Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-04-08, 05:30 PM   #25
tx2rx

Default Re: How many people blame KDE Gnome but dont realise its NVidia drivers????

Hrm, speaking of xorg.conf tricks, I have a 8600GT (passive) using the following tricks I can get reasonable performance (using 173.14.09). I also have a 6600GT AGP and a 7300GS which felt much more responsive (using xfce4 with no gimmicks)

Code:
        Option      "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" "1"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
        Option      "PixmapCacheSize" "200000"
        Option      "backingstore" "true"
Anyone have any further (improved) tricks? (Ideally it would work without tricks)

To the people saying try compiz/berl/GIMMICK-X/DESK-FAD4 etc. Last time I tried them, they were buggy, about as useful as the new firefox3-wunderbar and had a really nasty impact when trying to play games.
tx2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-08, 06:00 PM   #26
Dragoran

Default Re: How many people blame KDE Gnome but dont realise its NVidia drivers????

Quote:
Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" "1"
The nvidia drivers don't use XAA so this is useless.
Quote:
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Is already enabled by default.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-08, 06:25 PM   #27
OVERKILL8

Send a message via ICQ to OVERKILL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawels133 View Post
@OVERKILL8

Maybe you've got some 'tricks' in your xorg.conf which makes things faster?
I don't think I do?

Quote:
Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8800GTS 512"
#Option "UseEdidFreqs" "true"
#Option "UseEdidDpi" "DFP-0"
#Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
#Option "NvAGP" "3"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "HWCursor" "true"
#Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
#Option "DRI" "true"
Option "BackingStore" "true"
Option "UseCompositeWrapper" "true"
Screen 0
EndSection
I turned on CompositeWrapper recently (trying to diagnose my X freeze issue) and haven't really noticed any improvement, nor detriment to performance......
Video: ASUS GeForce 8800GTS 512MB, 16,541 3DMark '06
Case: Lian Li PC75
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 680W
Linux: Gentoo 2.6.29 x86_64
Windows: Windows XP Pro x64 for the odd game.
OVERKILL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 04:26 AM   #28
u1ik

I confirm the performance problem.

I've just installed Ubuntu on my Asus F3Sv (Core Duo 2Ghz, 8600M GS) laptop, and was amazed by slow firefox 3 perfomance on some websites (slow scrolling, 100% CPU). Then I rebooted into Vista and opened the same websites there -- firefox runs very fast and smooth.

I spent several hours in ubuntu/mozilla bugtrackers/forums trying to find out the fix. Well, it turns out the problem is in nVidia drivers (xrender?). I tried all drivers from ubuntu package manager, then manually installed 173.14.09, 117.13. No luck .

So I have to return to Vista.

@nVidia: if you don't respect your customers, you lose them. I've been buying nVidia cards since GeForce 440 MX, but my next computer will have ATI or Intel card.

Last edited by u1ik; 07-05-08 at 04:29 AM. Reason: grammar
u1ik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 04:58 AM   #29
GrantsV

Everyone is blaming Firefox3 for poor performance. I think its only in webpages with lots of graphics you can see the issue very clearly while most people arent inconvenienced by the issue dragging windows around and dont identify theres a problem.

I have tried Kazehakase and Firefox2 web browsers and the issue still remains. As you quite rightly say Firefox on Win flies!

I have installed so many distros, even the IceWM/Rox 80mb Puppy Linux and the issue is still there despite tiny resources being used.
GrantsV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 05:11 AM   #30
GrantsV

PROOF!

Heres a screenshot. This trailing happens regardless of Distro, window manager, compiz etc. This does not happen on Windows with the same machine, or on my ATI/Intel video with same distros.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badnvidia.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	32196  
Old 07-05-08, 05:12 AM   #31
GrantsV

PROOF!

