Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-09-11, 06:47 PM   #421
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Which VMWare are you guys downloading? The VMware Player? http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Or a different version?
Yes, player. Small, compact and works great. I am running four cores for the VM and everything works.

Gonna download apple updates overnight. Over a GB of them.

Downloaded all updates, have everything working. Removed all itunes, apple, etc. from windows machine and just have steam on it now.

EDIT 2:
Screenshot

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-10-11, 09:29 AM   #422
ViN86

Default Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Go tell your sad sap story elsewhere.

Only reason I didn't do it previously was I read (mistakenly) that it was a 512MB download. On my home speed, that's 3 hours. Im impatient and went for VB instead.

...as the old tale goes, going the shorter route always takes longer.

Have stuff going on all night but when I get back late tonight I am going to mess around some more. VMWare is great software.

Only thing acting up is I get random freezes on Safari and have to force quit.

AND... THANKS VIN86(25).

Their. Be happy.
LOL you're welcome. I got freezes in Safari too. I just use Firefox instead. It's much better.

Does VMWare Player support the pause feature? I always just pause the VM instead of shutting down because it's easier and faster to start back up.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 12:38 PM   #423
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
LOL you're welcome. I got freezes in Safari too. I just use Firefox instead. It's much better.

Does VMWare Player support the pause feature? I always just pause the VM instead of shutting down because it's easier and faster to start back up.
Same here. I downloaded FF and Its fine now. I can't get over how had Safari is.

Yes, VMWare player supports "suspend" which is hibernate basically. That's what I have been doing.
Old 02-10-11, 01:20 PM   #424
ViN86

Quote:
Same here. I downloaded FF and Its fine now. I can't get over how had Safari is.
LOL the worst part is they ripped off most of it (and OSX to be honest) from open source apps.
Old 02-10-11, 03:50 PM   #425
Bearclaw

Man, K+M doesn't work now all of a sudden. It is locked into the OSX VM so when I start it up I can't control it outside of it, and it won't show inside.
Old 02-10-11, 04:25 PM   #426
grey_1

Quote:
Man, K+M doesn't work now all of a sudden. It is locked into the OSX VM so when I start it up I can't control it outside of it, and it won't show inside.
Little items just like this are exactly why I'll wait until I have the real thing. Too frustrating.
Old 02-10-11, 04:52 PM   #427
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

BC - Why are you using crappy FF? Download Chrome, it's the best browser on the Mac hands down. Nice screenshot too!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 05:51 PM   #428
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Little items just like this are exactly why I'll wait until I have the real thing. Too frustrating.
Understandable, but I know it's user error. I just have to figure it out now.

EDIT: Apparently I hit connect to VM and it disconnected from W7 machine. I just unplugged the mouse and plugged back in. Works fine.

@SIx - I tried and used Chrome for a long time. Didn't like it. Needs a lot of work.

Old 02-10-11, 06:00 PM   #429
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
What are you talking about?
I just meant some of the GUI features come from other software. MS does the exact same thing. Hell, MS copies Apple and Apple copies MS too. And Mac OSX is based on BSD, but they have their own proprietary kernel.

The underlying features of Safari, including the rendering engine, are completely proprietary to Apple though.

So "most of it" was an unfair qualifier, but it's a hyperbole. It's supposed to exaggerate.
Old 02-12-11, 03:18 PM   #430
Albo

Quote:
Understandable, but I know it's user error. I just have to figure it out now.

EDIT: Apparently I hit connect to VM and it disconnected from W7 machine. I just unplugged the mouse and plugged back in. Works fine.

@SIx - I tried and used Chrome for a long time. Didn't like it. Needs a lot of work.
How did you fix it?

I am trying to use the mvware, but it won't detect my mouse and keyboard. I have a wireless mouse and a PS/2 keyboard.
I tried unplugging but that didn't work.

What did you do to fix yours?

Thanks! much appreciated.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 03:43 PM   #431
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
How did you fix it?

I am trying to use the mvware, but it won't detect my mouse and keyboard. I have a wireless mouse and a PS/2 keyboard.
I tried unplugging but that didn't work.

What did you do to fix yours?

Thanks! much appreciated.
I haven't used VMWare for long but from what I understand when you boot up the VM it takes whats plugged in and connects it. So to speak.

If it doesn't 'connect' automatically, start it with the KB&M unplugged. You will get a prompt saying it couldn't be found. Just hit ok and plug it back in. It should connect right away. That's what I did, anyway.

What version OSX are you using? Updating to 10.6.6 helped with various problems as well.
Old 02-12-11, 09:05 PM   #432
ViN86

Really you guys are getting those problems in VMWare? VMWare creates a fake computer for the software to run on. It's supposed to bridge your mouse and keyboard as a USB mouse and keyboard.