Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-27-08, 07:14 PM   #241
xorbe
Unbuffered User

Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Are the Quadro products based on 8/9/gt200 affected by this?
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 07:28 PM   #242
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsolarwindx View Post
If you read the first post very carefully, I already mentioned things that will dramatically improve performance:

Run: nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1 every time your window manager starts.

Put the following in the device section in your xorg.conf:
Option "PixmapCacheSize" "300000"
Option "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "True"

You MUSTTTTTT be using the latest 177 beta drivers.
I should mention that these settings work best for me on 173 series...tried out 177 and it was hideously slow, i.e pre 173 slow on kde 4.1. So I would say that maybe people should try both and see which one is faster for them personally
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 07:33 PM   #243
xsolarwindx

http://techbase.kde.org/User:Lemma/GPU-Performance
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 10:58 PM   #244
galeki

I have a 8600GTS card, suffering almost all the problems mentioned above.

After add Option "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "True" in my xorg.conf, my firefox scrolling improve a lot, thanks

Hope nvidia fix it.
galeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 12:37 AM   #245
ledoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Are the Quadro products based on 8/9/gt200 affected by this?
Mine is.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 09:53 AM   #246
funkyou

Well, using a 7600GT and KDE4 is dog slow here... Especially the redrawing of windows and scrolling in konsole (and other apps) for example...

Here is a simple test:

1 - Open Konsole
2 - Run "ls -laR"
3 - Let it run for some seconds, then stop it
4 - Scroll up and down in konsole
5 - Check CPU usage while scrolling, the "X" process goes up to 100% on my machine

As this works in KDE3 and all other apps, i am not sure if i should blame X.org or the nVidia drivers, but i suspect the drivers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
KDE4 does a few things differently that trigger frequent software fallbacks in the driver. We're working to accelerate these cases.
I am really looking forward to that...

Guys, you have seen Qt4/KDE4 coming for years now, and i still wonder why you havent tried to fix that stuff until now...
funkyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 10:58 AM   #247
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyou View Post

As this works in KDE3 and all other apps, i am not sure if i should blame X.org or the nVidia drivers, but i suspect the drivers...
AFAIK KDE4 runs very smooth on Intel and AMD/Ati cards.

Quote:
I am really looking forward to that...
Some people probably said the same more than half year ago .

Quote:
Guys, you have seen Qt4/KDE4 coming for years now, and i still wonder why you havent tried to fix that stuff until now...
That's nothing. They missed Firefox too
Old 07-28-08, 01:36 PM   #248
pieterjk

Hi all,

I was wandering around, looking for solutions to speed up flash. Came here, read things and start screwing around a bit...

I reinstalled the 173 driver from scratch. Suddenly flash sped up big time. Starting to feel happy, I enabled compiz and things became sluggish, flash crawled again. Quickly disabled compiz.... but crawling stayed.

Then, to make sure I wasn't making things up, I reinit to 3, installed the 173 driver from scratch, *did not enable compiz* and ... voila, flash flew again....!

I'm not able to dive deeper into this, but perhaps this might shed some light on a solution for the insiders...

Just my 2c,
--
Pieter
pieterjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-08, 01:38 PM   #249
energyman76b

so - is AMD faster or not? Could somebody with both AMD and a 8XXX card says something about this?
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 05:10 PM   #250
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b View Post
so - is AMD faster or not? Could somebody with both AMD and a 8XXX card says something about this?
maybe check this ? and seeing as you're interested in mostly 2d check the gtkperf... not flying by any means but certainly a lot faster.

p.s. and this too
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 05:25 PM   #251
energyman76b

since I am only using firefox as a gtk app gtkperf is not so important but...

I have used nvidia from gf2mx400 to my 8600GT - and in a couple of hours I will buy a 3650/3850/3870 (I am not sure how much I really want to spend). Kind of sad... Nvidia always worked well for me. But KDE 4.1 is really unbearable... and even 3.5 has its weak moments (if you look for them).
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 08:01 PM   #252
gorgonous

Thumbs down Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Add another to the list of dissatisfied customers in relation this problem.

I was an early purchaser of the 9600GT. I have a 24" LCD as my primary monitor, and I wanted to improve my 3D performance for when I occasionally play games. I waited patiently for a stable driver to come out. When it finally did, I was rewarded with an excellent 3D boost, but abysmal 2D in day to day work.

I do contract software/web development and I spend a lot of time switching between windows, tabs, etc. These tasks have become painful to say the least. Being able to watch windows repaint themselves is incredibly distracting and interrupts my workflow. I was forced to install the Flashblock add-on because pages such as this one with Flash advertisements would chew up 50-100% CPU time and bring Firefox to its knees.

Also add me to the list of people that used to never give second thought to the video chipset manufacturer when choosing a video card to use under Linux. Even though NV provided closed drivers, in the beginning it was very exciting to see a major multimedia player embrace the Linux community and offer a workable solution. However, over time dealing with recompiles with every kernel update, bugs hidden in a binary blob that the community can't tend to, and now this 2D issue has really squelched the enthusiasm.

gtkperf might be a synthetic benchmark, but it does have a strong indication to the 2D capabilities of a Linux system. My score is currently 26.69 seconds with a 9600GT and an AMD X2 5600+. According to the numbers in Phoronix's analysis of the new ATI 4850 chipset, I could go buy a 4850 card and nearly double my 2D performance. An excerpt from their 4850 summary:

Quote:
In the 2D GTK tests, the Radeon HD 4850 was dramatically faster than the GeForce 8800GT and 9800GTX. However, NVIDIA has known problems with 2D Linux performance.
NV has put me an many others in a poor situation. We have three choices: poor 2D in exchange for decent 3D, downgrade to an old card with previous gen 3D but decent 2D, or take our money to the competition that has both decent 2D and 3D and open drivers to boot.

I appreciate the position that NV is in. They have to keep Windows, Apple and Linux users happy, their company profitable, their resources focused on the customer bases that help their company stay afloat, and abide by managements' wishes to keep their hardware specifications under lock and key. It's quite the delicate balance for sure. But as a paying customer, I not only desire, I need a solution that works. At the end of the day I have to commit my dollars to the company that can provide me with that solution.

Right now that company is not NVIDIA. If a fellow Linux user asks me for advice on which new video card to choose, I will say without hesitation not NVIDIA. I am also strongly contemplating the purchase of a new ATI card and the sale of my used 9600GT. I see no other alternatives that don't involve going backwards a couple generations.

</rant>

Last edited by gorgonous; 07-28-08 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Obsessing over grammar. :P
gorgonous is offline   Reply With Quote