Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-08, 09:16 AM   #1
jbrandmeyer

Default Strange warping on TV-Out

I'm building a new HTPC and picked up a low-profile G72-based card for its TV-Out over S-Video. It was very easy to get the display to appear on the TV at the resolution I wanted (800x600), but there is some strange artifacting going on. The width of the screen at any given point is dependant on the brightness of the screen in that area. For example, when viewing from top to bottom, if the screen is all bright, then the image is barrel-shaped. If the screen has some black regions (like the attached picture), it gets narrower, until it gets to a bright spot. I've tried changing the S-Video cable, raising and lowering the resolution, and adjusting the overscan, but none of these settings affects the performance. What on earth could be causing this, and what can I do about it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warped picture.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	32592  
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (113.3 KB, 88 views)
jbrandmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 03:21 AM   #2
zarck

Default Re: Strange warping on TV-Out

Have the same problem with a gforce 8600 GTS

Aswell as unvoluntary overscan that makes me lose ~35pixels on both left and right side at 720x576 (all other resolutions does the same, but havnt counted how many pixels, but seams that higher resolution chops more).

I recon until nVidia gives us the means to tune the tv-out were kinda screwed.
zarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 11:58 AM   #3
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandmeyer View Post
If the screen has some black regions (like the attached picture), it gets narrower, until it gets to a bright spot.
I think that is a property of your TV, not the videocard.
I remember that kind of artifacts from the times I had an old CRT TV.
With an LCD or Plasma this will not occur.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 12:03 PM   #4
_Inferno_

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl View Post
I think that is a property of your TV, not the videocard.
I remember that kind of artifacts from the times I had an old CRT TV.
With an LCD or Plasma this will not occur.
Its the TV's fault... ok there...
_Inferno_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 01:08 PM   #5
jbrandmeyer

In my case I can over/under scan as much as I want to to control the overall size of the image on the TV, but the warping stays the same. None of the other devices on this system (DVD player and cable box) that use S-Video to send images to the TV have this issue. An electrical engineering friend suggested that it could be caused by poor component choice by the board vendor, such as a poorly trimmed capacitor. I'm somewhat inclined to agree, but I was hoping for a better diagnosis from a somewhat more official source. If it is the a hardware problem, should I try to RMA the card for another in the same line, or try to get a refund and buy a different make/model?
Old 08-11-08, 03:21 PM   #6
pe1chl

Did you try to play a DVD that has the same picture content as what you are trying to send from the computer?
How did your TV display that?
Same question the other way around: did you display a typical TV picture, not a dekstop with a big black window on it, from your computer?
How did your TV display that?

When you want a good picture quality, swap the TV. Preferably for something that does not require TV standards to be used between PC and TV.
(i.e. a screen with a VGA, DVI or HDMI input)
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 07:00 PM   #7
jbrandmeyer

Yes. DVD's coming from the DVD player are unaffected (yes, even the exact same DVD). I suppose the next best thing to "the other way around" would be that the picture coming from a video game console in a bright game also comes out square.

Yes, I realize I could just drop several hundred USD more on a nice TV with DVI input. The whole point of this exercise is to defer that cost for as long as I can.

The nastiest part isn't just that the darker regions are bent inward, but that brighter regions are bent outward. A solid (or mostly) bright screen has a barrel shape to it.

Also, I tested TV-out from my laptop's s-video port and that was square and normal too. Its not the TV.