "SP1" but it isn't what I got. I had a hell of a time installing in. The first time I was out of the room and it started pulling down 55 updates - 90% of them failed. In the end, I had to do this:

-Unplugged Network Cable
-One at a time w/ reboot, installed the 3 non-security updates that were newer than 1/29/08.
-Installed SP1 (had the x64 standalone version downloaded already)
-Installed the remaining 6 or so updates that were left on Windows Update after SP1 was installed - had them all pulled down at the same time
Yeah that sucks. I didn't need to remove a single component during my install with vista 64 sp1. Even the fact that I had 4gb of ram and x-fi was fixed and caused no problems.
8gb G.Skill
Win7
DeusGear is offline   Reply With Quote