Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-26-08, 10:01 AM   #1
sahilmalhotra17

Default overclocking on intel mother boards.....

overclocking on intel motherboards...... something a lotta ppl have asked me..... is it possible.....? is it not...? well it is but it takes some "roll up your sleeves" dirty work.... first of all your motherboard always have a limiter pin thats held at high by a solder joint..... you can turn it to low...... risky but well.... now the limiter pin is outta the way you'll experience a lot less stability issues if you are over clocking beyond 25-30%..... i got into all this because the p690i platinum i had was damaged.... replacement was a bit** of a long time.... so i decided to get a cheap intel mobo and sell it off later on ebay..... get a utility like setfsb if you are a windows user.... or you can code your own pll hacking utility if you are a linux user..... ill be posting a tutorial for that soon...... u have to increase your bus speed (after choosing the right kind of pll from the drop down or whatever) which is set by the pll.... try to even it out at a RAM:FSB ratio of 1:1 ...... bus speed X multiplier = proc speed

for example at full load my q6600 runs at a 9 x multiplier so if i take my bus speed to something like 360 with a RAM freq of 400(that means i have an 800 MHz dual channel RAM) i get 360 X 9 =3.24Ghz at full load and 360 X 6 =2.16 ghz at idle time..... i took it to 3.6.... decided i didnt need it all the time ..... and btw im still on stock cooling..... my mobo is a dg33 fb and my pll is a sg505*****256*** . the best and the worst part.... im doing this from top of an os layer..... so if a processor gets really close to over heating..... you can just hard shut down your system..... power off the mobo completely... wait 10 secs for capacitors to drain..... turn it back on again..... you are back to default factory settings...... hence endeth the detail of my "kinda funny , but not quite there yet" experiment.... anything you need help with.... ill try and be as helpful as lerch.....
sahilmalhotra17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 10:44 AM   #2
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: overclocking on intel mother boards.....

Not trying to flame or anything dude, but when you post something like that, try to write it complete sentences from now on. It's much easier to read that way.

Also, I think most of us here can do that.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 11:46 AM   #3
sahilmalhotra17

Overclocking on intel motherboards......? Something a lotta ppl have asked me. Is it possible..? Is it not...?

Well it is but it takes some "roll up your sleeves" dirty work. First of all your motherboard always have a limiter pin thats held at high by a solder joint. You can turn it to low (risky but well....) Now that the limiter pin is outta the way you'll experience a lot less stability issues if you are over clocking beyond 25-30%.

I got into all this because the p790i platinum I had was damaged. Replacement was a bit** of a long time, so I decided to get a cheap Intel mobo and sell it off later on ebay. Get a utility like "setfsb" if you are a windows user. Or you can code your own PLL hacking utility if you are a linux user..... ill be posting a tutorial for that soon.

You have to increase your bus speed ( after choosing the right kind of PLL from the drop down or whatever ) which is set by the PLL. Try to even it out at a RAM:FSB ratio of 1:1 bus speed X multiplier = proc speed

For example at full load my q6600 runs at a 9 x multiplier so if i take my bus speed to something like 360 with a RAM freq of 400(that means i have an 800 MHz dual channel RAM) i get 360 X 9 =3.24Ghz at full load and 360 X 6 =2.16 ghz at idle time

I took it to 3.6, decided I didnt need it all the time . And btw im still on stock cooling..... my mobo is a dg33FB and my PLL is a sg505*****256*** . the best and the worst part.... im doing this from top of an operating system layer. So if a processor gets really close to over heating..... you can just hard shut down your system..... power off the mobo completely... wait 10 secs for capacitors to drain..... turn it back on again..... and you are back to default factory settings...... hence endeth the detail of my "kinda funny , but not quite there yet" experiment.... anything you need help with.... ill try and be as helpful as lerch.....

Alright now Sir.... sorry i posted the original in a hurry....
Old 06-26-08, 11:50 AM   #4
sahilmalhotra17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Not trying to flame or anything dude, but when you post something like that, try to write it complete sentences from now on. It's much easier to read that way.

Also, I think most of us here can do that.
sorry man i hope its more readable now. I know most of you can do it here but a lotta ppl had been asking me to post the steps and everything so i just did. i guess someone will find some help outta this. also your post gave me a chance to correct a typo i have a p790i not a 690i...
Old 06-26-08, 01:23 PM   #5
evox
:3

So.many.dots.
evox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 01:26 PM   #6
sahilmalhotra17

Quote:
Originally Posted by evox View Post
So.many.dots.
ive already apologized for that man . well nevermind . sorry again
Old 06-26-08, 09:08 PM   #7
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Not to mention it's in the wrong forum area! There is an overclocking area.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 11:39 PM   #8
sahilmalhotra17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippe View Post
Not to mention it's in the wrong forum area! There is an overclocking area.
sorry about that. i was posting from a unix shell lynx connection. couldnt see it how do i delete this from here and post it there?

Old 06-27-08, 01:21 AM   #9
a12ctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilmalhotra17 View Post
sorry about that. i was posting from a unix shell lynx connection. couldnt see it how do i delete this from here and post it there?
why..?
Old 06-27-08, 04:17 AM   #10
sahilmalhotra17

well people seemed to mind that i had posted in this forum when an overclocking forum exists so i said "if you would tell me i would gladly shift the thread." ... if the question was why to oc on an intel board? well a lotta people dont do a lotta research before buying their equipment and are also looking for notebook overclocking so i kinda thought why not....?
Old 06-27-08, 01:01 PM   #11
a12ctic

No, why post in a lynx? Most forums don't adjust well to lynx, so if you have this uber over clocked c2d don't you think you could type startx on your uber cool unix shell? And anyway, everyone knows ELinks is better than lynx.
Old 06-27-08, 01:24 PM   #12
Chuck Norris

:fail:
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote