Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-21-03, 10:55 PM   #25
kurachi.m

Default mobo revision?

Hi all,

How can i know my mobo revision?

i believe my chipset revision must be C18D 'cause i can see "nForce2 Ultra 400 Support" on boot screen after i flash my bios with 7 May 2003 release...

And if my mobo revision is Rev 1.1, can i try flashing bios with 29 Jan 2003 one, without killing my mobo?

Why i am asking this is that, changing any bios setting adviced in this thread did not solve my problem...

> Emphroon,
i modified network setting as you said, but the situation got worse... X mouse cursor did not apear anymore after doing that...
but thanks anyway...

One more question to who has succeeded is, which distro are you ALL using, and which kernel version?

Thanks,
kurachi.m
kurachi.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-03, 11:18 PM   #26
hmepas

Default Re: mobo revision?

Quote:
Originally posted by kurachi.m
Hi all,

How can i know my mobo revision?

i believe my chipset revision must be C18D 'cause i can see "nForce2 Ultra 400 Support" on boot screen after i flash my bios with 7 May 2003 release...

And if my mobo revision is Rev 1.1, can i try flashing bios with 29 Jan 2003 one, without killing my mobo?
No!
hmepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-03, 12:03 AM   #27
kurachi.m

Default mobo killed?

Hi hmepas,

Your No! means you have maybe the same revision and you killed your mobo, right?

if so, i wont flash with older one. just i try tweak bios setting and re-install some rh distro...

Thanks,
kurachi.m
kurachi.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-03, 03:15 AM   #28
micha_b

I was told by Epox support Germany that the problems are known and will soon be fixed.

I'm waiting for the new BIOS ...

Greetings
Micha
micha_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-03, 09:03 AM   #29
AranC23

Default fried mobo after 1/29 flash

I tried flashing with the 1/29 version for my EP-8RDA+, and now it won't boot at all.

Of course it could have been a bad floppy disk or something else, but I have no way of knowing.

Has anyone ever ordered a new BIOS chip from Epox? I have... and as near as I can tell my order fell into a black hole. No confirmation, no tracking number, no nothing. I guess I'm supposed to just pray that they're sending me the chip as the damn mobo is plain useless until it arrives.
AranC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-03, 09:11 AM   #30
micha_b

Hi Aran.

In Germany they have a good service. I've heard from some people ordering a new chip and waiting for no longer than 1 week.

mibo
Old 05-22-03, 09:24 AM   #31
hmepas

Default Re: mobo killed?

Quote:
Originally posted by kurachi.m
Hi hmepas,

Your No! means you have maybe the same revision and you killed your mobo, right?

if so, i wont flash with older one. just i try tweak bios setting and re-install some rh distro...

Thanks,
kurachi.m
I have the same chipset (nForce 400 Ultra) and then i try to flash it with bios older than 03/05/03 my mobo is die.
hmepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-03, 12:53 AM   #32
oddbudman

Default EPOX FLASH

I could be wrong but that flash chip looks awfully similar to the ol' cheapmod xbox modchip. http://www.warmcat.com/milksop/cheapmod.html

Perhaps you can use a LPC programmer to program the flash then wack it back into the mobo?

A LPC programmer schematic design can be found here:

http://www.warmcat.com/milksop/cheapLPC.html

and the programming software here:

http://www.warmcat.com/milksop/milk.html
(Ports for both linux and windblows which is always nice)

I own a lpc programmer so I will keep you posted if and when it works (no idea how my ram will go with this mobo - installing tonight).

This may be an easy way out for a few of you so when i noticed this I thought i would mention it.

Consequently cheapmod based xbox chip sellers are everywhere so finding a guy with a LPC programmer should be relatively easy.

Anyway kids, stay out of trouble and have some fun!

Old 07-07-03, 01:51 AM   #33
mlohse

My 8RDA+ came with bios 05-03-2003 and I could neither get the x-server nor any of the usb-controllers working with Gentoo.
Since everything was running so great with Win2k and ACPI/APIC enabled, I downloaded the 2.4.21 vannilla-sources from kernel.org, applied the acpi-patch and got APIC working under linux, too.
Every device had an interrupt now, the x-server problem was solved, all three usb-controllers were detected but didn't work though. My usb-mouse didn't even got power.
Well, having one problem solved I had a new one: It took about 7 min compiling the kernel when using APM, now with the new ACPI-kernel it takes 39 min! This performance loss felt even more severe in kde: CPU usage raised up to 20% when moving the mouse.
Updating the bios to 06-11-2003 did not have any effect on linux with ACPI enabled, but I was really surprised that the X-server did no longer crash with APM. However I had to disable Firewire and IDE to get a single USB-Controller working, and to get another irq for the USB2.0-Controller I had to sacrifice the onboard-nic - doh!

My system:
Epox 8RDA+
1GB Kingston HyperX DDR333 (2x512MB)
Athlon 2500+
PNY GF4 TI 4400
3COM 3c905-TX-M
Tekram 390F (UW-SCSI)
AMI MegaRaid Express (U2W-SCSI RAID5)
SB Live 5.1 digital
WinTV Radio
mlohse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-03, 02:19 AM   #34
bahamot

i don't think u need ACPI enable in order to get USB detected.
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-03, 02:30 AM   #35
micha_b

@bahamot:

did your linux ever find all 3 USB hosts? Mine found only 2 with ACPI disabled.
lspci reported only 2 USB hosts.

Greetings
Micha
Old 07-07-03, 01:11 PM   #36
c69

Thumbs up

In my system everything (except ACPI) seems to work, including 3D:

I had to update my BIOS to the one from 09.June 2003 with http://www.epox.de/dl/techsupp/8RDA3609.zip . (I think I 've read this hint a few (3 ?) days ago in this forum. - Thanks!). With the former BIOS (from 02.04.03), when starting X, the screen went black and the system froze.

Also I had to switch off ACPI . (But this might be due to my old and obviously greedy Hauppauge wintv-pci card which could thus get irq 9 all for itself.)

My system:
- Epox EP-8RDA+ Rev. 1.1
- Athlon XP 2200+ (Tbread A)
- BIOS from 09.06.03
- Asus 7100 (gf2 mx)
- Asus UW-SCSI (symbios 8751SP)
- Hauppauge Wintv PCI Radio (bt848)
- SuSE 8.2
- NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.suse82.i586.rpm from http://www.nvidia.de/view.asp?IO=lin...ce_1.0-0261_de
just "rpm -i ...", reboot and net works; usb, fw, ... might work, can't test (nothing to plug in, yet )
- NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run from http://www.nvidia.de/view.asp?IO=lin...32_1.0-4363_de
init 2; sh ...run; vi /etc/X11/XF86Config (nv -> nvidia); init 5; (after screen goes black: count to 5 (better 10 ); glxgears; (with 5000-9000 fps)

Last edited by c69; 07-08-03 at 01:32 AM.
c69 is offline   Reply With Quote