Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-08, 12:03 PM   #49
Lfctony

Default Re: So I got second GTX280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
It can also work in opposition. What one perceives may be all in their head.

If I perceive a pink elephant across the room dressed in polka-dot boxer shorts, does it mean that he exists?

Precisely the point. It's a lot easier to see something after someone else puts the idea in your head, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's an accurate perception.

For the record, I'm not saying that microstuttering does not exist. I've seen the research and graphs and can follow the logic. But this issue is way, way, WAY overblown to the point of being ridiculous now. People are paranoid about an issue that rears its head maybe 1-2% of the time on multi-GPU configs in a way that can be perceived. And even when it does occur, it's usually a productive tradeoff since 35-45fps--the point it seems to occur at--is still about double the framerate they would get on a single card in that situation.

The bottom line is that if your setup is strong enough to push 45+ fps on a consistent basis in the games you play, then you will probably NEVER notice this issue.
A pink elephant noticed by 1000 people is not the same as an elephant noticed by one person. Here, I'm the only only that's experienced it...

Regarding micro-stuttering, nobody put the idea in my head. I knew it existed, I thought I might not notice it, I did, and I didn't like it. So, there. Nobody came and pointed it out, I compared things myself and decided... If it exists, which you admit it probably does, it's all up to preference and you can't dictate to people what to do, just because it doesn't bother you or you haven't noticed it. Whether people choose to let it bother them or not, is up to them... Don't you agree?
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 12:37 PM   #50
Heinz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
A pink elephant noticed by 1000 people is not the same as an elephant noticed by one person. Here, I'm the only only that's experienced it...

Regarding micro-stuttering, nobody put the idea in my head. I knew it existed, I thought I might not notice it, I did, and I didn't like it. So, there. Nobody came and pointed it out, I compared things myself and decided... If it exists, which you admit it probably does, it's all up to preference and you can't dictate to people what to do, just because it doesn't bother you or you haven't noticed it. Whether people choose to let it bother them or not, is up to them... Don't you agree?
Just in case somebody in this tread dictates to people what to do, the same would apply to you.
Anyway what's so hard to understand that somebody else latest crossfire set-up might not exactly be the same like your SLI set-up. Or maybe they're using it more wisely. If somebody doesn't notice the microstuttering why try to convince them they must.
People can only report they own experience same like you do yours.

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 12:51 PM   #51
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
Just in case somebody in this tread dictates to people what to do, the same would apply to you.
Anyway what's so hard to understand that somebody else latest crossfire set-up might not exactly be the same like your SLI set-up. Or maybe they're using it more wisely. If somebody doesn't notice the microstuttering why try to convince them they must.
People can only report they own experience same like you do yours.
Xion X2 said it's blown way out of proportion and that he calls bull****... That's like calling people crazy and that it doesn't exist. As I said in my post, not all people notice it, but you can't say we're crazy because we're bothered by it. My point is it exists, some people are bothered by it, others are not, others don't even know it's there... I tried SLI, didn't like it, switched back. I never dictated anything to people, just to acknowledge that there is such an issue that maybe not everyone notices and it should be dealt with... Was I wrong somehow? Xion X2 wasn't reporting on his experience only, he was basically saying we're nuts... Acknowledging something doesn't mean experiencing something first hand. It means accepting its existence, ie knowing about it...

And AFAIK, people with 4870s have experienced it as well. So it's still there with the latest generation of cards, supposedly lessened but still present.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 12:59 PM   #52
dookika
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post

For the record, I'm not saying that microstuttering does not exist. I've seen the research and graphs and can follow the logic. But this issue is way, way, WAY overblown to the point of being ridiculous now.
I agree with this 100%. Back when I had SLI'd 8800GTX's the only game that gave me any stuttering issues at all was Oblivion which also stutters on a single card but was a little worse on my SLI'd 8800's.

