Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-10-08, 08:50 AM   #73
xsolarwindx

Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrox View Post
installed the 173.14.09 driver via envy last night and still no joy with my pc, with visual effect on with compiz... I still freeze, even got my XP to freeze while doing a stress test with the nvidia ntune software.... now I am wondering if it's my card that's a dud...
what ATI card would be the equivalent here for my 512 8600GT as I do some autocad inventor work so 3d rendering is important. thanks. BTW I also just leave my system idle and it freezes as well.... temperature range is 39 to 45 deg C well within limits... wonder if the card is incompatable with my MSI p35 neo Mobo and core 2 duo E6850
It's probably your card then. The ATI 4850 would be a good card to get. If you want something cheaper, the 3870 is good as well, my friend has it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Order=REVIEWS
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 03:40 AM   #74
Grogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
vsync ?
Not a chance, vsync is horrible (60 Hz LCD here). In UT2004, the game speed is related to FPS and I don't want it that slow. I play instagib mostly and I need to be able to move.

Quote:
XFCE uses gtk too.
Absolutely... and I use GTK+ apps wherever possible. I love GTK+
Grogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 06:48 AM   #75
Big P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogan View Post
(need to underclock severely to play UT2004 because there's no way to limit the FPS in that game)
Huh? UT2004 online has an 85fps cap. You can unlock this in your ~/.ut2004/*.ini files. Offline there is no cap, but the game won't play faster just because it's running at 300fps, it will run smoother. Your issue is something else, there's no need to underclock your card.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 08:26 AM   #76
ever

tried the different options.. seem to improve the situation a lot on my 8600gt. window resizing is faster, moving (opaque) windows is almost good now under kde4.

overall i have to say, i'm disappointed in nvidia. i've been using nv cards since forever (1998) and whenever i bought a new one, the decision was highly influenced by its good linux support. starting with a riva tnt, i switched to a geforce 1, later a geforce 4200, a 6600 (passive) and now a 8600 passive.

i don't care so much about 10%fps. cuda is interesting of course, but it still is called a graphics card not a multipurpose computing enhancer. and mostly i use 2D or semi-3d (if you call the new desktop environments with all the bling semi-3d). how could such an important, such a basic thing get dropped?? you don't drop 2d acceleration. unless you are very neglectant to the general use case. you wouldn't drop fuel injection from car design saying "our new cpu in the car can take care of that and will in time, just right now, right now we are focussing on this nice media center so you can enjoy your time WHILE YOU SIT IN THE CAR AND WAIT"

the next card will probably be an ati. if their drivers suck as well, so be it.
ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 09:33 AM   #77
ngine13

I use ubuntu 8.04 and nvidia drivers 173.14.09. I have 8600m gt 512mb ram.

I had a problem with compiz in vertical drawing. The problem was the refresh rate in display settings (general options) in compizconfig settings manager. I unchecked "detect refresh rate" and i wrote my refresh rate in "refresh rate option".

Now everything is going smoothly.

Powermizer is slowing down performance. But you can disable it and get better performance with higher temperatures and higher power consumption.
ngine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 10:22 AM   #78
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ever View Post
tried the different options.. seem to improve the situation a lot on my 8600gt. window resizing is faster, moving (opaque) windows is almost good now under kde4.

overall i have to say, i'm disappointed in nvidia. i've been using nv cards since forever (1998) and whenever i bought a new one, the decision was highly influenced by its good linux support. starting with a riva tnt, i switched to a geforce 1, later a geforce 4200, a 6600 (passive) and now a 8600 passive.

i don't care so much about 10%fps. cuda is interesting of course, but it still is called a graphics card not a multipurpose computing enhancer. and mostly i use 2D or semi-3d (if you call the new desktop environments with all the bling semi-3d). how could such an important, such a basic thing get dropped?? you don't drop 2d acceleration. unless you are very neglectant to the general use case. you wouldn't drop fuel injection from car design saying "our new cpu in the car can take care of that and will in time, just right now, right now we are focussing on this nice media center so you can enjoy your time WHILE YOU SIT IN THE CAR AND WAIT"

the next card will probably be an ati. if their drivers suck as well, so be it.
ATI's drivers are awesome now, I've used them.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 04:57 PM   #79
mendokusai
Wanna use Bugmenot :(

BFG 8800GT, Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit, 177.13 drivers. I've made the nvidia-settings changes suggested. Regular 2D stuff is now quite usable -- Firefox scrolling is fast and smooth. However, Compiz is still unusable, like it has been from the start -- everything's choppy, including scrolling, and most transparency effects are broken (the opacity of transparent stuff "flickers", and gradually gets more opaque the longer it's displayed for).

Ironically, everything was beautifully fast and smooth on my old 7300GT -- even Compiz. So this upgrade, to a card that is theoretically vastly faster, means I have had to turn off the fancy 3D desktop effects in order to get acceptable performance! Very disappointing.

(There's nothing wrong with the card; performance in Windows is great, and it's brilliant for games. I remain an NVidia fan. I just look forward to the day when Linux drivers for the 8-series cards catch up with the great performance I was getting with a 7-series card...)
mendokusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 05:14 PM   #80
Fackamato
User

For compiz, use not the indirect rendering option, but the other one. Try it. (sorry, can't remember the name of the option right now)
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-08, 05:23 PM   #81
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

loose binding.

Wouldn't use that.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 05:40 PM   #82
Fackamato
User

Sometimes helps, some times not. Worth a try. I don't know what it does technically though
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 07:37 PM   #83
akimalahey
GTX 470 SOC @ Gentoo

Why do you recommand not to use --loose-binding?
After your post i tried compiz without this option and it became unusable choppy.

Everybody with performance problems should try it.
akimalahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 11:23 PM   #84
RensoreK

Also unusably choppy for me if I disable it. I've been following this thread closely since I have an 8600GT also, and ever since I moved from Windows Vista to Linux in January 08 i've had nothing but problems with it
RensoreK is offline   Reply With Quote