Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-18-08, 06:02 AM   #133
xsolarwindx

Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Ok, this is just weird, now I decided to reinstall the latest nvidia binary drivers (just like I had before) and 2D is working just awesome. Now I tested compiz, but resizing was just as bad. But without compiz, resizing, firefox, switching tabs is great. All I'm doing different is using the candidio engine with the carbon theme.

Here's my /var/log/Xorg.0.log to prove it: http://www.paste.metafy.org/view.php....txt&language=
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 06:55 AM   #134
xsolarwindx

So here's my guide on getting good 2D performance and a snappy desktop. Please test it out and post here! This guide is also on the first post of this thread.

Code:
Update: This is what's working for me:

1. Uninstall any nvidia official drivers. If you're using an Ubuntu based distribution, follow the steps below. If you're using a more "do it yourself" distro like Arch Linux, then you should know how to remove the drivers.

1.1 Uninstall nvidia official drivers on Ubuntu based distros:    
    * Edit /etc/modules and add "nvidia" to the list.
    * Edit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common and add "nv" (without quotes) to the restricted list. It should look like this: DISABLED_MODULES="nv"

* Run the following commands to clean up your distro of any nvidia residue:
    $ sudo envy --uninstall-all 
    $ sudo dpkg -P envy 
    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    $ sudo rm /lib/restricted-modules/.nvidia*
    $ sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall

* Backup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

2. Remove xorg.conf and install binary drivers.
    * Run the following to remove your old xorg.conf so the nvidia setup can make you a new one.
    $ sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    * Switch to a terminal (CTRL + ALT + F5 or something) and stop GDM or whatever you use (this will also stop X):
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    * The next step will instal the drivers. Just answer yes to all questions and you'll be fine.
    $ sudo sh <the latest nvidia installer that you downloaded from the nvidia website>

3. Improve performance:
    * Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add the following line to the "Device" section:
    Option "PixmapCacheSize" "300000"
    * For reference, my xorg.conf looks like this: http://www.paste.metafy.org/view.php?file=vegutasuzYzy.txt&language=
    * Now put the following in a script: http://www.paste.metafy.org/view.php?file=amUgAnadYhEr.txt&language=
    * Run it everytime your windw manage starts. (You can put it in your Gnome startup through the session manager - just make sure to chmod +x the script.)
    * Now this is where the performance really improved for me: I was fooling around and used the "Carbon" theme (Candido engine) that came with my Linux Mint installation. So download the Candido gtk2 engine, download the following themes and put them in your ~/.themes directory.
    * Download slightly modified Carbon theme and the Elyssa theme: http://www.mediafire.com/?1kt32wexdgm
    * In your appearance settings, select "Carbon" to be the theme for controls and "Elyssa" to be the Metacity theme.

4. Test:
    * Fool around, resize windows (make sure reduced_resources is OFF in gconf-editor, so that dragging/resizing is opaque and not in wireframe mode). Test firefox scrolling, resizing, whatever. Post on this thread and share your experience.
    * Note that with compiz-fusion on, resizing is still poor, but when compiz-fusion is off, everything seems to be snappy.
I think it's the Candido engine that's really improving performance.
Old 07-18-08, 07:33 AM   #135
Sarev

sadly this trick is for gnome-users only :-(
Sarev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 07:36 AM   #136
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarev View Post
sadly this trick is for gnome-users only :-(
Ok, try commenting out the glx module in xorg.conf and restart x. See if that helps.
Old 07-18-08, 07:43 AM   #137
xsolarwindx

Update: Doesn't improve Firefox scrolling. Just try scrolling this page: http://www.holytaco.com/2008/07/17/i...-a-comic-book/
Old 07-18-08, 07:47 AM   #138
Fackamato
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsolarwindx View Post
Update: Doesn't improve Firefox scrolling. Just try scrolling this page: http://www.holytaco.com/2008/07/17/i...-a-comic-book/
That's like 15fps in windows for me (intel card).
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 08:11 AM   #139
Sarev

Quote:
Ok, try commenting out the glx module in xorg.conf and restart x. See if that helps.
tried just now. Didn't noticed any difference in resizing, reducing, etc. I'm now on KDE 4.1 RC1 on kubuntu 8.04. Please nVidia, i want use kde4, fix this...

Quote:
very poor here too
Sarev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 08:15 AM   #140
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato View Post
That's like 15fps in windows for me (intel card).
That's about 1 FPS for me. I'm not exaggerating.

Old 07-18-08, 08:16 AM   #141
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarev View Post
tried just now. Didn't noticed any difference in resizing, reducing, etc. Please nVidia, i want use kde4, fix this...
Are you using KDE4 now? Try the nv driver. In your xorg.conf, comment out glx and put "nv" as driver instead of "nvidia". See if that helps. Make sure you have the xf86 nv driver installed first though.
Old 07-18-08, 09:46 AM   #142
txf

Quote:
Are you using KDE4 now? Try the nv driver. In your xorg.conf, comment out glx and put "nv" as driver instead of "nvidia". See if that helps. Make sure you have the xf86 nv driver installed first though.
Though not particularly helpful if you want to watch videos, use 3d or even use flash... plus with nv I get horrible tearing when scrolling and some nasty colour banding on images...

but it is faster for everything else
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 09:49 AM   #143
johnm1019

glad to see this issue getting highlighted. I have an 8600GTS which about a year ago used to scream 2D and 3D. My game of choice is TF2 but testing others revealed similar behavior. At first I thought it was a WINE issue, but given the other desktop performance issues and all this uproar I feel a little better about it being an NVIDIA issue.

I'm running Gentoo, Nvidia 177.13, gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r6, wine-1.1.0, mobo is Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless with latest bios.

If they could fix this so I can actually play games at ANY resolution I'd love it.
Firefox scrolling and compiz window re-sizing would really just be icing on the cake at this point.
johnm1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 11:47 AM   #144
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1019 View Post
glad to see this issue getting highlighted. I have an 8600GTS which about a year ago used to scream 2D and 3D. My game of choice is TF2 but testing others revealed similar behavior. At first I thought it was a WINE issue, but given the other desktop performance issues and all this uproar I feel a little better about it being an NVIDIA issue.

I'm running Gentoo, Nvidia 177.13, gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r6, wine-1.1.0, mobo is Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless with latest bios.

If they could fix this so I can actually play games at ANY resolution I'd love it.
Firefox scrolling and compiz window re-sizing would really just be icing on the cake at this point.
As far as I know, 3D support on Linux is already excellent.