Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-24-08, 06:49 PM   #1
Maverickman

Default Nvidia's secret weapon against ATI?

Nvidia's acquisition of Ageia received little attention a few months ago. So did the following announcement that Nvidia's GeForce 8 series and up would have support for Ageia's PhysX in an upcoming driver release. This driver release is supposedly imminent for the GTX 200 series, and the 8 and 9 series will get its driver shortly thereafter. Although few games support PhysX, it can make a dramatic difference in those that do support it. This PhysX support may make the difference for those looking at a high-end Nvidia card like the GTX 260. The ability to see particles flying all over the place causing collateral damage is a sight to behold. I've turned up the Physics in Crysis to Very High, and I can see a big difference in the explosions onscreen. If more games incorporate PhysX, it could really hurt ATI as gamers will no doubt want to have a card that takes advantage of its capabilities. In the past, you had to buy a card for $149 or more to get PhysX. Soon, all you'll need is an Nvidia card and the correct drivers. It will make more sense for developers to use PhysX, and I'm sure Nvidia will "encourage" them to do so!
16X BluRay-RW drive
Dell 30-inch U3014 monitor
Dell speakers
Maverickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 06:55 PM   #2
methimpikehoses

Default Re: Nvidia's secret weapon against ATI?

hmmm... I've heard big promises about physX before...
Old 06-24-08, 07:23 PM   #3
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Bahh, sounds like they're loosing focus... they'll probably mess things up more by trying to add this into the mix, the quad core cpu's give us enough bandwidth to do the physics on the cpu, leave it off the gpu please, just focus on giving me a really stable SLI powerhouse card please...

rh
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 07:24 PM   #4
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickman View Post
Nvidia's acquisition of Ageia received little attention a few months ago. So did the following announcement that Nvidia's GeForce 8 series and up would have support for Ageia's PhysX in an upcoming driver release. This driver release is supposedly imminent for the GTX 200 series, and the 8 and 9 series will get its driver shortly thereafter. Although few games support PhysX, it can make a dramatic difference in those that do support it. This PhysX support may make the difference for those looking at a high-end Nvidia card like the GTX 260. The ability to see particles flying all over the place causing collateral damage is a sight to behold. I've turned up the Physics in Crysis to Very High, and I can see a big difference in the explosions onscreen. If more games incorporate PhysX, it could really hurt ATI as gamers will no doubt want to have a card that takes advantage of its capabilities. In the past, you had to buy a card for $149 or more to get PhysX. Soon, all you'll need is an Nvidia card and the correct drivers. It will make more sense for developers to use PhysX, and I'm sure Nvidia will "encourage" them to do so!
Crysis doesn't utilise PhysX.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 07:35 PM   #5
Ninja Prime

So, their secret weapon is... cheating in 3dmark scores! Seems familiar... oh yeah the FX series.

Seriously, one game can actually use GPU physics and it needs special levels to do so. Even more, so far that game hasn't been very well adopted.(UT3)

Said plainly, this is cheating so they can boast higher 3dmark scores. Which doesn't even work since using the GPU in a CPU test is against Futuremarks rules and therefore the scores don't even count.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 08:11 PM   #6
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Crysis doesn't utilise PhysX.
LOL
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 08:20 PM   #7
Dreamingawake
*BANNED*

lol x2, like seriously, don't ever believe anything you read on the net.. some people
just don't know what they're talking about..
Dreamingawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 08:30 PM   #8
G-Man
i can hit the g spot

lol x3

Old 06-24-08, 09:25 PM   #9
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickman View Post
... I've turned up the Physics in Crysis to Very High, and I can see a big difference in the explosions onscreen.
Hey dude, I've got this awesome bridge I'd like to sell ya, it looks realllly cool...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 09:32 PM   #10
3DBrad

All UE3 games use Physx though, pretty much (except for Biostink and a few other titles).
Old 06-24-08, 09:34 PM   #11
Maverickman

I know that Crysis does not support PhysX, but turning up the physics setting to very high results in a dramatic improvement in explosions and damage. If your card can handle it, give it a try. We've heard about the wonders of PhysX before, but those who have seen it in action state that it can make a big difference in the gaming experience. Maybe it will turn out to be all hype and just an attempt by Nvidia to boost 3DMark Vantage scores, but I think it may turn out to signal a major shift in gaming. PhysX support was limited to those who bought the card and games that supported it. Now it will be supported in Nvidia's cards by downloading the correct drivers. Developers can include it in future games knowing that a lot of gamers will be able to use it. I'm sure that Nvidia will so all it can to ensure that this happens.
16X BluRay-RW drive
Dell 30-inch U3014 monitor
Dell speakers
Maverickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 09:51 PM   #12
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Now it's up to Nvidia to push developers to support physx in future games.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote