Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-08-11, 09:55 AM   #1
FrozenFox

Default [Fixed] Drivers after 280.13 break transparency in TF2.

Arch Linux x86_64, up to date. Team Fortress 2 in wine has issues with transparency when using a newer nvidia driver. Wine version and kernel version are unrelated, as they are kept stable throughout reproducing this bug with changing only Xorg and Nvidia drivers. The same issue did occur in an old version of wine too in the same way, but this is running the latest (1.3.32).

Visual guide to what is wrong (transparency is very bright like it is lit up.. pretty clear difference in the pictures below):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...nFoxZ/good.jpg Fine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../notsogood.jpg Broken.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...xZ/perfect.jpg Fine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...notsogood2.jpg Broken cloak + water.

Steps to reproduce for me:

1. Install Xorg-server 1.10.4 and Nvidia 280.13.
2. Go to map ctf_doublecross and go downstairs where the water is as a spy.
3. Notice the water is fine, and so is cloak with right click.
4. Fire the revolver at least once, then cloak again.. no problems.

1. Install Xorg-server 1.11.2 prerelease and Nvidia 285.05.
2. Go to map ctf_doublecross and go downstairs where the water is as a spy.
3. Notice the water is very bright for some reason. Cloak works fine though.
4. Fire with the revolver at least once, then cloak. The cloaking is messed up now too, and very bright.

Here are combinations I have tried.. note that I rebooted after installing each combination just to be absolutely certain they applied fully:

1. Xorg-server 1.10.4 + Nvidia 280.13 = No problems
2. Xorg-server 1.10.4 + Nvidia 285.05 = Messed up
3. Xorg-server 1.11.2 prerelease + Nvidia 280.13 (w/ ignoreABI) = No problems
4. Xorg-server 1.11.2 prerelease + Nvidia 285.05 = Messed up

EDIT: They say the simplest solution is usually the best one. For everyone else experiencing this bug running Arch, use Arch's xorg packages. Then, download and edit Arch's nvidia, nvidia-utils, lib32-nvidia-utils, and opencl-nvidia [part of nvidia-utils] PKGBUILDs to match the nvidia "long lived" (275.36 at this moment) packages -- you should only need to change the pkgver and md5sum lines. Build and install those. If somebody needs, I can send them the pkgbuilds or built packages. Make sure to block them from being upgraded further via IgnorePkg in /etc/pacman.conf .

----------------------
As a side note, combination #3 worked just fine the first reboot, but after rebooting a second time, steam wouldn't even start with the following error. It doesn't really matter though, I prefer doing it the right way anyway and just sticking to combination #1. I have reproduced that weird little quirk several times. Ultimately though, I doubt this is important, and probably has something to do with ignoreABI and isnt particularly related to this bug.

X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 135 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Value in failed request: 0x2b
Serial number of failed request: 1396
Current serial number in output stream: 1397
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (66.1 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by FrozenFox; 01-05-12 at 11:01 PM.
FrozenFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 05:39 PM   #2
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Drivers after 280.13 break transparency in TF2.

Are you aware of related wine bug tracker entries about this issue?
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 06:44 PM   #3
FrozenFox

No. I have looked through all the bugs attached to the tf2 page in wine, and none of them are similar. The closest ones are:

[These are the same bug]
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24684
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26714

.. but that doesn't apply to me. I turned multi core rendering off a long time ago, and those issues went away. and they aren't similar to this anyway, they tend to involve lights bleeding through the map, not broken transparency.

and..

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20053
.. but that isnt really even close to my issue. I stopped having black and missing texture issues a long time ago.

A quick search outside of the bugs linked to the game reveals nothing of interest either.. enlighten me?
Old 11-08-11, 07:09 PM   #4
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

OK, thanks for checking. It seems like you accidentally edited your original post; can you please restore the information relevant to reproduce this bug? In particular:

- nvidia-bug-report.log
- symptoms
- steps to reproduce

I gave it a quick try with 285.05, but didn't observe anything obviously wrong with the spy cloaking field. I don't think the map I tried had any water, though; ideally if you could narrow down some easy steps at the start location of a practice map, that would be very helpful.
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 09:54 PM   #5
FrozenFox

Sorry, fixed the original post and restored most information I could. I'm not in linux atm to provide the nvidia log, but I will be sure to add it in next time I am.

Also, what is with the posts being all over the place in this thread x_x I am so confused..
Old 11-09-11, 03:04 AM   #6
FrozenFox

I added the bug report log to the main post as requested, after once again reverting to one of the 'bad' setups. Should I add one for the good setup?

Also.. re-added the probably irrelevant error I had before to the first post.

..Also, I see now what happened with the posts being all messed up.. when I log in, the posts reverse the order that they were in not logged in, so I had edited the posts thinking I had done something to make them backwards when they were actually just fine and managed to overwrite the first one instead. Oops. Fixed that option in vbulletin settings in userCP, which I managed to activate at some point not noticing it. Also, some browser addons were messing with the layout.

.. Anyway, all fixed, I suppose. Sorry for the confusion
Old 11-22-11, 02:57 PM   #7
FrozenFox

For those with this problem waiting for a fix before upgrading, the new 290.10 drivers don't help.
Old 01-05-12, 11:00 PM   #8
FrozenFox

This bug appears to be fixed with nvidia beta drivers 295.09 (using wine 1.3.36, though that shouldn't matter based on my earlier experiments).

Thanks, nvidia. \o/