Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-27-08, 01:15 PM   #25
Bman212121

Default Re: Mirror's Edge: Interview + gameplay

@rhuala: My guess is that the red part will be there on easy and normal modes, and the hard mode will probably not have the red to help guide you. As they were saying in the video the red is just there to help you figure out where to go, but you can take other paths besides the red one.

There is no way I could play this game though, they talked about getting rid of motion sickness, but just widening the FOV isn't going to do it for me. I'd have to take some Dramamine before I even try to play the game.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 02:41 PM   #26
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
@rhuala: My guess is that the red part will be there on easy and normal modes, and the hard mode will probably not have the red to help guide you. As they were saying in the video the red is just there to help you figure out where to go, but you can take other paths besides the red one.

There is no way I could play this game though, they talked about getting rid of motion sickness, but just widening the FOV isn't going to do it for me. I'd have to take some Dramamine before I even try to play the game.
Nice, I'm glad that's an option... I think this is a game my wife could actually get into... she says all fps generally look the same and bland and she has no interest in shooting people... would be cool if they have a co-op mode
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 03:01 PM   #27
|MaguS|

I dout you will be able to disable the red hints since its put there so that the player knows where to go at a quick glance. It wouldn't make the game fun by removing them and players having to guess where to go by constantly jumping to their deaths.

I'm sure they will be less abundant in the later levels that are more open but they will always be there. I mean they even explain the reason for it being there... it's the characters six sense... not the actual world thats colored.

This isn't a game that you are suppose to go slow and watch the world, its meant to be played at a quick pace with you always on the move. Like it said all your moves are based of momentum.
Old 07-27-08, 03:19 PM   #28
Buio

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I dout you will be able to disable the red hints since its put there so that the player knows where to go at a quick glance. It wouldn't make the game fun by removing them and players having to guess where to go by constantly jumping to their deaths
There is a difference on giving hints and railing the player.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 03:48 PM   #29
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

You will have the option to turn off red hints completely. If you choose to leave red hints on, the numbers of red hints will slowly decreases when you get farther in the game.

I really like the idea of this game, it looks completely different than any other games. Kudos to DICE for trying something new. I'm very interested in this game.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 04:07 PM   #30
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post
There is a difference on giving hints and railing the player.
Yes railing means the player has no choice, the red hints are not railing you along since their will be multiple choices, just that they will give you a hint saying that if you jump off here you wont die instantly since this is a choice path.

NaitoSan, I only read it in a single preview that it would be able to disable but never from the developer themselves. I have only seen them mention disabling the red dot. Even if you could disable it, I wouldn't since its how the game is designed and intended on being played.
Old 07-27-08, 06:45 PM   #31
Buio

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yes railing means the player has no choice, the red hints are not railing you along since their will be multiple choices, just that they will give you a hint saying that if you jump off here you wont die instantly since this is a choice path.
Check the gameplay videos again, after jumping of the red ramp. Red pipes, red door, red vent shaft, red stairs, red door. Also I have a feeling that none of the white doors being passed is interactive. On the developer walk-through he mentions red runner vision will show one of many ways, but f.e. when doing that the red pipes are the only way over the buildings which makes that the "one and only, obvious way" not needing any red marking.

Well its long way off, I just hope it does have multiple possibilities, that it's not only "promotion talk".
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 07:06 PM   #32
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post
Check the gameplay videos again, after jumping of the red ramp. Red pipes, red door, red vent shaft, red stairs, red door. Also I have a feeling that none of the white doors being passed is interactive. On the developer walk-through he mentions red runner vision will show one of many ways, but f.e. when doing that the red pipes are the only way over the buildings which makes that the "one and only, obvious way" not needing any red marking.

Well its long way off, I just hope it does have multiple possibilities, that it's not only "promotion talk".
It's also a first time public showing, the game is a long ways off. They probably only want to show one way so make it easier on themselves aswell as to avoid any unknown bugs.

E3 demos are always linear because they just want to show you a the premise quickly and direct.

Old 07-28-08, 09:36 AM   #33
qube
Bored sins birth

its the BF2 engine i believe
Old 07-28-08, 10:17 AM   #34
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by qube View Post
its the BF2 engine i believe
Nope, It's the UE3.
Old 07-28-08, 03:49 PM   #35
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
QFT. Those would have no logical purpose for being there in reality. They're placed there to make your stunts easier obviously. But, for realism they should have not put the ramps except for in some construction zones. And even then only a small amount of them.
If you listen to the interview that was linked, the developer points out that the 'red' is 'runner vision', or in other words, the runner's experience and instinct. So making things that are useful to the runner pop on screen is the best way to give you that life-long instinct without forcing you to go out to the rooftops and leap between buildings in real life
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 04:09 PM   #36
Zeus666

New 10 minute indoor gameplay