Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-17-08, 02:44 PM   #481
jcornwall

Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
So the bug doesn't occur in firefox 2? That would be why I don't see it. Now I don't have a good reason to switch to FF 3, as I agree with my distribution here: not stable yet.
I haven't tested it but I didn't have that problem before Ubuntu Hardy, which brought FF3 with it, so I suspect that's the case.
Quote:
Strange, as an example my gtkperf results only differ slightly between with compiz or without.

As I said to pawels allready: it seems to me that this (of course existing) problem depends also on other things than just nvidia.
Well, for example if I switch Compiz off then the multi-second delays in Evince and Firefox vanish. The window system as a whole feels much snappier. About the only problem that doesn't go away is slow fullscreen playback in some Flash applications.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 05:34 PM   #482
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
This leads to nothing ... we (and nvidia) know that there are problems and they said that they are working on fixing them. The flamewar here wont speed up anything, and it does not help the people who have the problems.

I suggest to close the thread and go on with life....
Although I would say that this thread prevents others from showing up and creating new threads saying kde is slow or firefox is laggy. There were a ton of those before this thread came up and now there is only this thread (barring a few exceptions).
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 11:54 PM   #483
solidsnak

I just read an interesting article about OpenGL 3.0 coming out soon. Currently I think beta drivers that implement OpenGL 3 are only available for windows. Maybe Nvidia is holding out on the drivers for this reason. So our fixes might come packaged with the OpenGL 3.0 supporting drivers......i guess
solidsnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 02:08 AM   #484
lockheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
As far as I can see we are both using the same distribution (gentoo), and knowing that there are other packaging issues in other distributions (libwfb in Ubuntu, as an example) lets me think, as said over and over again in this thread, as there are multiple reasons for those problems.
Fuchs
Yeah, they're maybe some packaging issues, but real problems are nvidia drivers. I tried many distros already and nvidia sucks on all of them.
lockheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 08:06 AM   #485
Linuxhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheed View Post
Yeah, they're maybe some packaging issues, but real problems are nvidia drivers. I tried many distros already and nvidia sucks on all of them.
As far as I understand, "packaging issues" means that enhancements are already done but not included in currently distributed drivers.

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 11:40 AM   #486
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by txf View Post
Although I would say that this thread prevents others from showing up and creating new threads saying kde is slow or firefox is laggy. There were a ton of those before this thread came up and now there is only this thread (barring a few exceptions).
Exactly. Nvidia fanboys (or employers, because who from normal users sits on this forum all the time and repeats that nvidia is the best... oh, and nv in nick is very meaningful) just want to divert attention from nvidia.
Old 08-18-08, 02:47 PM   #487
Linuxhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawels133 View Post
Exactly. Nvidia fanboys (or employers, because who from normal users sits on this forum all the time and repeats that nvidia is the best... oh, and nv in nick is very meaningful) just want to divert attention from nvidia.
Please, stop this. Both sides.
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 03:01 PM   #488
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnak View Post
I just read an interesting article about OpenGL 3.0 coming out soon. Currently I think beta drivers that implement OpenGL 3 are only available for windows. Maybe Nvidia is holding out on the drivers for this reason. So our fixes might come packaged with the OpenGL 3.0 supporting drivers......i guess
Did you read this article:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjY2MA
?

@Linuxhippy

As you wish.

Old 08-18-08, 06:33 PM   #489
ledoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawels133 View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare fanboys and the nvidia employees here or to suggest the fanboys are nvidia staff.
Fanboys are just fanboys (yes, the one with nv in the name is our fav) but the nvidia guys are doing a good job given the circumstances. They ack the problems and I never read them saying "nvidia is the best". I'm sure they are unsatisfied with the current situation as well and do what they can to improve it (that does not let nvidia as a whole of the hook though!).
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 08:09 PM   #490
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare fanboys and the nvidia employees here or to suggest the fanboys are nvidia staff.
Fanboys are just fanboys (yes, the one with nv in the name is our fav) but the nvidia guys are doing a good job given the circumstances. They ack the problems and I never read them saying "nvidia is the best". I'm sure they are unsatisfied with the current situation as well and do what they can to improve it (that does not let nvidia as a whole of the hook though!).
I agree. I just wish they would put a little more effort though. In the end it's nvidia's fault for all this, not the individual employees.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 11:46 PM   #491
MamiyaOtaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran
This leads to nothing ... we (and nvidia) know that there are problems and they said that they are working on fixing them. The flamewar here wont speed up anything, and it does not help the people who have the problems.

I suggest to close the thread and go on with life....
Quote:
Originally Posted by txf View Post
Also, this thread is a good place to check to see if it has been fixed yet. If people who have been complaining of problems are in here saying it's fixed, I'm inclined to believe it. Leave it open, so we can hopefully someday see people saying it's fixed.
MamiyaOtaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 07:58 AM   #492
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_177.67.html

some problems according to release announcement fixed.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote