Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-29-09, 04:10 PM   #85
Protoplasym

Default Re: Doom 4 30FPS cap (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomizer View Post
A. I agree, though the nature of MMOs suggest they should be sandbox driven by default. unfortunatly MMO devs focus too much on the end game(crap for max level players to do), and the most common thing I see is people just rushing to get there so they can raid, and of course, morons paying real cash for leveling services(Dont hate on me, I have friends who have done it too, its just stupid to pay cash to get someone else to play the game for you, defeats the purpose of gaming).

B. Games like Morrowind is an exception to the rule, Morrowind is a great sandbox, truely you can do what you want, kill who you want, steal anything you want etc its what MMOs should strive to be like(Maybe with Oblivions combat though).
I have actually seen a speedrun of Morrowind where they "complete" the game within 12 minutes or something insane like that, of course they do use glitches to obtain it, skipping 99% of the main quest, but youd never be able to obtain that in a linear railride.
Oblivion plays better overall, but its interface suffers from consolitise(yes I like saying that :P ), just a bit clunky and obviously not designed with a mouse in mind(plus everything is huge, luckily theres alot of user mods to make the interface smaller).

C. I had some way to perminently apply the affinity fix so I didnt have to keep doing it, though before I found it I did have to do it manually, ah, here it is, I have a batch file that I run instead of the main games .exe, all it contains is:

That essentially forces the affinity and then launches it, and thats pretty much all I needed, though I did have the official patch that included MP, not sure if it made any difference on whether I could run it or not, the same thing could be done for Thief 2 if the only problem is it not liking more then 1 core

Its always fun to discuss things you love
A. For sure, I wouldn't know how to pull that off with ease that's for sure. I'll never understand this infatuation with "beating the game before anyone else" of this recent generation (no offense intended to anyone, ha) that I've noticed so much of the last 10 years. I mean, hell... yeah I knew guys back in elementary who were toting they'd beaten Double Dragon or Contra before anyone else in school. Sometimes as in just about anything Man does, it's fun to be proud of accomplishments, but in all honesty: it appears to me to be some kind of sickness with the last decades Gamers.

I know everyone plays in their own way and totally has the right to do so, but I'll never understand why anyone would want to 'rush' through a gaming experience. I can't tell you how many comments I've seen on various game threads on youtube threads, and multiple other forums where there are people (kids most likely, lol) who are proud of the fact that they've sprinted through a game.

I'm slow and deliberate... and I soak up every inch of the experience. For example, Doom 3 probably took me 30-35 hours to beat. I'm not your average shooter, I've done it in far less since that initial run, but when I first when through it: I looked at every nook and cranny and soaked up everything I could. Lol, you can imagine how ridiculously slow I am when faced with something like Morrowind.

Anyway, it's almost the same thing as cheaters... cheaters and fast gamers - they're a weird bunch imo... but to each their own.

B. Yeah, I've seen those speedruns... totally silly to me, but whatever, I can understand someone who's played/beaten the game a jillion times wanting to have a little fun.

Hey, can you recommend any other 100% Sandbox RPGs like ESIII/IV/FO3 that might interest me? I'd appreciate it if you can.

C. I wouldn't mind doing it manually, not a biggie, I also don't mind putting CDs/DVDs in the drive to play a game, but I guess that's just me, ha.

true true
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
2 GBs DDR 2 [800] RAM
ASUS MB

280 Legit Games installed

(2) 500 GB drives
(1) 80 GB drive (houses the OS only)
Protoplasym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 09:02 AM   #86
TheANIMAL

ID software has been bought by Zenimax, owner of Bethesda.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 10:26 AM   #87
Protoplasym

Question Re: Doom 4 30FPS cap (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheANIMAL View Post
ID software has been bought by Zenimax, owner of Bethesda.
I still haven't decided what I think of this.... was reading peoples responses on Shack the other day and they seem to think it's a good thing for the most part. I'm not sure at this point. Does ID not have the funds to make things happen on their own anymore? I don't understand why they need to be 'under anyones' wing....???....

