Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-08, 06:23 AM   #1
uemmingh

Default GeForce 7050 PV various driver problems

Hello

I have an Asrock board with integrated GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a (rev a2).
The CPU is a Athlon X2 3800+ and I am using a 64 bit kernel.
Yesterday I upgraded to SuSE 11.0 and I have not been able to get X to run since.
Using this board was already difficult under SuSE 10.3, but it did work using the 169.05 driver.
Stability was not so good however, maybe somehow connected to kernel updates.
The typical problem was that the screen would suddenly be covered by some kind of repeated pattern, sometimes along with a complete system freeze, sometimes the rest of the system was perfectly OK. Restarting X after the less lethal freeze did not change anything.
This did smell of hardware problems.
Installing anything later than 169.x would directly lead into a kernel panic when X is started. (actually I can only see Caps lock and Scroll lock blinking at this point in time and I guess it is a kernel panic. No log survives the reboot)
This again smells of software problems.
For the 2.6.25 kernel the old 169.x series driver do not work any more.
Additionally the nv driver does not support the 7050, so I am stuck at the console.
I know that there are patches for the driver and for the kernel to get 169.x running, but I really do not want to touch the kernel. Driver patching alone would be OK for me.

Is there any other way to get basic 2D X on this hardware?
Does anybody have similar problems?
Actually does anybody know a working integrated graphics solution?

Thanks for reading this,
Michael

Update
Found a simple solution for 2D: Just replace "nv" or "nvidia" withing xorg.conf with "vesa". No 3D or xv however.
After installing a new nvidia driver it is necessary to go to single user mode by appending "single" to the grub kernel parameters, otherwise there will be the crash described above.
I am still interested in better solutions ...

Update 2
No more crashes since using the vesa driver
I only found one report of a similar problem, and it was the exact same board, an Asrock Alive NF7G HDready.
I guess I am out of luck with a software fix.
Also the driver works perfectly with the openSuse 11.0 on a Asus 6150 based board.

Last edited by uemmingh; 07-13-08 at 10:16 AM. Reason: More info
uemmingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 03:10 AM   #2
hdtv24p

Default Re: GeForce 7050 PV various driver problems

I have the same chipset with integrated graphics on a Asus m2n-vm-hdmi board running SUSE 10.3 and have never had any problems with X using SUSE stock 64 bit kernel and the latest nVidia drivers 173.14.9.
Sounds like you're having hardware problems.

Peter
hdtv24p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 06:30 AM   #3
kaoron

Hi,
I've got the same chipset on Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p, and experience the same problem. Screen is covered up by an ECG-like pattern when i use a hardware accelerated graphics app (firefox+compiz or qtdemo randomly make it freeze but i cannot reproduce it). Driver is loaded fine and nothing odd survives in logs.
When crashed, system still can switch to VT and back to X, can restart X too, but screen always keeps being messy, and VT doesn't show up.
Sometimes, system (mouse and display at least) slows down then freezes but screen doesn't mess up, X restart or VT switch isn't possible.
SysRq works and let me soft reboot.
I use nvidia driver 173.14.09 on ubuntu 8.04

Did you find out how to get stable 3D graphics ? This issue is a bit annoying because it happens randomly and forces to reboot.

Thanks.
(Sorry for bad english if some)
kaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 03:52 AM   #4
uemmingh

I could never use a nividia driver past the 169.x series without immediate kernel panic.
I used the vesa driver for some time now, but obviously this kept me from playing games in wine (wine renders 2D using the 3D engine!)
Additionally two weeks ago I had a crash much like the ones with the nvidia driver, but with the vesa driver.
My conclusion is that the board gets worse, but this is probably not a generic PV7050 problem but much more likely a weakness on a small number of Asrock PV7050 boards, seeing that there are not even a handfull of complaints about that on the internet.
I am a bit fed up with the nvidia driver. It would have been not very hard to find the change between 169.x and 173.x that causes the crash if the driver was open source.

Now I bought a Asrock FullDIsplayPort to see what ATI can deliver. So far the installation process is more involved. (have to manually call sax2 for OpenSuse) and maybe the speed is a bit lower, but apart from that it works.

I still have the old board and will rig it up using a cheapo Sempron, just to check. It is still usabe as server board. A visual inspection revealed no obvious defects. I can see that the board below the CPU is bulging a bit downwards, but not very much so.
I also removed the northbridge heatsink, cleaned it and applied arctic MX1 heat conductor paste. Maybe installing a less heavy CPU cooler and the heat conductor paste will make a difference.
uemmingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 07:48 AM   #5
venks

I have got the same problem with asus m2n68-cm that comes with gf7050PV graphics and nforce 630a chipset.

nVidia driver works up to ver 169 but not after that. I am now running that driver on PCLinuxOS.

