Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-12-08, 06:16 AM   #217
DBEST1

Default Re: Overheating and similar issues with GeForce GTX 280

Has anyone tried to over clock the BFG GTX280 OC2 ?
DBEST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 09:14 AM   #218
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I re-worked some of my cabling, moved one of my HDDs to a different bay, and added one of those PCI slot exhaust fans. Card now runs about 6-8 degrees cooler. Furmark maxes out at 90-92 degrees. Haven't tried Crysis, but it should show a corresponding decrease as well.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 05:45 PM   #219
LBJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
I re-worked some of my cabling, moved one of my HDDs to a different bay, and added one of those PCI slot exhaust fans. Card now runs about 6-8 degrees cooler. Furmark maxes out at 90-92 degrees. Haven't tried Crysis, but it should show a corresponding decrease as well.
try using the humanhead demo run it for 15mins and then see what your temps are like.

wishing for an ARM based desktop.
LBJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 10:08 PM   #220
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJM View Post
try using the humanhead demo run it for 15mins and then see what your temps are like.
Then you got another bad card. Attached image is of RivaTuner temps after 30 minutes of Human Head. Card never got above 85 for me.

saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 05:11 PM   #221
DBEST1

i am in love with this card,,i have crysis running on full spec and its jst chewing it up, glad i waited to upgrade since my 7950GT !!! truely amazing...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pA-ZgS79jys&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pA-ZgS79jys&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA-ZgS79jys
DBEST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 06:58 PM   #222
LBJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Then you got another bad card. Attached image is of RivaTuner temps after 30 minutes of Human Head. Card never got above 85 for me.

yes I know that, but I'm not doing another rma until they fix this issue or the card drops dead.

wishing for an ARM based desktop.
LBJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 06:19 PM   #223
AT1st

Hi
just wanted to update you on my fate

I sent back the asus and got a point of view in return cause the asus model was out of stock (pov is 20 cheaper and even packed with assassins creed)
Everything seems fine now. Doesn't get over ~75 in crysis even with "only" 70% fan speed.
AT1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 12:02 PM   #224
zeejay

From reading this thread it sounds like i got a Dud, My eVGA Gtx 280 SC that i just got last night, gets up to 105c within a minute or 2 in every game then starts to throttle. my 8800gtx never hits above 72 or so in the same Case.

Guess im gonna start my RMA process today .
zeejay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-08, 12:29 PM   #225
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeejay View Post
From reading this thread it sounds like i got a Dud, My eVGA Gtx 280 SC that i just got last night, gets up to 105c within a minute or 2 in every game then starts to throttle. my 8800gtx never hits above 72 or so in the same Case.

Guess im gonna start my RMA process today .

You should, it sounds like you got a bad card...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 02:19 PM   #226
zeejay

I talked to tech support and they agree i should RMA the card, so i sent my request, should have a replacement by Monday or Tuesday. I told them to test the crap out of it, i hope it works out this time around.
zeejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 03:19 PM   #227
s1kb45trd

hey guys! i have had similar problems with my brand new gtx280 (XFX extreme edition).

now initially i thought that i MUST have done something wrong: drivers, bios, memory incompatibility or sth. in that direction. but i ran a ton of tests and read through some forums and came to the conclusion that my card is overheating waaaay to easily (albeit "only" at around 80 degrees celsius).

now 80 degrees celsius is not uncommon for gpu, and the gtx280 should be able to run at those temperatures regardless of airflow and other factors. this only means that it is a BAD/FAULTY core that you are having in your gpu.

now what i've done is, i contacted XFX and basically what they said was is to check if i have the latest drivers, bios, game patch etc. installed. they also mentioned that at 80-85 degrees the cards should run normally. if the problem persisted then i should RMA it.

i've contacted the distributor next and explained to them that based on what XFX has told me, that i have a faulty card and would like to have a replacement. they quickly checked stocks and referred me back to the same reseller where i first bought the card and got a 1 to 1 replacement.

the new card now seems fine, it hasnt crashed on me YET, showing no artifacts and running crysis smoothly so far. all in all i am quite pleased, as it clearly runs a bit more cooler than the previous one (5 to 10 degrees celsius) and somehow more stable.

so in conclusion to all of you with problematic gtx280s, i can only recommend:

- to run a few tests (atitool, furmark, crysis), provided you have installed the latest drivers, bios etc. and make sure you have proper airflow as well,

- and see if the card continuously shows artifacts, tearing, glitches or crashes.

if the problem persists, then i really feel for you man, but you have no choice but to RMA that damn card. i know it sucks hard, but you paid **** loads of money for it already, and you sure as hell want it to run properly!

and to all of you who don't feel like RMA-ing it, there have been some reports of success by tweaking the fan to 100% or downclocking the card. i've tried it with my faulty card and it worked, but that is absolutely beside the point here, since ALL cards are supposed to operate without glitches at STOCK settings without me tinkering with the settings!
s1kb45trd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 03:27 PM   #228
s1kb45trd

i've had that exact same problem. played crysis for 30mins, then it started showing artifacts, tearing etc. the temp was just at about 80-85 degrees celsius, which is according to XFX normal operating temperature. the screen froze while the sound continued. i had to force restart my system.

bottom line is, these cards arent suppose to crash/overheat at those temperatures, which only means that those are bad cores you are having in there, that cant operate at those supposed normal temps.

save yourself the mental torture of having spent a **** loads of cash on a faulty card and simply RMA it. i did it, and so far my new card seems fine, so i'm happy with it.

my system:
asus p5q deluxe
4gb 1066 ocz reaper
xfx 280gtx extreme edition 640mhz
coolermaster m850w
antec nine hundred
s1kb45trd is offline   Reply With Quote