Hell, I'm more worried about Rage coming out under EAs wing.... worried that it's going to have Limited Activations...?... I don't see how ID would abide by such a deal, surely they feel that kind of DRM is an affront to Gaming as I'm sure most Gamers agree.
2 GBs DDR 2 [800] RAM
ASUS MB

(2) 500 GB drives
Old 06-30-09, 04:45 PM   #88
TheANIMAL

Bethesda and ID Software are 2 companies dedicated to pushing technological boundries and aiming for good quality.
Old 07-01-09, 05:11 AM   #89
Atomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoplasym View Post
A. For sure, I wouldn't know how to pull that off with ease that's for sure. I'll never understand this infatuation with "beating the game before anyone else" of this recent generation (no offense intended to anyone, ha) that I've noticed so much of the last 10 years. I mean, hell... yeah I knew guys back in elementary who were toting they'd beaten Double Dragon or Contra before anyone else in school. Sometimes as in just about anything Man does, it's fun to be proud of accomplishments, but in all honesty: it appears to me to be some kind of sickness with the last decades Gamers.

I know everyone plays in their own way and totally has the right to do so, but I'll never understand why anyone would want to 'rush' through a gaming experience. I can't tell you how many comments I've seen on various game threads on youtube threads, and multiple other forums where there are people (kids most likely, lol) who are proud of the fact that they've sprinted through a game.

I'm slow and deliberate... and I soak up every inch of the experience. For example, Doom 3 probably took me 30-35 hours to beat. I'm not your average shooter, I've done it in far less since that initial run, but when I first when through it: I looked at every nook and cranny and soaked up everything I could. Lol, you can imagine how ridiculously slow I am when faced with something like Morrowind.

Anyway, it's almost the same thing as cheaters... cheaters and fast gamers - they're a weird bunch imo... but to each their own.
Yeah, thats pretty much how I play games, especially RPGs, I am an explorer, I am one who explores every inch of a dungeon, picking up all the loot I can, then I get to the point where I have to start dropping stuff in my inventory for something better I found
Unfortunately that method of playing does limit replayability in most games, but I have fun and thats all that matters.

In regards to the speeding though a game issue, I remember older games being more score based, so sure you might have beaten the game before anyone else, but whats your score? :P
Though it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to have scores in most games nowdays, especially in more in-depth games like RPGs, but itd actually be a fun idea to have a FPS where it has a scoreboard at the end of the game, with an online database of top scores, as well as local machine scores, I will admit though, I am a stat ***** :P

Quote:
B. Yeah, I've seen those speedruns... totally silly to me, but whatever, I can understand someone who's played/beaten the game a jillion times wanting to have a little fun.

Hey, can you recommend any other 100% Sandbox RPGs like ESIII/IV/FO3 that might interest me? I'd appreciate it if you can.
Unfortunately I think you covered them all that I can think of, unless you go back even older to ES2 and the likes, or get into rogue-likes, which are bloody awesome randomly generated labrynths, where its more like a survival game then an RPG, you have to find food or you can starve to death, and there is so much you can do in them, engraving writing on walls and floors, digging tunnels, kicking/lockpicking doors, forcing the lock off chests if you cant pick locks etc, with many traps and monsters that can catch you at the wrong time and you die, ive starved at least a few times :P
Oh and theres no respawn after death, it has a scoreboard for your character name, class, what level you made it to and how you died etc.
The downside? Most rogue-likes are done in ASCII, and dont have a graphical view, though there is a few with 2d tiles and 1 I know of thats full 3d(though its still using ASCII characters, just, in 3d), look for FalconsClaw or FalconsEye if you're interested, those are I think the best ones.
If you dont mind a it of action in your sandbox though, you might enjoy Prototype, new game that if you have heard of, you control a superpowered experiment, and while its not based off any popular IP like spiderman or anything, you feel more like a superhero then in any other game.
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 12:24 PM   #90
noko
noko

Lol, thread doesn't seem to have too much about Doom4. Any news about Doom4 is that way off in the future?

Foxconn 780G, Athlon64 X2 5600 @ 3ghz, Mushkin 4gb DDR 800 OCZ 2x2gb , eVga 260 GTX. 17" MagAcer LCD, 120gb Vista 32
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 02:09 PM   #91
Protoplasym

Lightbulb Re: Doom 4 30FPS cap (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Lol, thread doesn't seem to have too much about Doom4. Any news about Doom4 is that way off in the future?
It would appear so.... lol.

