Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-08, 02:44 PM   #481
jcornwall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 120
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
So the bug doesn't occur in firefox 2? That would be why I don't see it. Now I don't have a good reason to switch to FF 3, as I agree with my distribution here: not stable yet.
I haven't tested it but I didn't have that problem before Ubuntu Hardy, which brought FF3 with it, so I suspect that's the case.
Quote:
Strange, as an example my gtkperf results only differ slightly between with compiz or without.

As I said to pawels allready: it seems to me that this (of course existing) problem depends also on other things than just nvidia.
Well, for example if I switch Compiz off then the multi-second delays in Evince and Firefox vanish. The window system as a whole feels much snappier. About the only problem that doesn't go away is slow fullscreen playback in some Flash applications.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 05:34 PM   #482
txf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 272
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
This leads to nothing ... we (and nvidia) know that there are problems and they said that they are working on fixing them. The flamewar here wont speed up anything, and it does not help the people who have the problems.

I suggest to close the thread and go on with life....
Although I would say that this thread prevents others from showing up and creating new threads saying kde is slow or firefox is laggy. There were a ton of those before this thread came up and now there is only this thread (barring a few exceptions).
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 11:54 PM   #483
solidsnak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

I just read an interesting article about OpenGL 3.0 coming out soon. Currently I think beta drivers that implement OpenGL 3 are only available for windows. Maybe Nvidia is holding out on the drivers for this reason. So our fixes might come packaged with the OpenGL 3.0 supporting drivers......i guess
solidsnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 02:08 AM   #484
lockheed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
As far as I can see we are both using the same distribution (gentoo), and knowing that there are other packaging issues in other distributions (libwfb in Ubuntu, as an example) lets me think, as said over and over again in this thread, as there are multiple reasons for those problems.
Fuchs
Yeah, they're maybe some packaging issues, but real problems are nvidia drivers. I tried many distros already and nvidia sucks on all of them.
lockheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 08:06 AM   #485
Linuxhippy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 585
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheed View Post
Yeah, they're maybe some packaging issues, but real problems are nvidia drivers. I tried many distros already and nvidia sucks on all of them.
As far as I understand, "packaging issues" means that enhancements are already done but not included in currently distributed drivers.

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 11:40 AM   #486
pawels133
Registered User
 
pawels133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 201
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by txf View Post
Although I would say that this thread prevents others from showing up and creating new threads saying kde is slow or firefox is laggy. There were a ton of those before this thread came up and now there is only this thread (barring a few exceptions).
Exactly. Nvidia fanboys (or employers, because who from normal users sits on this forum all the time and repeats that nvidia is the best... oh, and nv in nick is very meaningful) just want to divert attention from nvidia.
__________________
Not everybody can smoke and drink... xd
pawels133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 02:47 PM   #487
Linuxhippy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 585
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawels133 View Post
Exactly. Nvidia fanboys (or employers, because who from normal users sits on this forum all the time and repeats that nvidia is the best... oh, and nv in nick is very meaningful) just want to divert attention from nvidia.
Please, stop this. Both sides.
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 03:01 PM   #488
pawels133
Registered User
 
pawels133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 201
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnak View Post
I just read an interesting article about OpenGL 3.0 coming out soon. Currently I think beta drivers that implement OpenGL 3 are only available for windows. Maybe Nvidia is holding out on the drivers for this reason. So our fixes might come packaged with the OpenGL 3.0 supporting drivers......i guess
Did you read this article:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjY2MA
?

@Linuxhippy

As you wish.
__________________
Not everybody can smoke and drink... xd
pawels133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-08, 06:33 PM   #489
ledoc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 330
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawels133 View Post
Exactly. Nvidia fanboys (or employers, because who from normal users sits on this forum all the time and repeats that nvidia is the best... oh, and nv in nick is very meaningful) just want to divert attention from nvidia.
I don't think it's fair to compare fanboys and the nvidia employees here or to suggest the fanboys are nvidia staff.
Fanboys are just fanboys (yes, the one with nv in the name is our fav) but the nvidia guys are doing a good job given the circumstances. They ack the problems and I never read them saying "nvidia is the best". I'm sure they are unsatisfied with the current situation as well and do what they can to improve it (that does not let nvidia as a whole of the hook though!).
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 08:09 PM   #490
xsolarwindx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 135
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare fanboys and the nvidia employees here or to suggest the fanboys are nvidia staff.
Fanboys are just fanboys (yes, the one with nv in the name is our fav) but the nvidia guys are doing a good job given the circumstances. They ack the problems and I never read them saying "nvidia is the best". I'm sure they are unsatisfied with the current situation as well and do what they can to improve it (that does not let nvidia as a whole of the hook though!).
I agree. I just wish they would put a little more effort though. In the end it's nvidia's fault for all this, not the individual employees.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 11:46 PM   #491
MamiyaOtaru
Registered User
 
MamiyaOtaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 45
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran
This leads to nothing ... we (and nvidia) know that there are problems and they said that they are working on fixing them. The flamewar here wont speed up anything, and it does not help the people who have the problems.

I suggest to close the thread and go on with life....
Quote:
Originally Posted by txf View Post
Although I would say that this thread prevents others from showing up and creating new threads saying kde is slow or firefox is laggy. There were a ton of those before this thread came up and now there is only this thread (barring a few exceptions).
Also, this thread is a good place to check to see if it has been fixed yet. If people who have been complaining of problems are in here saying it's fixed, I'm inclined to believe it. Leave it open, so we can hopefully someday see people saying it's fixed.
MamiyaOtaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 07:58 AM   #492
NvFuchs
Registered Fox
 
NvFuchs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Confoederatio Helvetica
Posts: 530
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_177.67.html

some problems according to release announcement fixed.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nvidia GeForce 301.42 WHQL drivers DSC NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers 5 05-29-12 10:12 PM
NVIDIA Unleashes the GeForce GTX 670 Graphics Card ' Performance Perfected (WCCFTECH) News GeForce GTX 670 Reviews 0 05-10-12 08:40 AM
My UT2003 Tweak Guide DXnfiniteFX Gaming Central 48 10-30-02 11:59 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.