Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-08-08, 05:16 PM   #1
maik

Default Quadro NVS 285 System Freezing

I have a Quadro NVS 285 in my Dell Precision with FreeBSD 7, Xorg 7 and the nvidia 173.14.12 driver. When I try to startx, even with just using the nvidia-xconfig and X -config /path/to/xorg.conf 99 times out of 100 it will hard lock the system. I say 99 times out of 100 because out of about that many times booting the computer, I have actually gotten X to start and saw the black and green splash screen (albeit with some green artifact lines, indicative of a bug somewhere). X ran just fine with the exception of some weird drawing problem with the cursor, but that was something I could live with. I tested GLMatrix screensaver and it ran flawlessly so there was definitely acceleration going on. I'm kind of at wit's end and would like to see if anyone can offer advice as to where to go from here. I'm going to try the two legacy drivers to see if they offer any help to my problem.

Maik
maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 06:12 PM   #2
maik

Default Re: Quadro NVS 285 System Freezing

Well I seem to have solved my problem. I was messing around trying different driver version and decided to try the newest beta (177). It gave the exact same behavior I was receiving with the 173 version and while searching around a bit more I came across someone who had a Xeon processor with 4 GB of RAM, like me. He said he dropped down the RAM to 2GB and it seemed to have cured his problems. At this point I thought to myself, self, wouldn't it be stupid if that solved your problem too? Lo and behold, it did. I don't like having to use 2GB of RAM when I have 2x2GB sticks so I can't even salvage a mere 3GB, but I'll do what I have to I guess. Please, oh please can we have AMD64 NVIDIA drivers soon?

Maik
maik is offline   Reply With Quote