Heres a screenshot. This trailing happens regardless of Distro, window manager, compiz etc. This does not happen on Windows with the same machine, or on my ATI/Intel video with same distros. The trailing takes about a full second to clear with NVidia drivers, about half that with Vesa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badnvidia.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	32197  
Old 07-05-08, 05:50 AM   #32
ollebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL8 View Post
OK, that makes sense. So the reason I didn't see this issue on my 6600 was because it was a 6-series card then? Interesting that the issue is isolated to 8xxx + series hardware from what you've said.

Somebody else mentioned that he had heard of it not happening on the 8800 as well, which prompted some curiosity on my part.

Obviously this is a real issue, but I wonder if it would not be prudent for those experiencing the performance hit to perhaps install Compiz-fusion so that at least they have a responsive desktop for the time being. It seems the general consensus is that 3D performance is stellar, so I would imagine this would at least make things "nice" for those affected by this in the interim until NVidia rectifies the issue.

I know it's not a solution, but would perhaps work as a stop-gap until resolve is found.
With compiz you get the powermizer problem (compiz can lag for a second when swithcing window for first time in a while, or when rotating), and if running on batterys disabling the powermizer will cause batterys to discharge fast. I have experinced problems when running compiz with my 8600 too, I dont know if they are caused by nvidia or compiz. Anyway I dont think it is performing as it should be able to do with compiz either. And I know it works quite well with my 6600 GT.
ollebull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-08, 11:24 AM   #33
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollebull View Post
With compiz you get the powermizer problem (compiz can lag for a second when swithcing window for first time in a while, or when rotating), and if running on batterys disabling the powermizer will cause batterys to discharge fast. I have experinced problems when running compiz with my 8600 too, I dont know if they are caused by nvidia or compiz. Anyway I dont think it is performing as it should be able to do with compiz either. And I know it works quite well with my 6600 GT.
Even with compiz you're affected by slow 2d (even more so) due to the fact that youre still creating x pixmaps which are then turned into opengl textures (using texture form pixmap extension). Now something like xgl and glitz would give you better performance because you're using opengl to draw primitives.

Using compiz (or kwin compositing) with batteries is never going to be power efficient (on the lowest power level in vista get a slight lag too when using batteries). Unfortunately even without compositing under kde4 enabling powermizer makes everything slow and laggy (3d hardware is used to accelerate xrender). needless to say this whole situation stinks.
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 04:46 PM   #34
Linuxhippy

Quote:
Now something like xgl and glitz would give you better performance because you're using opengl to draw primitives.
No, with XGL you fall back to software for most "primitives".
The thing where XGL is really good at are pixmaps, stuff that XRender really depends on.

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 08:22 AM   #35
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
No, with XGL you fall back to software for most "primitives".
The thing where XGL is really good at are pixmaps, stuff that XRender really depends on.

lg Clemens
ok I stand corrected....but it is weird how even kde4 is faster (no opengl backend as far as i'm aware) and qt uses xrender a lot...

whereas cairo has the glitz backend to use opengl to do a lot of the drawing...
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 05:05 AM   #36
ruien

Unhappy Re: How many people blame KDE Gnome but dont realise its NVidia drivers????

I confirm the performance problem.

I have FC10 preview running atm and I have never had so slow/sluggish desktop performance before. Running kernel 2.6.27.5-94.fc10.i686.PAE and Gnome 2.24. I tried different drivers but still gnome session is rubbish to work on. I work much better in LXDE session where everything is responsive and more like i'm used to from ubuntu 8.04 and slackware. Weird realy. I tried out Mepis 8 RC and I was impressed with the desktop response but i prefer gnome as my desktop. Maybe i should drop gnome until this issue is resolved...
My laptops: Toshiba G40-127, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU-T7500 @ 2.20GHz, 2x200 GB SATA, Geforce 8600M GT 512mb, Realtek HD 5.1 soundcard, 1920x1200 , 4GB RAM, Intel 4965AGN Wifi card, Fedora 10 Preview, Nvidia 177.82 - Vista Ultimate - (Vlite edition) -- Asus Eee pc900 16gb - fluxflux-eee(PClinuxOS)
ruien is offline   Reply With Quote