Every other game I played was just as smooth as with a single card so I have to say that I also think this microstuttering stuff is grossly exaggerated as well especially since Microstuttering is supposed to be even less of an issue with both the HD 4870's and the 200 series.
dookika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 02:42 PM   #53
Heinz68

Quote:
Xion X2 said it's blown way out of proportion and that he calls bull****... That's like calling people crazy and that it doesn't exist. As I said in my post, not all people notice it, but you can't say we're crazy because we're bothered by it. My point is it exists, some people are bothered by it, others are not, others don't even know it's there... I tried SLI, didn't like it, switched back. I never dictated anything to people, just to acknowledge that there is such an issue that maybe not everyone notices and it should be dealt with... Was I wrong somehow? Xion X2 wasn't reporting on his experience only, he was basically saying we're nuts... Acknowledging something doesn't mean experiencing something first hand. It means accepting its existence, ie knowing about it...

And AFAIK, people with 4870s have experienced it as well. So it's still there with the latest generation of cards, supposedly lessened but still present.
Ok lets say you're right.
Before I did reply I noticed you're going out of your way warning people about the microstuttering and what they should or shouldn't buy. So it almost looked to me like you have an agenda.

Ok lets say you're very nice guy helping people to save money.

But that also is not the case. Your signature SLI/Crossfire FTL! is no more warning. Telling people after the fact they purchased the 2 card system that they're losers doesn't help them any.
On top most off them are probably very happy with what they have so why try to spoil the fun.

The bottom line is why do you think calling people losers is any better than calling them crazy? plus the crazy calling was only your conclusion.

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 02:46 PM   #54
Xion X2

NM. Double-post.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 02:51 PM   #55
dookika
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
Ok lets say you're right.
Before I did reply I noticed you're going out of your way warning people about the microstuttering and what they should or shouldn't buy. So it almost looked to me like you have an agenda.

Ok lets say you're very nice guy helping people to save money.

But that also is not the case. Your signature SLI/Crossfire FTL! is no more warning. Telling people after the fact they purchased the 2 card system that they're losers doesn't help them any.
On top most off them are probably very happy with what they have so why try to spoil the fun.

The bottom line is why do you think calling people losers is any better than calling them crazy? plus the crazy calling was only your conclusion.

Good call Heinz68, he is also slamming the HD 4870X2 in a completely different thread and calling it the king of Microstutter

Sounds like he is having buyers remorse over his 2 GTX 280's.
Old 08-10-08, 02:54 PM   #56
Xion X2

Quote:
Xion X2 said it's blown way out of proportion and that he calls bull****... That's like calling people crazy
Don't be so melodramatic. I never called anyone crazy; I'm simply saying that people have taken this idea of a performance hit and just blown it out of proportion. It's being grossly exaggerated--far above the realism of the issue. I have actually sat here for the past month or so and bit my tongue whenever this subject came up, but like you, I have my own experience and opinion based on that experience. And I have every right to express it.

I'll tell you what needs to happen. Science needs to be involved here. We need someone to conduct research on what the human eye can actually see and the % of time this variance in framerate could really be noticed by your average individual. Until then, these arguments and "perceptions" will remain relatively pointless as they are subjective viewpoints.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-08, 02:55 PM   #57
dookika
*BANNED*

nm
Old 08-10-08, 02:56 PM   #58
dookika
*BANNED*

nm
Old 08-10-08, 03:18 PM   #59
dookika
*BANNED*

nm
Old 08-10-08, 07:19 PM   #60
XxDeadlyxX
STALKER!!!!!!!!

Got new 750i motherboard today, so finally have my 2 GTX 280's installed, I'll report soon if I notice any stuttering.
Main PC [Core i7 980X @ 4.3GHz] [Gigabyte X58A-UD7] [7TB of HDDs] [2x Inno3D GTX 480 SLI @ stock] [12GB Team Xtreem 7-7-7-24 @ 1500mhz] [Antec 1200] [Alienware AW2310 (general use/3D Vision) and Samsung 46B650 @ 1080p24] [X-Fi Forte] [Pioneer Blu-ray BDC-S02] [Silverstone Strider 1500W] [Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1] [Windows 7 x64] 3DMark Vantage - 38010
XxDeadlyxX is offline   Reply With Quote