Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-26-08, 09:25 AM   #229
redmary

Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

i am already sick of nvidia driver support, first, the issue that the fn-brightness keys do not work on modern notebooks, and second this horrible 2d performance, that it takes about 5 secs. to resize a window in kde 4.1 rc1 on geforce 8600m

shame...
redmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 10:43 AM   #230
Sarev

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmary View Post
i am already sick of nvidia driver support, first, the issue that the fn-brightness keys do not work on modern notebooks, and second this horrible 2d performance, that it takes about 5 secs. to resize a window in kde 4.1 rc1 on geforce 8600m

shame...
Just trying to cheer you (and me) up...
You can be a little bit optimistic, and think that next time you'll buy a notebook you'll not need to worry about the video card that you want to buy; or,you can be more than a bit optimistic, and think that this story will push nvidia a step forward to the release of their cards spec...
Sarev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 05:02 PM   #231
cmsandrigo

I have the nvidia GeForce 8600M GT on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop. I'm a KDE user and is simply imposible to use the last release KDE 4. The performance is really poor with the official driver. With "nv" driver work so much better, but it don't have support for 3d acceleration, PowerMizer and temperature monitor. Firefox 3 runs really slow too. The 8000 series have a serious temperature problem as well.
Come on nvidia people, don't disappoint the users and get work on this issues.
Sorry for my bad english. Greetings from Argentina.
cmsandrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 07:05 PM   #232
solidsnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsolarwindx View Post
Anyone care to submit this article to digg? Who has a lot of friends to shout to?

I don't build myself a friend base so me submitting it would be a waste. If you can think of a catchy title and submit it and shout it to all your friends, that would be really good. I'll digg it and I'm sure everyone here will digg it if they have a digg account.
I would if I could but I doubt it would get anywhere near the front page. This situation reminds me of the Foxconn bios situation that just recently got a lot of attention on digg.
solidsnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 07:25 PM   #233
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnak View Post
I would if I could but I doubt it would get anywhere near the front page. This situation reminds me of the Foxconn bios situation that just recently got a lot of attention on digg.
That's exactly why I mentioned it. It has a possibility if it gets enough diggs.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 12:34 AM   #234
solidsnak

I have been checking this thread nearly three times a day now just hoping for a nVidia representative tell us that they will have a fix soon or someone to find some miraculous solution to the poor 2d performance issue. If you are out there listening to us nVidia, please, please respond.

And on another note my card is an 8600m GT and something odd I noticed in nvidia-settings once (in Archlinux) is that it said my card had 512mb of memory when it should only be 256mb I believe.
solidsnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 02:07 AM   #235
ledoc

Quote:
I have been checking this thread nearly three times a day now just hoping for a nVidia representative tell us that they will have a fix soon or someone to find some miraculous solution to the poor 2d performance issue.
We all are...

Quote:
And on another note my card is an 8600m GT and something odd I noticed in nvidia-settings once (in Archlinux) is that it said my card had 512mb of memory when it should only be 256mb I believe.
There is another thread about that. It allocates (and thus counts) some system memory (or something like that).
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 07:54 AM   #236
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
I have been checking this thread nearly three times a day now just hoping for a nVidia representative tell us that they will have a fix soon or someone to find some miraculous solution to the poor 2d performance issue. If you are out there listening to us nVidia, please, please respond.
They already did, obviously you are not checking this thread enough.
(Well, it is way back now, as this thread gets lots of new posts. But the things said back then still are the official answer. Short: They know about it, there are already improvements (IPP), and there will be more in future driver releases.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-08, 11:49 AM   #237
Sarev

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsandrigo View Post
I have the nvidia GeForce 8600M GT on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop. I'm a KDE user and is simply imposible to use the last release KDE 4. The performance is really poor with the official driver. With "nv" driver work so much better, but it don't have support for 3d acceleration, PowerMizer and temperature monitor. Firefox 3 runs really slow too. The 8000 series have a serious temperature problem as well.
Which distro are you using? I have a Dell with a 8600M GT too and i've seen a performance improvement after switching from kubuntu 8.4 to opensuse 11 (keeping the 177 beta driver). There are problems with opensuse too, but at least I can use my KDE 4 session as the default session.

It seems to me that in kubuntu 8.4 KDE 4.1 beta 1, 2 and RC1 are not well optimized and that the lack of optimization sums up with the nvidia problem given a very unusable desktop.

Bye
Sarev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 11:58 AM   #238
xsolarwindx

If you read the first post very carefully, I already mentioned things that will dramatically improve performance:

Run: nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1 every time your window manager starts.

Put the following in the device section in your xorg.conf:
Option "PixmapCacheSize" "300000"
Option "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "True"

You MUSTTTTTT be using the latest 177 beta drivers.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 01:10 PM   #239
txf

One thing I will add to the discussion is that for kde4 you should disable any Qt or kdelibs debug or dev packages while you're intending to use the computer normally enable them just to report bugs or compile from source (annoying I know)...

This is on kubuntu btw. On suse it was slightly faster (but it had other annoyances I couldn't stand).
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 01:36 PM   #240
NoData

I read this forum since a while now, but today i decided to register and add a comment because I'm affected too by the really bad performance of my 8800 GTS cards. First post.

Well, I'm affected by this to a point that i mostly don't boot on my Linux partition anymore. I have read a lot around since i got my cards. First, i though it was Compiz fault, but clearly, only GF8-9 user are affected... I have an old P4B aside with a GF5 and the 2D performance is simply outstanding again my recent config. My recent desktop always stutter, and resizing any windows is really painful. All the workaround posted here help a lot, but my old GF5 is clearly faster and stuttering free compared to my recents cards.

I really hope the release of KDE 4.1 will change things. Don't leave the nvidia fans in the dark, or you could loose a lot NV. It's simple; Linux user are, most of the time, really experienced. They represent maybe the minority, but a powerful one that influence ppl around them when its time to buy a card. An ATI card maybe?
NoData is offline   Reply With Quote