Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-12-08, 03:41 PM   #1
Hambone

Default Q6600 VID & Vcore confusion

Got my new board, ram and Q6600 yesterday. Temps are high I know - about to pull the board and redo my thermal paste job.
-PC Power and Cooling 750W Silencer
-Antec 900 Case
-Q6600
-Abit IP35 Pro (1.4 BIOS - suppose to be the best for 65nm processors right now)
-Artic Silver 5
-Tuniq Tower 120.

I spent all day today thinking I had a 1.3125 VID Q6600. I'm confused right now. I know what VID stands for, but what I'm confused about is what the difference between Vcore and VID is

My motherboard under Auto-Detect sets Vcore at 1.3125.
LAST NIGHT (CoreTemp detected a VID 1.3125)

When I got home today Core temp now shows a VID of 1.625. CPU-Z shows a Core Voltage of 1.150 and Speedfan shows a Vcore of 1.26.

OK, is my motherboard auto-dectecting Vcore (1.3125) wrong? I have to pull out the board to try a re-do on the thermal paste job but I'll start playing around after that. I'm wondering what the Vcore should actually be set to in the BIOS. If CPU-Z is right and 1.150V is what the Vcore should be at - that would explain my temp problem.

Thanks for any advice.

edit: OK on this Abit IP35 Pro motherboard, 1.3125 is the absolute lowest Vcore I can select. ?? CoreTemp is also showing a VID of 1.3125 again.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 04:33 PM   #2
DeusGear

Default Re: Q6600 VID & Vcore confusion

Coretemp VID is what the auto voltage is on your motherboard.
8gb G.Skill
Win7
DeusGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 04:35 PM   #3
grey_1

I thought VID was the percentage of the Vcore that's fed to fire the proc up on start while vcore is what it is actually supplied while running?
Old 06-12-08, 04:53 PM   #4
DeusGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I thought VID was the percentage of the Vcore that's fed to fire the proc up on start while vcore is what it is actually supplied while running?
Oh hm you may be right, it's been a while since I read up on it
8gb G.Skill
Win7
DeusGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 05:12 PM   #5
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusGear View Post
Oh hm you may be right, it's been a while since I read up on it
That was more question than statement..been a while for me too.
Old 06-12-08, 08:18 PM   #6
Hambone

I read around a bit. I guess I just got unlucky. But, I already got 3.0Ghz at stock voltage with 1hr stable running OCCT. So all is not lost. Looks like this will be a hot runner and I'll end up riding 60C for a better OC. But hell, I've got a spare E6600 in the closet incase it blows. And it was only $187 when I bought it.

"You are not the best chip - I will abuse you without concern"

What I did learn was that this ABIT IP35 Pro bard sets the VID as the lowest selectable voltage. So, this board actually blocks you from undervolting. Why they'd do that I have no idea. The ABIT IP35 Pro has a freaking CMOS reset switch on the back panel next to the PS/2 ports. Even if you undervolted to where the system would not boot, all you'd have to do is flip the switch! Come on Abit! Another annoying thing is that on their website they list an old version of uGuru (that crashes in Vista x64 for me). It's like 1.04. You have to actually know the FTP dir to see there alerady is a v1.07.

I can run 1.07 to make changes, but it makes the system very unstable - even did a fast shutdown and full-on crash of the OS already. So, I took it off auto-start and only open it when I need it. It's a nice tool - why can Abit devote a little time to it? I was a much happier EVGA (680i) customer. Even though that board burned out 6 sticks of RAM on me - at stock volts and speeds.

Uguru FTP directory:
ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/utilities/uguru/
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote