Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-08, 07:19 PM   #1
malachi1313
Registered User
 
malachi1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SMASHVILLE,TN
Posts: 818
Default Is the 200 series a whole new architecture?

Or is it just more of what the G92 had?? Reason I ask is because it's amazing how games play..no glitches or bugs, kinda unusual for a new card if ya ask me.
malachi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 08:52 PM   #2
MowTin
 
MowTin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,205
Default Re: Is the 200 series a whole new architecture?

Can you run the froggy demo on these cards or is it g80 only? Is there some dx10 demo you can run?
__________________
i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz | 480 GTX | 3x2GB OCZ Gold | x58 3SLI | X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Samsung 226BW | Samsung 4665F LCD HDTV | Kenwood 500W receiver

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 08:54 PM   #3
Medion
 
Medion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Barksdale AFB, La
Posts: 1,238
Default Re: Is the 200 series a whole new architecture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
Can you run the froggy demo on these cards or is it g80 only? Is there some dx10 demo you can run?
There was the medusa demo released for it. It will run on older NV hardware, just not nearly as well.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 10:08 PM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Is the 200 series a whole new architecture?

you can run all old demos as well
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 10:53 AM   #5
malachi1313
Registered User
 
malachi1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SMASHVILLE,TN
Posts: 818
Default Re: Is the 200 series a whole new architecture?

well anyone?
malachi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 11:09 AM   #6
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: Is the 200 series a whole new architecture?

It's not a "whole" new architecture. There were some changes made like adding more shaders, texture units and transistors, but the AA implementation remains pretty much the same as G80/G92.

Both GT200 and R770/700 are based largely on prior gen architecture.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 08:31 PM   #7
ChrisRay
Registered User
 
ChrisRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,101
Default Re: Is the 200 series a whole new architecture?

The main changes to the GT200 and G92/G80 include

1) Better texture sampling efficiency
2) More cache for improved geometry shading., This area is huge. The increase to GS performance is staggering
3) Fully exposed MaDD + Mul operation per shader. The G92 can do it under certain limited circumstances. And the G80 is even more limited. The Gt200 turns it on for everything. Other hardware has to be specifically tuned.
3) Increased shader registry space.

If you look at the medusa demo. It uses significant amounts of geometry shading. And the results show when comparing the G92 to G200. The G200 is to the G92/G80 what the G7x was too the NV40.

Chris
__________________
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 08:40 PM   #8
walterman
Rayne
 
walterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,525
Default Re: Is the 200 series a whole new architecture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
3) Fully exposed MaDD + Mul operation per shader. The G92 can do it under certain limited circumstances. And the G80 is even more limited. The Gt200 turns it on for everything. Other hardware has to be specifically tuned.
Yeah, finally, dual issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
If you look at the medusa demo. It uses significant amounts of geometry shading. And the results show when comparing the G92 to G200. The G200 is to the G92/G80 what the G7x was too the NV40.
Unluckily, the bandwidth did not grow as expected (google amdahl's law)
__________________
ASUS Rampage Formula X48 | Xeon 3350 @ 3.6 GHz (450x8/1.26v) | 4x1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL3 @ 900 MHz 3-4-4-15 | 1 x eVGA GTX 285 SSC | 1 x ASUS EN8800GTX (PhysX/CUDA -> Burnt by nVidia 196.75 driver) | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCIe | 1 x Intel X25-M G2 80GB | 2 x 750GB WD RE2 7500AYYS SATA2 16MB | Samsung SH-B083L SATA | Enermax Revolution 1250W | Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27" 1920x1200 | Thermaltake Black Armor | BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch
walterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-08, 01:19 AM   #9
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 1,886
Default Re: Is the 200 series a whole new architecture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
The main changes to the GT200 and G92/G80 include

1) Better texture sampling efficiency
2) More cache for improved geometry shading., This area is huge. The increase to GS performance is staggering
3) Fully exposed MaDD + Mul operation per shader. The G92 can do it under certain limited circumstances. And the G80 is even more limited. The Gt200 turns it on for everything. Other hardware has to be specifically tuned.
3) Increased shader registry space.

If you look at the medusa demo. It uses significant amounts of geometry shading. And the results show when comparing the G92 to G200. The G200 is to the G92/G80 what the G7x was too the NV40.

Chris
I wonder Chris, will Nvidia use their DevRel to push for more games to use GS now that the GTX2xx cards are much better at it? How much of an improvement in GS performance are we talking about and is there a 3d test that we can use to measure as such?
__________________
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nvidia GeForce 301.42 WHQL drivers DSC NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers 5 05-29-12 10:12 PM
NVIDIA Kepler GK110 Architecture White Paper News Archived News Items 0 05-20-12 09:00 PM
New Whitepaper: NVIDIA's Next-Gen CUDA Compute Architecture ' Kepler GK110 News Archived News Items 0 05-18-12 09:30 PM
Did anyone get a IBM 180GXP series HD yet? i know they are in stock in some areas. imtim83 General Hardware 3 10-11-02 08:51 AM
Undecided - GeForce 3 Ti 200 or Radeon 9000 Pro? b5fan NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series 8 08-19-02 01:23 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.