Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-03-08, 04:26 PM   #193
12axing

Default Re: Overheating and similar issues with GeForce GTX 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigimita View Post
but what is the reason? a problem with drivers, bios or hardware?
aaah, sorry, misunderstood you, and thougth, you believed, that I wouldn't know that the card does not get cold immediatelly after a game.
I believe, that the fan does not decrease it's speed due to an bug in the drivers, as I didn't notice any changes on the noise of the fan without the drivers, but don't know the true reason. Under linux I have the same problems with the cooler. It sqeels like a pig on both linux and windows after running 3d applications.
12axing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 02:20 AM   #194
DBEST1

Default Overheating and similar issues with GeForce GTX 280

HMM,
i got my Asus ENGTX280 Yesterday, installed it and as soon as i launch up crysis/ any other game 5seconds in it crashes, and turns off the machine..

i have a X- power 700W psu -

Code:
 http://www.compucase-hec.co.uk/mainpages/product_detail.asp?pid=64
and running only 2 hard drives and a CD drive..

i touched the card after that and it seems hot, but not THAT hot, i also just noticed that i get a message sayin the chip fan is not working correctly. damn it, RMA time i gues??

am really dissapointed as its me 1st GFX upgrade since i bought the 7950GT!
DBEST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 02:34 AM   #195
DBEST1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikRedbeard View Post
I'm having the same issue but it isn't an eVGA or BFG.

I have an Asus GeForce GTX280 1GB DDR3 2xDVI/HDCP and it goes from
55C to 115C (within a min) and then turns itself off.
I even tried putting the card right in front of my Airco. The only effect this had is that it would take a min longer to reach the 115C treshold.

Used ATITool's Show 3D function for stress test.

I've sent a mail to the reseller today and i'm waiting for a response.

Hope it all goes well.

Oh it also sounds like it's constantly changing fanspeed a bit when running full, guess that's what byte8086 means with "squealed like a pig."

did u get your asus card sorted? Its the same card that i have and im having the same issue, but i dont know what temp its hitting and it switches of the whole machine
DBEST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 05:51 AM   #196
Telstar

My Asus card runs VERY cool. Around 50 idle and around 70 under load (game).
The idle temps are cooler than my gtx8800.

What i can tell is to rma the defective ones.
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 08:32 AM   #197
ErikRedbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBEST1 View Post
did u get your asus card sorted? Its the same card that i have and im having the same issue, but i dont know what temp its hitting and it switches of the whole machine
Nope i got a refund. And then got myself one of the competitors cards.
ErikRedbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 09:56 AM   #198
zeakros

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJM View Post
I got 105C in quake wars but not in the head demo. Have you tried the Medusa Demo? I'm getting it now

edit: if I let the human head demo runs for about 5 minutes the GPu gets to 105C.
Medusa Demo runs cooler than Human Head, around 85C. Anyway Gtx 280 runs cooler on DX10 Apps than DX9.

Furthermore I managed to solve all of my overheating issues by adjusting the cooler screws on the PCB as they were way too loose( Note: I do NOT suggest it for any of you to try it because if not done right-e.g. tighten the screws too much- you can cause even worse heating problems or make your card unusable).

Now i game between 68-73C (Oblivion) and 75-86C (crysis). I get 86-87C max at Human Head demo and my worst Temperature is 95C in Furmark stressing test with everything set to full. All this with high Amp temperatures (32-35C = 89.6-95F)

All this point to one direction: Poor assembly. If you get lucky you get one that has proper contact between the core and the heatsink, if not....

Anyway if you get 105C (the temp where the card starts to throttle) under any scenario you should RMA it. It is poorly assembled and thus defective.
zeakros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 04:26 AM   #199
luigimita

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12axing View Post
aaah, sorry, misunderstood you, and thougth, you believed, that I wouldn't know that the card does not get cold immediatelly after a game.
I believe, that the fan does not decrease it's speed due to an bug in the drivers, as I didn't notice any changes on the noise of the fan without the drivers, but don't know the true reason. Under linux I have the same problems with the cooler. It sqeels like a pig on both linux and windows after running 3d applications.

i haven't resolved this issue with Xtreme G-Forceware 177.41
Old 07-08-08, 03:09 PM   #200
gungygussit

Hey Guys, I'm back...again.

I just got my replacement BFG 280 come through from OCUK, needless to say...it looked good at first but as usual within 30 seconds the card reached a lovely temperature of 105 degrees.

I am so angry right now I'm trying not to put my foot through my PC, I'm gonna give BFG one last go if not, get a full refund, this card is a peice of ****.
gungygussit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-08, 06:46 AM   #201
gungygussit

A bit of good news, I spoke with BFG again after getting my 2nd replacement card - The guy I spoke with said he'll escalate the issue directly to nVidia for help, as he can't find any reason as to why the card would overheat so badly under any form of stress, unless the system ambient temperature was over 60 degrees (mines 30).

Watch this space for a response from nVidia I guess...
gungygussit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 09:50 AM   #202
particleman

I don't know what is going on with nVidia's quality control but it has got to improve. I mean looking at the poll on this forum it looks like around half the 280's are bad. Having exchanged one my personal experience seems to reflect this 50% defect rate.

nVidia is going to see a massive decline in profits this quarter, pricing pressure from ATi, a massive and expensive chip to produce, and a very high defect rate, make for a bad combination.

I'm sure their partners aren't very pleased with them right now either, having to drop the price of their cards to compete so soon, and having to RMA so many cards.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 01:23 PM   #203
AT1st

Hi,
I think my 280gtx died on me and need your help to confirm that.
I got an asus 280gtx 2 days ago, it worked well on day one (played ~3 hours crysis, fear and et:qw without problems - didn't monitor the temperatures, the fan got pretty loud in crysis, though)
but yesterday after 1 hour of et:qw it suddenly gave me a black screen with red lines. After reboot I got the red lines and a bsod in windows (which vanishes too fast to read it), strangely a 2nd reboot removed the lines and all worked normal again. But after 5 minutes of playing it crashed again. All I can do since then is to boot until the desktop should be loaded and then, either a bluescreen is shown very shortly (can't read it) or it just hangs. Those red lines won't go away again. (I reinstalled/reconnected the card to no avail).

A picture I took during boot is attached.

Anybody seen such a behavior and can confirm the card is broken or any ideas what other factor could cause this problem, please?

I got a thermaltake 750W psu, asus p5k board and my 8800gtx works fine right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	280gtx-redlines.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	32244  
AT1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 02:20 PM   #204
wollyka
From the Land of Cedars

my guess is VRAM GDDR3 has gone bad