Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-04-08, 07:33 PM   #1
liquidat

Default Howto script nvidia-settings for an external monitor

Hello there,

I have a laptop and occasionally plug in an external monitor. In that case I want the external monitor alone, so usually I launch nvidia-settings, activate TwinView on the external screen (CRT-0), deactivate the laptop screen (DFP-0), and apply the changes.

However, it would be much nicer to have these changes done by a script. I do know that 'nvidia-settings --assign' is the way to go, but unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce the steps done in the UI. For a start, the settings TwinView is provided as a read-only option in the gui-less mode, so I cannot activate TwinView from the command line.

Is this functionality actually implemented in the command line tool? And if so, how can I do the steps (activate TwinView, afterwards deactivate the first screen)?
liquidat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 06:22 PM   #2
putin

Default Re: Howto script nvidia-settings for an external monitor

Have you tried saving the xorg.conf files from both setups then writing a shell script to switch between then and restart X? You might not need to use nvidia-settings at all.

I found this guy who looks to be doing something similar
http://notes.minty.org/cgi-bin/wiki...._Configuration
putin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 04:17 AM   #3
Thunderbird

Something like that using xorg.conf tricks is the only way possible. Nvidia-settings commandline interface is not powerfull enough to enable / disable displays and things like that.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 04:36 AM   #4
liquidat

putin, the idea was to not restart X, but to have something running fully automatically. Also, it would probably take more time than using nvidia-settings.

thunderbird, sad to hear that, but thx for the reply.
liquidat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 10:30 PM   #5
putin

Good point

I won't pretend to know much about it but I remember reading about someone using xrandr to apply changes.. maybe worth a look?
putin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 04:31 AM   #6
loswillios

yeah maybe when nvidia decides to support randr1.2 :/
loswillios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 09:11 PM   #7
nosscire

I'm in the exact same spot, and wondering if there ever was any nice solution to this.

Having to go through nvidia-settings is a bit cumbersome.

Thanks
nosscire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 04:32 AM   #8
zorglab

Actually, nvidia-settings is just an open-source front-end for nvidia's NV-CONTROL X extension. Thus, it should be possible to write a small program to take care of this task. Just have a look at the source code.

The whole point here is that much of the NV-CONTROL functionalities (at least what concerns TwinView) are now specified by the more standard RandR 1.2 extension. As NV-CONTROL seems good enough for nvidia (actually it does do its job well, it's just that it hasn't a standard interface), implementing RandR 1.2 isn't on their priority list. That's sad because developers prefer to develop tools using the standard RandR, working on more graphics cards, than the proprietary NV-CONTROL.
zorglab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-11, 11:51 AM   #9
Oleksandr

Any news on this topic. I'm using mac os x instead of debian only because of this issue. When it's connected to gdm, sleep/wake, power cord it's really pain in the butt.
Oleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 09:15 AM   #10
wsuetholz

You can do this with xorg.conf magic.. I do something a little bit different though. When I plug in the external display I want to be able to extend my desktop to it.. I can switch between a panning mode and dual displays on the fly with out having to restart X.
The trick is in the Screen section metamodes line, and the Virtual display size including both screens. I have attached my xorg.conf from an ubuntu 10.04 system. The only problem I've had is sometimes when I start the system without the external monitor attached, it doesn't let me switch to dual screen mode, it will just switch the pan mode from one display to the other. For the most part I'm happy with how it works.

BTW: the key strokes are Ctrl-Alt-KP+ or Ctrl-Alt-KP- to switch metamodes in X

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: gz xorg_conf.txt.gz (794 Bytes, 159 views)
wsuetholz is offline   Reply With Quote