My greatest concern/worry is that ID is going to make enemies magically appear in the world as they did in 3 to the great extent that they did. I think spawning monsters should be a special occasion and not a regularity.

I really, really wish that Doom 4 (hell, ALL shooters from now on imo) would adopt the "Manager" AI that Left for Dead employs.

I wish every play through the maps (they're so much work to make in the first place) was different and unique than the last. If someone could/would mod Doom3 like this (I'm still waiting on the Nightmare mod to surface which is supposed to have some randomization to it, doesn't even look like the man is ever going to finish it though, his ideas sound awesome on paper too!),

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/NightMare_Mod;83827

I'd play it for life, loooong after 4 and 5 and whatever else came out. It gets sooo stale after a while though knowing where each badguy is going to pop out from, as well as the stupid "spawn ins" along with the monster taking seconds to even respond and attack the player.

IDTech 5 alone will not suffice, ID 'has' got to make improvements to the deployment of enemies as well imo.

I'm not sure why they can't figure out how to randomize said deployment... is it really that difficult to implement?

I'd like to see Doom 2 Hell on Earth recreated with the new engine, but seeing as ID completely redid the storyline for 3 from what 1 was, I imagine they'll go the same route and do something "new". I'm for it, but I'd prefer 2 was brought back to life with a new look.

Give me unique and random carnage (20+ baddies at a time at a minimum for 'big' firefights) and I'll be satisfied.

I also don't agree with making a new engine, and then 'only' making one freaking game with it.... who else besides Raven does ID even license their engines to? I understand why Epic doesn't make SP games anymore, because they make their living from licensing out their engines to so many Devs.... whyTH doesn't ID simply capitalize on their hard work (creation of IDTech) and make a bunch of cool shooters??? If they did: I'd buy every one at first level retail for $50, every time.
2 GBs DDR 2 [800] RAM
ASUS MB

(2) 500 GB drives
Old 07-01-09, 02:36 PM   #92
Protoplasym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomizer View Post
Yeah, thats pretty much how I play games, especially RPGs, I am an explorer, I am one who explores every inch of a dungeon, picking up all the loot I can, then I get to the point where I have to start dropping stuff in my inventory for something better I found
Unfortunately that method of playing does limit replayability in most games, but I have fun and thats all that matters.
In regards to the speeding though a game issue, I remember older games being more score based, so sure you might have beaten the game before anyone else, but whats your score? :P
Though it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to have scores in most games nowdays, especially in more in-depth games like RPGs, but itd actually be a fun idea to have a FPS where it has a scoreboard at the end of the game, with an online database of top scores, as well as local machine scores, I will admit though, I am a stat ***** :P

Unfortunately I think you covered them all that I can think of, unless you go back even older to ES2 and the likes, or get into rogue-likes, which are bloody awesome randomly generated labrynths, where its more like a survival game then an RPG, you have to find food or you can starve to death, and there is so much you can do in them, engraving writing on walls and floors, digging tunnels, kicking/lockpicking doors, forcing the lock off chests if you cant pick locks etc, with many traps and monsters that can catch you at the wrong time and you die, ive starved at least a few times :P
Oh and theres no respawn after death, it has a scoreboard for your character name, class, what level you made it to and how you died etc.
The downside? Most rogue-likes are done in ASCII, and dont have a graphical view, though there is a few with 2d tiles and 1 I know of thats full 3d(though its still using ASCII characters, just, in 3d), look for FalconsClaw or FalconsEye if you're interested, those are I think the best ones.
If you dont mind a it of action in your sandbox though, you might enjoy Prototype, new game that if you have heard of, you control a superpowered experiment, and while its not based off any popular IP like spiderman or anything, you feel more like a superhero then in any other game.

I kind of agree although with RPGs that feature different classes, I usually get plenty of Replay value out of them... Titan Quest for example, I've got a character (my first) who's stuck on the end boss of the 3rd Act, so I decided to start a different character with a different skillset...

