Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-30-08, 08:48 PM   #13
rinthos

Default Re: 173.14.12 Drivers!!!!

Any news on fixes for screen brightness on HP 8510W w/ Quadro FX 570M (to allow it to be adjusted)?

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
I can only post when I have something useful to contribute.
I'd find most responses to this question 'useful'.
rinthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 10:33 PM   #14
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinthos View Post
Any news on fixes for screen brightness on HP 8510W w/ Quadro FX 570M (to allow it to be adjusted)?
This one I did manage to find:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
Every laptop vendor has its own different, incompatible way of controlling the backlight brightness which is why it's so difficult for a unified driver to make it work all of the time and why NVIDIA doesn't even try to provide notebook drivers for Windows.
You should contact HP if you're having trouble.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 11:25 PM   #15
rinthos

Quote:
You should contact HP if you're having trouble.
Yeah, that's lead us to use the NV driver (Suse10 base configuration), which works for screen brightness. It's only the 'nvidia' driver that seems to break the screen brightness adjustment.

The response we got was pretty much 'if it works that way, it's not an HP system issue, contact the developer for support'. Which of course leads us back to this forum, LOL.

Ah well, won't divert this thread w/ my support circle. If you can offer any suggestions let me know, but otherwise, keep up the development sir.

Thanks.
rinthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 10:06 AM   #16
funkyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
I posted about it somewhere, but I can't find the post now. Anyway, a number of improvements to the RENDER acceleration on GeForce 8 and higher GPUs are being developed for the 177.* and 180.* driver series. These include support for the various repeat modes, transforms, and convolution filters, as well as acceleration for trapezoid rendering. In addition, resizing windows in KDE 4 hits a number of particularly slow fallbacks that we're working to avoid. The official release notes will mention these improvements when they're ready for prime-time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
A few will, but some of the features require the improved flexibility of the GeForce 8 series. It should all be spelled out clearly in the release notes. We're mainly targeting GeForce 8 and up because that's where the biggest performance bottlenecks are right now.
In other words: You are forcing me to buy an new card because my current 7600GT will not be able to give me proper (and fast) 2D???

Hey, its 2D (!!) stuff, these problems have been solved decades ago... Even the vesa and nv drivers are much faster in some cases than the current nvidia driver... And now i should buy a new card that is expensive, eats even more power just to get proper 2D? Sorry, that doesnt get into my head at all...

Maybe i should be thankful for you guys work, but i can also expect proper drivers when i buy a card, or?
funkyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 10:37 AM   #17
OneOfOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyou View Post
In other words: You are forcing me to buy an new card because my current 7600GT will not be able to give me proper (and fast) 2D???

Hey, its 2D (!!) stuff, these problems have been solved decades ago... Even the vesa and nv drivers are much faster in some cases than the current nvidia driver... And now i should buy a new card that is expensive, eats even more power just to get proper 2D? Sorry, that doesnt get into my head at all...

Maybe i should be thankful for you guys work, but i can also expect proper drivers when i buy a card, or?
You are missing the point, 2D already works great on 6xxx/7xxx and there isn't much to improve there.
However, it is very broken on the 8xxx/9xxx series, that's why they are working on it.

edit:
I appreciate all the recent updates to the drivers and all the work put into it, kde-4.1 is 95% usable, hoping we'll reach the 100% mark soon

8800 gt 512mb (177.13)
OneOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 10:46 AM   #18
kriko
openSuSE11

@OneOfOne: KDE4 is sluggish even on older cards.

He said there will be some improvements to older models, I hope this will fix kde4 issues.

@AaronP: will there be another beta of 177.*? Is the final release far?
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 11:13 AM   #19
funkyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfOne View Post
You are missing the point, 2D already works great on 6xxx/7xxx and there isn't much to improve there.
Wrong. KDE4 is absolutely sluggish here, especially redrawing windows and scrolling in Konsole and several other apps...

And it gets even more worse if i put my system under load (like compiling something), then it gets absolutely slow...

(P4 DualCore 3.4Ghz / 1GB / SATA2 / 7600GT / latest stable nvidia driver with all recommended KDE4 tweaks applied...)
Old 07-31-08, 12:01 PM   #20
Dragoran

Tested it know....
Both cores (T7400) at 100% load scrolling still very smooth in konsole on my 7600 Go.
wm was compiz.
Seems like you applied "tweaks" which were never intended for your card, hence the slowdown.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-08, 12:32 PM   #21
kriko
openSuSE11

@Dragoran: can't you see that your cpu is doing all the work?
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 12:55 PM   #22
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriko View Post
6-8% cpu usage for very "agressive" scrolling can get it till 21% but nothing more.
anyway scrolling is fast here.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 02:29 PM   #23
funkyou

Slow scrolling and high CPU usage in Dolphin:

Slow scrolling and high CPU usage in Konsole:

And this was without any load at all ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
Both cores (T7400) at 100% load scrolling still very smooth in konsole on my 7600 Go.
wm was compiz.
Seems like you applied "tweaks" which were never intended for your card, hence the slowdown.
This also happens when i turn off all "tweaks" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf... Using standard 2D mode without compositing...

BTW: I dont use a debug build of KDE4/Qt4, as you may think from looking at the screenshots... These are builds compiled with Release Flag
Old 07-31-08, 03:01 PM   #24
Big P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriko View Post
I think you missed the point. He put his system under full load, and then attempted to scroll and it was still smooth. Hence, the graphics card is doing what it is supposed to.

@funkyou
You mention "tweaks" to your xorg.conf, but are you using InitialPixmapPlacement=2 after loading KDE4? I tested KDE 4.1 on my 8800GTS and other than resizing, it was very usable.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote