Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-08, 12:50 PM   #13
sadtherobot

Default Re: X11 server very bloated (RSS), won't shrink even when killing shmen etc, seems lo

uOpt, I"m curious about something. What video card are you using? Or if it's a variety of cards, do you have any examples?
sadtherobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 04:22 PM   #14
tyfon

Default Re: X11 server very bloated (RSS), won't shrink even when killing shmen etc, seems lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadtherobot View Post
uOpt, I"m curious about something. What video card are you using? Or if it's a variety of cards, do you have any examples?
What card/version of driver is this?
I am using a 9800 gtx with the 180.16 driver and after a day of hammering X i have:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ P COMMAND
25527 root 20 0 485m 24m 10m S 4 0.6 2:23.42 0 Xorg

24 mb resident doesn't seem too excessive to me
This is with KDE4 which should be taxing the X server pretty heavily.
tyfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 04:56 PM   #15
xorbe
Unbuffered User

I had this problem a while back, and my machine with 1GB of memory (back then, now 2GB) -- I could load a bunch of pages in Firefox and get X to shoot up to 1.2GB. From there it was swap city, and I had to restart the X session to continue doing anything meaningful.

I resolved by upgrading all my Mandriva Cooker rpms and the nVidia driver.

It still seems to grow verrry slowly (which is why I added the extra 1GB), but I can get by for 3+ months without an X restart now.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 11:54 AM   #16
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

My main machine is using a 6600GT, dual-head configuration. Drivers are 177.82 but I have seen that with all kinds of drivers. I think I tried some early 180.x to some avail but don't remember right now.

I tried turning off the GlyphCache, but it is off by default in 17x.xx anyway, so no change.

The problem persists and it is extremely easy to reproduce: just go to the games screenshots thread right here on nvnews and open a couple pages in tabs, let's say 20 if you have a large RAM system.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...28#post1858228

The memory taken up by the X11 server does not go down even if you kill all clients except a single xterm. I have manually looked through all SYSVshm shared memory segments and the X11 server usage is not caused by any existing shared memory with clients. This is definitly not caused by clients or by userland libraries screwing up.

It isn't true that memory usage never goes down, but it goes down by tiny amounts over days, and even trying to push memory out by starting large memory locked programs doesn't do any good. I am still convinced that what shows up in RES in top is mlock(2)ed into memory by NVidia's drivers.

In case it isn't obvious, I'm still extremely annoyed by this. Given the available evidence I feel justified in straight blaming NVidia for stealing half of my RAM. Maybe it's not their fault, but they don't say anything about this problems, and it's not that we have the source for the driver, eh?

I could go and hack up memory allocation in the X11 server to be trackable and replace mlock(2) with a verbose version but then what? Even if I prove that NVidia's locking all this memory what am I gonna do about it? It's not that I can fix it without source code.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 12:34 AM   #17
rapsure

I tried to recreate the problem my self and X didn't go above 51m res. There appears to be something wrong with you X setup.
rapsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 10:38 AM   #18
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsure View Post
I tried to recreate the problem my self and X didn't go above 51m res. There appears to be something wrong with you X setup.
Sure. That's why a bunch of other people report the same problem (none of them at a 10 posts count).

I have posted my xorg.conf, there's nothing special in there. It's a very straightforward dual-head setup and at this time only one graphics card.

Old 12-30-08, 10:57 AM   #19
kernelOfTruth
Gentoo Linux addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
Sure. That's why a bunch of other people report the same problem (none of them at a 10 posts count).

I have posted my xorg.conf, there's nothing special in there. It's a very straightforward dual-head setup and at this time only one graphics card.
I seem to encounter something similar over time with 180.18 and Geforce 8600M GS

this all seems to associated with kde4 for me:

X server-usage:
goes from 90 -> 230 -> 400+ (something like that)
it varies pretty much how I use it (watching DVDs, opening several PDFs, leave firefox 3.1beta2 running, ...)

the most obvious thing was that the whole GUI was getting slower and in several cases kwin's cpu-usage goes up to 90-100% (might be a bug), relaunching it "fixes" this issue
Code:
kwin --replace &
but not the high memory usage

I'm having 4 GB of ram and 4 GB of swap + compcache (1 GB) so I'm not noticing swapping and/or slowing down of the system that early

uptime is never longer than 12-18 hours so I can't tell how this develops over several days ...
Ubuntu Jaunty/9.04 x86_64 Dell XPS M1330
kernelOfTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 12:07 PM   #20
Big P

Quote:
Yeah, the only other person in this thread had 16 posts. No need to get snarky when no one else can reproduce your problem. When a "bunch" of people have a problem, and many thousands don't, I wonder where the problem could lie?
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-08, 12:57 PM   #21
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

There were other threads about the same problem. And as I said, I don't have an unusual configuration except no KBDextension, which hardly seems relevant.

Old 12-30-08, 01:15 PM   #22
rapsure

I've looked over your memory map file and didn't see anything that stood out to me. Your libpixman is very old. I still highly doubt that the problem is with nVidia. In the past I've experienced such large memory leaks and it has always been with the X server. For example X.org 1.5.0 - 1.5.2 leaked to where it got to about 256 meg res. When libpixman leaked it would get up to a couple of gig of res in which I had to investigate what was causing it and I tried a non-nvidia graphics card and it still occurred. Also X.org 1.4.0 had a nasty memory leak in the server too.

Oh and the number of posts an individual has doesn't have a direct correlation to expertise.
rapsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 01:20 PM   #23
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
I've looked over your memory map file and didn't see anything that stood out to me. Your libpixman is very old.
libpixman can't be responsible since the X11 server memory usage stays up even after the last client except for an xterm exits.

I reviewed all sysvshm mappings by hand, there's nothing.

At this time I run the firefox that's bloating the X11 server in a chroot with libpixman-1.0.10. Same problem.

Last but not least, if things would just get lost then the memory would be pageable, which it seems it's not.

Quote:
I still highly doubt that the problem is with nVidia. In the past I've experienced such large memory leaks and it has always been with the X server. For example X.org 1.5.0 - 1.5.2 leaked to where it got to about 256 meg res. When libpixman leaked it would get up to a couple of gig of res in which I had to investigate what was causing it and I tried a non-nvidia graphics card and it still occurred.
Then explain why the same X11 server version is not bloated with DRI/Xorg drivers on an ATI card.

Quote:
Also X.org 1.4.0 had a nasty memory leak in the server too.
That was the TCP bug already discussed. This bug is not in my server.

Old 12-30-08, 01:25 PM   #24
rtcm

Quote:
libpixman can't be responsible since the X11 server memory usage stays up even after the last client except for an xterm exits.
Wrong. libpixman doesn't get used by the clients. It's linked by the server and the server uses it to do software rendering fallbacks on behalf of clients.

Quote:
At this time I run the firefox that's bloating the X11 server in a chroot with libpixman-1.0.10. Same problem.
If you X server isn't running with that libpixman you're not using it. See above.
rtcm is offline   Reply With Quote