And even though that entire game/world is linear and doesn't change: I've had a blast with my 2nd character... I guess I'm just more of a game fanatic and am easier to please overall than most, lol.

Remember Doom 1 still had Points, hahaha. I wouldn't mind it being an option for games today... some like it, some don't... sometimes it can add value for a game.

I checked out this Prototype game and it looks freakin cool as hell - kind of like a mix between Spiderman and Assassins Creed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpA8XdYAtQs

The engine doesn't look as sharp as I imagine it would from the trailer, but the gameplay looks solid for a 3PS.

Yeah, I hear ya on those text games, lol.... I know there's plenty of people who swear by those types of games. I have to have visuals as well though. I have a friend who's an avid DnD guy, and he can't stand playing RPG video games because he gets soooo much more out of using his imagination on pen and paper. To each their own for sure! But I can definitely appreciate why people play those types of games.

I played Battletech back in the day (still have everything for it, hell, even Aerotech as well), 'but' that game had a visual element to it as well, had the maps, had the lil mech figures yada.

anyhoot

oh yeah, as big as you are into Stats... Galactic Civilizations II has ALL kinds of stats!! crazy game with lots of info (it's a turn based 4x Strat game in case you hadn't heard of it)
2 GBs DDR 2 [800] RAM
ASUS MB

(2) 500 GB drives

Old 07-02-09, 01:36 PM   #93
TheANIMAL

Doom4 will not infact be called Doom4.

It is not a sequel to Doom3.

It will look "three times better then Rage" according to John Carmack because target frame rates are 30 instead of Rage's 60.

Information will come out shortly after ID has a good publisher for Doom (according to Carmack a few months ago), but sinse we all know its going to be Zenimax doing the publishing information should comeout after Wolfenstiens release most likely.
Old 07-02-09, 02:42 PM   #94
Protoplasym

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheANIMAL View Post
Doom4 will not infact be called Doom4.

It is not a sequel to Doom3.
It will look "three times better then Rage" according to John Carmack because target frame rates are 30 instead of Rage's 60.
How do you figure? It's following 3 previous games... it isn't a new IP. It's going to be the 4th game of a series.

And this whole, "it's going to look 3x better thing" just doesn't make any sense to me.
IDTech 5 is IDTech 5... how is changing the target frame rate going to "improve" visuals????

I'm all ears, because I haven't been able to find any explanation for this anywhere.

thks
2 GBs DDR 2 [800] RAM
ASUS MB

(2) 500 GB drives
Old 07-05-09, 09:41 PM   #95
Atomizer

Quote:
I kind of agree although with RPGs that feature different classes, I usually get plenty of Replay value out of them... Titan Quest for example, I've got a character (my first) who's stuck on the end boss of the 3rd Act, so I decided to start a different character with a different skillset...

And even though that entire game/world is linear and doesn't change: I've had a blast with my 2nd character... I guess I'm just more of a game fanatic and am easier to please overall than most, lol.
Oh yeah, RPGs are definently a different ball game, I played through Titan Quest and its expansion more then once(cant remember if I actually beat it or not though), and ive played through Diablo 2 at least 20 times, and beaten 1 mode at least 5 times(gotten to nightmare about twice), as you can imagine I cant wait for Diablo 3 :P
I also played Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout as different characters, though, they are more of a sandbox which makes it hard to explore every inch on the first run :P

Quote:
Remember Doom 1 still had Points, hahaha. I wouldn't mind it being an option for games today... some like it, some don't... sometimes it can add value for a game.
I dont remember points in Doom 1..oh wait, yeah at the end of each level, now that you mention it, Duke3d had the same thing, and im pretty sure Quake had it too, not sure about Quake 2 though.

Quote:
I checked out this Prototype game and it looks freakin cool as hell - kind of like a mix between Spiderman and Assassins Creed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpA8XdYAtQs

The engine doesn't look as sharp as I imagine it would from the trailer, but the gameplay looks solid for a 3PS.
Ive been playing the PC version, its pretty damn fun, even just running around the city can be fun for a bit

Quote:
Yeah, I hear ya on those text games, lol.... I know there's plenty of people who swear by those types of games. I have to have visuals as well though. I have a friend who's an avid DnD guy, and he can't stand playing RPG video games because he gets soooo much more out of using his imagination on pen and paper. To each their own for sure! But I can definitely appreciate why people play those types of games.

