Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-08, 06:00 PM   #1
younan1

Default Not-so-happy ATI to Nvidia convert

A few days ago I finally got tired of my ATI card and bought an old nvidia 7600. I installed it into my Gutsy computer and installed the driver recommended by the restricted driver manager, which turned out to be the nvidia 100.xx.xx driver. 3D was perfect! although 2d was sluggish.

I then did a clean install of Hardy and installed the driver recommended again, this time it was the nvidia 169.xx.xx. Performace was poor compared to the old driver! it was really disappointing.

So I installed Envy and now I have driver version 173.14.19, the latest available for my card, and it is quickyer than the 169.xx.xx, but still not as good as the old 100.xx.xx!

I can really feel the difference with wobbly windows, and glxgears gives about 1/5 the frame rate

what gives? do i need to tweak my xorg.conf?

Also, 2D was better on my ATI!
younan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 09:26 AM   #2
younan1

Default Re: Not-so-happy ATI to Nvidia convert

no one has experienced this?
Old 08-03-08, 03:55 PM   #3
Visno

I've had alot of issues and trouble with the 173.xx.xx drivers causing tons of crashes and slow downs. I'm currently using a 8800GTS Card and I've grabed the beta of 177.13. Even though it says specifically added support for GTX 260 and 280, you can use this for other nvidia cards. Yours will work. Doing this I no longer crash with Ubuntu and everything has increased dramatically in speed.

You can get the beta from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114955 You'll need to manually install these, if you're unsure how to do this I can respond back and tell you how to.
Visno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 09:00 PM   #4
younan1

Back when I used to use ATI drivers, I installed new driver releases manually simply by running the binary, but I didn't like how I couldn't manage the drivers with my package manager. Files were deposited left and right, other files held back form auto-updates, it made things very hairy when it came time to switch to nvidia.

I like the Envy option, seems more controlled than using the installers, but if you think i shouldn't worry about it, maybe i'll give it a shot anyway

any idea when the beta driver will be ready for release?
Old 08-03-08, 09:31 PM   #5
Visno

Yes, I really would recommend installing the beta and no I do not know when they will be finalized.

How to install Manually.. Download 177.13 driver to your desktop

In Ubuntu goto the System menu ---> Administration -->Update Manager. Check for all updates and install.

Then Reboot.

Goto Application-->Accessories-->Terminal Type sudo apt-get install gcc ia32-libs build-essential xserver-xorg-dev libc-dev After this installs you can type sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) just to make sure you're up to date. Download any kernal updates if you need them.

Type sudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common in the terminal. Once this opens up edit your Disabled_Modules to look like this DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new" Save and exit.

Press CTRL +ALT+F1 all at the same time. Once the prompt comes up login as normal with your user name and password. When the command line appears type cd Desktop. Then type sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Now run the Nvidia installer by typing sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-177.13-pkg2.run Click yes for everything. Once you're back at the terminal you can type sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start and log back into Ubuntu.

To make sure this is working correctly goto Applications-->System Tools-->Nvidia X Server Settings You should be able to change all options via this control panel with no issues.
Old 08-03-08, 10:10 PM   #6
younan1

Thanks for the comprehensive guide! The ia-32libs package wasn't found in Hardy's repo, but the Envy script generated kernel a module and installed all the other packages already.

I'm now running the beta driver now. My immediate gut reaction was that there has been a performance boost, but it might have been the power of suggestion, I'll have to wait for a more long term impression and I'll report back.

One area that has certainly improved is full-screen flash video. It was embarrassingly sluggish before, seems to be running flawlessly now, especially with the flash 10 plugin pre-release.

Wobbly windows still seems a tiny bit stuttery compared to the old driver, but I can live with it
Old 08-03-08, 10:22 PM   #7
Visno

There was a small typo, it should of been sudo apt-get install ia32-libs You need these installed if you're running 64-bit ubuntu. It also allows 32bit opengl to render correctly. If you're on 64bit, you'll need to rerun the installer again and everything will be working correctly. I edited the above post with the correct terminal command.
Old 08-03-08, 10:50 PM   #8
younan1

i have an old 32bit chip, no worries.

I might have spoken too quickly about improved 2d performance.

Old 08-03-08, 11:36 PM   #9
Visno

I know I had issues if I messed with the default settings under antialiasing. I've left those alone and performance has been great.