Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-08, 06:57 PM   #1
Logical

Default Hmm which MOBO

Intel x48 Asus rampage formula or Intel P5Q Deluxe...
Will be using this mobo for a q6600 cpu and nvidia 9800GX2 to run on a 30" Dell. Overclocking will definately be a must.

What do you guys think ?
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-08, 08:42 AM   #2
Hambone

Default Re: Hmm which MOBO

I don't know jack about either of those boards, but I'll brain dump here.

I just switched off an 680i like you have listed in your sig. The biggest shock you'll notice is that unlike the Nvida chipset, you won't be able to unlink the RAM. Luckily I bought 8GB of DDR2-1000, so I consider the range between 800 & 1000 my play room.

I went with this board myself, and really do love it (Abit IP35 Pro):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127030

Things I've learned about the Abit IP35 Pro:
-Can't unlink the memory
-The Sept '07 1.04 BIOS is the best one for Quad cores. The current 1.06 Bios was optimized for 45nm CPU's and introdues some problem with the 65nm quads
-By defualt, USB control is set to OS in the BIOS. To use a mouse or keyboard when using a boot disk (Memtest, Ghost, Partition Magic, etc), you have to change from "OS" to "BIOS" controlled
-The Uguru Tool is unstable under Vista x64. It will stay up long enough for me to make changes though - but I close it right away to keep from having a system crash. To get the newest version, you have to use the FTP site: ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/utilities/uguru/
-Had a problem where my 3pin Tuniq Tower Fan on the 4 pin CPU connector was causing it to run at min speed. I had to use the Uguru tool at the OS level to "unstick" it.
- ... forgetting something

The Q6600 I just got from Newegg last week is a G0 stepping, but I got a crappy 3.125 VID one. Which means I got the 2nd worst G0 you can hope to get (yippee). http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=2077477

I have an Antec 900 case (nice airflow - lots of fans and a 120mm chimmeny fan) and a Tuniq Tower 120. I also mounted an extra 120mm fan on the intake side of the Tuniq Tower.

So, with the 2nd worst G0 you can get, I'm far from done with my OC'ing but here's what I've got so far. (I have not yet disabled any Intel BIOS settings or increased any chipset voltages):
3.4Ghz @ 1.46v Stable with x64 Prime95 25.6 build 6 and OCCT running togather 4 hours
3.2Ghz @ 1.34v Stable with x64 Prime95 25.6 build 6 and OCCT running togather 4 hours

(when 100% maxxed stress testing with Prime95+OCCT)
The problem is that to get 3.4Ghz my temps go up to 62c on a couple of coresand spike up to 64c (61c is what most people seem to say is the temp where damage can start occuring to the chip). At 3.2Ghz, the temps reach a max of 58c. I did try re-applying my theraml paste job (artic silver 5), but it didn't really help. Looks like this 1.3125 VID Q6600 just loves to run hot.

Hopefully with some fine tweaking I can get 3.4Ghz under 60c during stress testing. If I can't, I really can't complain about 3.2Ghz. That's still a fine OC for air cooling.

BTW, these graphs really show the ass-kicking goodness of an OC'd Q6600. I went back and forth between a Q6600 and an E8400 before I ordered one. I didn't see these benchmarks until after my Q6600 had come in and it made me feel a lot better about my purchase:
http://xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/dis...d-q6600_8.html
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-08, 02:37 PM   #3
CapnKirk

x-box or ps3, pc is fubar as a gaming platform at the moment, but if you have money and enjoy being really pissed off using your rig, then yeah pc is 4 teh winn....

Defiant Modification Solutions™
Defying Murphy's Law

"Show me, Don't tell me!"
CapnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-08, 03:22 PM   #4
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKirk View Post
x-box or ps3, pc is fubar as a gaming platform at the moment, but if you have money and enjoy being really pissed off using your rig, then yeah pc is 4 teh winn....
Console forums are that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-14-08, 03:25 PM   #5
Logical

I'm gonna go with the rampage BTW.... seems the reviews it got are pretty solid and is also a stable overclocking mobo.
Old 06-14-08, 10:37 PM   #6
CapnKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixteH View Post
Console forums are that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
console forums are not full of people having problems, it's full of posts about having fun...

the bust my balls forum is over there.....

have fun with the rampage as the reviews where very good with the Striker 2 Formula as well.

in short..

Defying Murphy's Law

Old 06-15-08, 03:36 AM   #7
Logical

I swear sometimes that these forums need age restrictions.........
Old 06-15-08, 04:09 AM   #8
Muppet

From what I have read the X48 boards have the ability to unlink the Memory from the FSB. This is a great plus when overclocking.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-08, 04:24 AM   #9
CapnKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixteH View Post

I swear sometimes that these forums need age restrictions.........

Look dude, you're the one who made the stupid remark towards my post so what's your point??

Defying Murphy's Law

Old 06-15-08, 08:52 AM   #10
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
From what I have read the X48 boards have the ability to unlink the Memory from the FSB. This is a great plus when overclocking.
I think the unlinking of the FSB is limited to the Nvidia chipset mobo's m8.
Old 06-15-08, 09:12 AM   #11
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKirk View Post
Look dude, you're the one who made the stupid remark towards my post so what's your point??
His point is this is a PC hardware site and he was asking for advice on a new motherboard for his PC. You didn't have to come in here and chime in with all your wisdom about consoles. If you can't contribute to the thread, then don't post. The PC vs Console war is old, plus not every PC gamer has problems.

Back on topic...

I'm in the same boat with you, TrixteH, as far as trying to decide on a new motherboard. Not an easy decision. Good luck with your purchase!
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 06:40 PM   #12
CapnKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippe View Post
His point is this is a PC hardware site and he was asking for advice on a new motherboard for his PC. You didn't have to come in here and chime in with all your wisdom about consoles. If you can't contribute to the thread, then don't post. The PC vs Console war is old, plus not every PC gamer has problems.

Back on topic...

I'm in the same boat with you, TrixteH, as far as trying to decide on a new motherboard. Not an easy decision. Good luck with your purchase!

Get a clue before you play God.
I'll post what, where and when I please, you have a bug up your a$$, don't take it out on us.

I know WTF he was asking.
Do you? Because I don't see any motherboard suggestions in your post.

I'll take a PC over a console any day, this is the first console I bought so I can have some fun while I'm fixing, trouble shooting the high price crap that these companies are spitting out.

You don't know me, and what gives you the right to tell me not to post?
At least I was honest and to the point, while you said nothing to help him.
Did I ever get on your case in any of your posts? No!
SO get off my a$$ and go get laid or whatever it is you need to do.

None of my posts are direct attacks when I reply. If you can't deal with my posts being point blank then DON'T FUCCCKING READ THEM!

SO what board should he get again???

Defying Murphy's Law