I also have Mandriva 2009 installed but it defaults to vesa driver so I don't get 3D effects of KDE4. Mandriva's nvidia is ver 177 in its repo which locks up the system bad. Same goes for Ubuntu as well as OpenSUSE 11.0.

Has anyone got any success with this graphics card and the later versions of nvidia drivers?

Looks like kernel 2.6.25 will not support driver ver 169 anymore. PCLinuxOS runs on kernel 2.6.22.
venks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 04:34 AM   #6
eorg

asus m2n68-cm, suse 11.1, Linux Display Driver - x86 Version: 180.22

suse yast install didn't found suitable driver, but manual install went more than okey - i am happy now
eorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 09:53 PM   #7
venks

eorg:
good to hear you got yours working.

When you say manual install, did you download the driver from nvidia site and tried it? Can you give some brief steps on how to do it?

Currently I have PCLinuxOS, Mandriva 2009 and OpenSUSE 11.1 (KDE4 livecd) running on this machine.
Old 03-04-09, 12:44 PM   #8
mk1

Hi,

I am seeing the same hard system freezes running Debian lenny, 2.6.26 (official Debian kernel) with all drivers after version 169.
I am using an Asus M2N-VM-DVI and usually running it against a Panasonic projector.
Through trial and error I could get driver version 180 running when observing the following boot sequence:

- restart with projector unplugged during BIOS init
- wait until the Linux kernel has been booted, then plug in _running_ projector before X is being started

In that case the driver works fine. In any other sequence (projector off during boot, projector on during whole boot sequence) the system locks up hard.
I could see that the system is locking up while trying to determine valid modes. So my latest attempt was to feed it the projector's EDID via the "CustomEDID" option. However this failed as well with the projector turned off. I am starting X remotely and the last output I see from
'startx -- -verbose 9 -logverbose 9' when feeding the projector's EDID directly is:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Validating Mode "1280x720":
(II) NVIDIA(0): 1280 x 720 @ 50 Hz
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mode Source: EDID
(II) NVIDIA(0): Pixel Clock : 74.25 MHz
(II) NVIDIA(0): HRes, HSyncStart : 1280, 1720
(II) NVIDIA(0): HSyncEnd, HTotal : 1760, 1980
(II) NVIDIA(0): VRes, VSyncStart : 720, 725
(II) NVIDIA(0): VSyncEnd, VTotal : 730, 750
(II) NVIDIA(0): H/V Polarity : +/+
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mode is valid.
(II) NVIDIA(0):
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validating Mode "1920x1080":
(II) NVIDIA(0): 1920 x 1080 @ 24 Hz
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mode Source: EDID
(II) NVIDIA(0): Pixel Clock : 74.16 MHz
(II) NVIDIA(0): HRes, HSyncStart : 1920, 2558

It really stops in the middle of the 'Validating Mode' output (but maybe it was complete and not completely transferred over the line).

Even version 169 is not running without problems: I do not experience lockups but to get X running I must boot through the BIOS initialisation pahse with the projector either being turned off or disconnected.

Any help is appreciated. As I am usually booting the system with the projector turned off, I am stuck with my last known good configuration, driver version 169 on kernel 2.6.25, as the module wrapper for version 169 will not build with more recent kernels.

Best wishes,

Martin.

Last edited by mk1; 03-04-09 at 12:59 PM. Reason: more info on driver 169
mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-09, 12:51 PM   #9
mk1

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that driver version 180.44 on a 2.6.29.1 kernel solves the problem for me. It also manages to connect to the projector if it is connected during BIOS initialization.

Best wishes,

Martin.
mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 06:40 PM   #10
venks

Hi Martin,
just managed to check with the latest driver 180.51 on 2.6.27 kernel (Mandriva 2009.0). Works very well indeed. Looks like the problem has been solved.

Perhaps this could be marked as SOLVED for future reference?
Old 07-06-09, 06:11 AM   #11
biAji

I have exactly same issue with asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p..

Even I use NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14 and kernel 2.6.29.5-191.fc11.i586 , the situation doesn't improved... I have to use nouveau driver instead. Anyone can confirm this ?
biAji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 12:53 PM   #12
Frank Ansari

I have an ASRock N68PV-GS board with on-board nvidia 7050 graphic chip. From time to time the graphic board freezes. Using Google Chrome browser I have this phenomenon in a couple of minutes.

OS is SUSE 11.1 x64_64 with kernel 2.6.31-9.

Yesterday I installed the latest driver 190.42. It did not help.

I can confirm that the problem is gone when you use "vesa" instead of "nvidia" in the xorg.conf file but then the graphic is awful and this cannot be the solution.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Ansari; 11-01-09 at 12:55 PM. Reason: update
Frank Ansari is offline   Reply With Quote