I played Battletech back in the day (still have everything for it, hell, even Aerotech as well), 'but' that game had a visual element to it as well, had the maps, had the lil mech figures yada.
I am the same way, and have a friend who is exactly the same! He hates most RPG computer games, and is currently playing shadowrun(he hates the recent video game of it though, even though its a shooter and not an RPG).
I guess there is always the pen and paper guy though :P
(Ive played in one of his sessions but I couldnt get into it).

As for rogue-likes, someone really needs to take the roguelike system, and build a fully animated game out of it, either Diablo style or Elder Scrolls style, preferably ES style, but itd be much harder to get right.
And if noone else does it, I will do it soon enough, I am getting back into programming after several years of not really doing anything with it, infact I just finished my Chip8 emulation core as a warmup

Quote:
oh yeah, as big as you are into Stats... Galactic Civilizations II has ALL kinds of stats!! crazy game with lots of info (it's a turn based 4x Strat game in case you hadn't heard of it)
Yeah I have played GalCiv2, not a bad game but for some reason it didnt hook me(not sure why now)

Sorry for being off topic aswell, as far as Doom 4 goes, with the 30/60fps target thing, essentially when you're trying to target 60FPS you're forced to cut stuff out and optimize things to get the performance at a solid 60FPS(ie, they try to optimize every inch of the game so its always hitting the same FPS), obviously thats impossible but they can get something that is reasonably constant.
Lowering the target FPS from 60 to 30fps allows them to essentially have double the amount of stuff on the screen at any one time, then what they could at 60fps.
Now assuming Rage has been in development for alot longer then any Doom 4 development, Rage should hit stores a year or 2 ahead of Doom 4, so its reasonable to say Doom 4 will look 3 times as good as Rage(which I assume is targeting 60fps).
As for not being called Doom 4 or being a sequel of Doom 3, that also can make sense, Doom 3 was kind of a reimagining of Doom 1s storyline, so Doom 4 could continue on from Doom 2, and be more oldschool then Doom 3 was.
And to get away from being called, Doom 4, they could easily introduce a subtitle instead, like "Doom: The gates of hell" or something corny like that...
Thats my thoughts on the subject anyway
Atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 09:12 AM   #96
TheANIMAL

Quote:
How do you figure? It's following 3 previous games... it isn't a new IP. It's going to be the 4th game of a series.
I'm guessing it isn't a continuation of the doom3 storyline, it has got a dedicted story writer; Graham Joyce.

On April 10, 2009 GameSpot published an interview with id Software's CEO Todd Hollenshead in which he revealed that Doom 4 is "deep in development." He stated however that the game is "not [in] pre-production". The development team is "relatively new" and id is "still actually hiring people" onto the Doom 4 team. GameSpot asked Hollenshead if Doom 4 is "a sequel? A reboot? A prequel?" and his response is "Gosh, that's actually an excellent question. It's not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either. Doom 3 was sort of a reboot. It's a little bit different than those, and if I told you why, I would get my ass kicked when I got back. So I'll just have to leave it at that."[5] On June 23, 2009, ZeniMax Media, best known for Bethesda Softworks, acquired id Software and announced that all future id Software games not subject to current third-party publishing deals (i.e. Rage by EA) will be published by Bethesda Softworks, Doom 4 being one.

Quote:
And this whole, "it's going to look 3x better thing" just doesn't make any sense to me.
IDTech 5 is IDTech 5... how is changing the target frame rate going to "improve" visuals????

I'm all ears, because I haven't been able to find any explanation for this anywhere.

thks
Well, i'm speculating here, with higher resolution textures, more polygons and more accurate physics i imagine that Doom 4 will be better looking than Rage, but the framerates will be slower, which is fine because its aiming for 30 fps rather than 60 needed for a racing game like Rage.

Whether it looks 3 x better remains to be seen, that was just what Carmack said, personally i doubt it but what do i know. ???