Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-08, 10:48 PM   #613
MilkToastHoney
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 38
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
Except nvidia 8xxx users. It's the only way to get an overall good and consistent 'user experience'.
Lets hope the drivers will be ok before XGL really stops working.
I agree with ledoc. I own 8400GS, and currently using XGL for compiz. It's very smooth, it's never lag or stuttering whatsoever (the only drawback is, I can't get the blur effect to work with XGL, btw, anyone knows the workaround?).
Switching XGL off, makes compiz looks like a joke, that's with latest beta driver (177.70) and applied the so-called "official tweaks".

I really hope NVidia fix this issue, IMO, the 177.70 drivers still have some major performance issue for 8xxx series. It's been a year for me now .
MilkToastHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 12:51 AM   #614
Fackamato
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 366
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkToastHoney View Post
I agree with ledoc. I own 8400GS, and currently using XGL for compiz. It's very smooth, it's never lag or stuttering whatsoever (the only drawback is, I can't get the blur effect to work with XGL, btw, anyone knows the workaround?).
Switching XGL off, makes compiz looks like a joke, that's with latest beta driver (177.70) and applied the so-called "official tweaks".

I really hope NVidia fix this issue, IMO, the 177.70 drivers still have some major performance issue for 8xxx series. It's been a year for me now .

Sorry, your information does not help anyone in this case. I'm not using XGL, and my Compiz works flawless except from gfx corruption on some text & the title bars (8600M GT, 177.70, official tweaks). I have already sent a bug report to NVIDIA via email, haven't got a reply yet though.
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 01:35 AM   #615
MilkToastHoney
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 38
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato View Post
Sorry, your information does not help anyone in this case. I'm not using XGL, and my Compiz works flawless except from gfx corruption on some text & the title bars (8600M GT, 177.70, official tweaks). I have already sent a bug report to NVIDIA via email, haven't got a reply yet though.
Sorry, I didn't meant to be so blurry.
What I meant by "looks like a joke":
- Compiz effect are stuttering (although not happened so often as before the 177.* drivers).
- 2D Performance (without compiz) is stuttering, I can see the window drawing it self.
- Resizing window with compiz very slow.

In addition, using IPP=1 or IPP=2, makes compiz very unusable, icons drawing is very very slow. But using IPP=3, makes my compiz a little bit usable, although not as smooth as XGL. I forget what the IPP=0 gives me.

The problems are described in my thread: (a year old thread now ;p)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96778

I haven't sent the bug report of this issue yet (for the new driver 177.70).
The point I posted my previous post, to say that, there are users that still using XGL.
MilkToastHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 04:09 AM   #616
lacrimstein
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 25
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

I have an XPS M1530 with the 8600MGT as well, and for me compiz works decently, although there is momentary stutter after inactivity because of powermizer.
2D is definetely usable, but visually unattractive due to lots of tearing.
Firefox still lags on some flash-heavy sites (improved over previous drivers, though), but that is probably because adobe makes crappy flash player for linux and I run 64-bit
Same thing with XGL as with 2D, lots of tearing (it doesn't seem to use vsync)
I'm using the latest 177.70 driver.
lacrimstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 12:58 PM   #617
ledoc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 330
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrimstein View Post
I have an XPS M1530 with the 8600MGT as well, and for me compiz works decently, although there is momentary stutter after inactivity because of powermizer.
I have exactly the same problem (quite the same GPU) with Xorg alone. I find that so annoying (especially when switching workspaces) that it's a no-go for me. This does not happen with XGL. I have the impression that with XGL some of the stuff is done by the CPU right away without waking up the GPU with its screwed up power management?!
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 10:22 PM   #618
lacrimstein
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 25
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

@ledoc:
No, with XGL absolutely everything is rendered with the GPU - thats why there is no stutter: The GPU is rendering OpenGL all the time, so powermizer does not kick in after a period of inactivity
lacrimstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 02:43 PM   #619
xsolarwindx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 135
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

How well does AIGLX perform?
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 12:52 PM   #620
xorbe
Unbuffered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

I upgraded my machine to kde 4.1.1 a couple days ago, and finally got kernel 2.6.27 to install yesterday, plus nvidia 177.70 beta. Machine is 2.8ghz a64, dual channel 2gb ddr500, 7800gs agp 256mb.

Driver nv, everything works okay (obviously desktop effects are off) resizing, scrolling.
Driver vesa, works okay (again no desktop effects) but it won't give me the native resolution of my LCD.

After installing nvidia driver, everything was smoother (with desktop effects on), but resizing was awful effects on or off. I remembered there was some config changes (though I used pixmap 4000000), so I added those 2 lines to xorg.conf, restarted and tried the nvidia-settings command. Wow, it seems everything is pretty good! Cool stuff.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-08, 02:41 PM   #621
xsolarwindx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 135
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
I upgraded my machine to kde 4.1.1 a couple days ago, and finally got kernel 2.6.27 to install yesterday, plus nvidia 177.70 beta. Machine is 2.8ghz a64, dual channel 2gb ddr500, 7800gs agp 256mb.

Driver nv, everything works okay (obviously desktop effects are off) resizing, scrolling.
Driver vesa, works okay (again no desktop effects) but it won't give me the native resolution of my LCD.

After installing nvidia driver, everything was smoother (with desktop effects on), but resizing was awful effects on or off. I remembered there was some config changes (though I used pixmap 4000000), so I added those 2 lines to xorg.conf, restarted and tried the nvidia-settings command. Wow, it seems everything is pretty good! Cool stuff.
Read the first post, I've compiled a list of things you need to do to make it work better.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 03:05 PM   #622
xorbe
Unbuffered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsolarwindx View Post
Read the first post, I've compiled a list of things you need to do to make it work better.
I think you didn't read my post. My setup is working great!

btw, your tips don't quite agree with nvidia's -- your post lists:
Option "PixmapCacheSize" "200,000"
But they recommend "1,000,000" (I put commas in there to make the difference clear.)

I used 4000000 myself. (2x number of pixels of my 1600x1200 screen)
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 03:16 PM   #623
xsolarwindx
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 135
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
I think you didn't read my post. My setup is working great!

btw, your tips don't quite agree with nvidia's -- your post lists:
Option "PixmapCacheSize" "200,000"
But they recommend "1,000,000" (I put commas in there to make the difference clear.)

I used 4000000 myself. (2x number of pixels of my 1600x1200 screen)
Whatever, didn't change that.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 03:19 PM   #624
xorbe
Unbuffered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

What? I'm saying that the official sticky:
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118088
Says:
- add these options to your X.Org configuration file:
Code:
    Option "PixmapCacheSize" "1000000"
    Option "AllowSHMPixmaps" "0"
And the first post in this thread says "200000" and to use shared memory -- which isn't actually happening according to nvidia's post (shared pixmaps are disallowed with that option)...
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nvidia GeForce 301.42 WHQL drivers DSC NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers 5 05-29-12 10:12 PM
NVIDIA Unleashes the GeForce GTX 670 Graphics Card ' Performance Perfected (WCCFTECH) News GeForce GTX 670 Reviews 0 05-10-12 08:40 AM
My UT2003 Tweak Guide DXnfiniteFX Gaming Central 48 10-30-02 11:59 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.